Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
last_straw

What to do. D-Day Minus One

I had acne for as long as I could remember. Always whiteheads, never blackheads. Not severe. Used to use tetrocycline in college, got massive sunburn, but I was symptom-free for months. Stopped for many years, then went on minocycline, but stopped that, too. Used different kind of ointments (I forgot names), but I HATE using any kind of ointments.

Based on all the advice dermotologists have given me and other research, food does not cause acne generally. However, in my case, although I can't prove it, I believe some sort of food is causing it. I try to eat non-greasy, non-fatty foods, and no chocolate. This helps, but it always end up that I take a trip somewhere, have a greasy hot dog etc at a game or something, I come back home, and sure enough, without fail, I can feel some acne coming on. And a day after that, a whitehead starts forming.

Right now I have 9 various whitehaeds/red spots (mostly lower face, will post pic tomorrow). I don't know why all of a sudden it's getting worse. Twice daily I use Clearisol Daily Face Wash with Triclosan. I have used this many years because it's not irritaing, doesn't dry me out, and I feel cleaner for some reason.

What I plan on doing starting tomorrow, is eliminate almost all foods from my diet. For breakfast I will have plain corn flakes with non-fat soy milk. For lunch I will have rice and fermented soy-beans. For snacks, I will only eat Snyders salted pretzels (the big ones) and carrots. Also, bananas, strawberries and other assorted fruits and vegetables. For dinner, I asked my wife to make healthy meals, NO DAIRY, NO FATTY meats etc. For drinks, I will drink only filtered water (BRITA), morning, noon and night. (This will be tough for me as I always drink oj in the morning.) I will be chewing Arm & Hammer Advance Breath Care gum, but I don't think this is really releveant to acne.

I bought new gillete sensor excel razors and will throw them out after 2 weeks (I usually use them for 3 weeks). I also bought Men's formula multi-vitamins. It has lots of stuff in it and so maybe something in there will help me. I also bought that baccilus stuff that is in yogurt. Does anyone know if that will help at all? Finally, I will try not to rest my chin on my face. This is very hard for me as it's a long ago learned habit. And since I am always at the computer, it's easy for me to do this. Also, if I get the urge to scratch, I will take a tissue and use that instead of my bacteria-laden hands etc.

For the past few months I have been unemployed and I feel it is affecting the interview process which is disconcerting to say the least. And so this is why I am attempting this.

The reason why I am documenting this here is so I can look back at my regimen and remind myself of what to eat and NOT to eat, what to do and what NOT to do. If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know. Remember, I will NOT use any kind of ointment. Thanks in advance.

I have 7 whiteheads in chin area, 1 new whitehead on nose, and 2 red spots from older acne. I shaved today which doesn't make it better. I did put on after-shave balm by Nivea. Very soothing.

Because of some post that mentioned that Iodine may aggravate acne, I decided to buy a new multi-vitamin without Iodine. It doesn't have Zinc though. So it's a tradeoff I suppose. Which one should I use?

Today I ate bananas, carrots, fermented soybeans and rice, riceballs, strawberries, bamboo shoots, green peas (w/ sea salt), miso soup, and Snyder's salted pretzels. I called the Snyder helpline and found out its salt doesn't contain Iodine (yeah!!!). I drank only filtered water (Brita).

Today I have 4 whiteheads, 2 on lower cheek, 1 on chin and 1 on upper chin. I have red acne mark forming on forehead and red mark new acne forming on cheek close to nose.

I ate plain corn flakes, non-fat soymilk, fermented soybeans with rice, Snyder's salted pretzels, strawberries, melon, pineapple, grapes, rasberries and pears. I also ate miso soup with tofu and seaweed and bamboo shoots. And 2 riceballs with seaweed. Drank filtered water and one cup of Chamomille tea.

I am also taking one multivitamin (without Iodine & Zinc). And am being careful about going to sleep at least 2 hours before eating anything (good idea from other message).

I still can't tell if this is having any effect but I'm hopeful!

Well, good work on eating healthy. And that idea about not sleeping within 2 hours of sleep I think I said, but it's true. One other thing that you might wanna try to do is do an internal cleanse. Your eating healthy but it may not do too much if your insides are still filled with toxins from eating unhealthy for the past however many years. I think you see my point. In fact, i'm keeping track of my progress and i'm kind of doing what your doing, i have my own log and i'll update in a couple days, but if you want some more info about doing an internal cleanse than you can email me at [email protected] You just basically use cleansing herbs and cleansing foods. I've done it in the past but a little different from which I felt really ill from it, but this is a little different. Anyways, keep up the work, it's tough....real tough....to eat healthy in todays' world. Today I cut up my fresh carrots and celery and of the such (snacking on them the whole time.) But just get in the habit of eating healthy and it won't be AS hard. I believe it takes around 21 days to make or break a habit...eat healthy for 3 weeks then it would be "THE NORM" and you'll be use to it. I actually find it fun to eat healthy...i'm just trying to figure out more and more things that I can cook or what not cuz eating healthy cuts out about 90 percent or more of the food in today's world. lol I feel like i'm blabbing on so hit me up with an email if you wanna know more about cleansing. Laters

-Shawn-

I have 5 whiteheads and one big red spot on forehead. Lots of dried ones which is a good sign.

Someone recommended to me that I work out. Currently I don't work at all. And to top it off, I never sweat. Even if I do exercise it's very difficult for me to actually sweat. Does anyone else have this problem? I really don't want to work out. Maybe take a walk but not work out. But I need to do something so I sweat.

Anyway today I ate cornflakes and non-fat soymilk. Fermented soybeans and rice for lunch, and miso soup, bamboo shoots, string beans, and rice balls.

Last straw, that is so funny, "I really don't want to work out. Maybe take a walk but not work out." I think a lot of people feel that way.

At any rate, don't be concerned that you don't sweat. Check out http://www.acne.org/faq.html#sweat

There's no reason why sweating would be beneficial for acne. However, for overall peace of mind and for a happier, healthier life, everyone should engage in physical activity. This will at least help with keeping your mood elevated, and since body and mind are interconnected, it certainly can't hurt.

-Dan

Yeah, Dan knows what he's talking about...since he's a personal trainer at a gym. (I assume that's still what you do Dan?) But anyways, like he said, don't think sweating will help or hurt your acne, but the benefits of working out is huge.....gives you an overall well-being of yourself. Cheers

-Shawn-

Guest fatman_uk

I'm after being a personal trainer, it'll take a few years of study an work but im sure i'll get there eventually. :D

Back to the topic, i heard this 'mood elevation' caused by excersize is caused by 'endocrines' bein released, or the happy hormone, i can't remember the name tho. I know 'endorphines' make u sleep so it musta been endocrines... that has sumthin to do with fitness i think, since its on my Creatine label, hehe. :D :roll: :?

-Gaz

Well, I am doing well. One dried up whitehead on chin. 2 red marks on each side of cheek. One fairly large red amrk on forehead.

I'm eating the exact same things as I have listed before. I only drink filtered water. Today I forgot to take multi-vitamin. I am remembering to use a tissue if I feel an urge to scratch. Resting on my chin is kept to absolute minimum.

So sweat doesn't matter, cool. But now this person says that if you get warm from inside when working out it will help. How, I have no idea, and neither do they. But it seems my elimination diet is doing quite well. I think next week will be key. It's going to be hard because I'm going to a party sat nite and it will be SOOO tempting to eat some good food. But I have to have the will power to not touch it. It's a potluck so I will bring some non-fat food.

Well, I have 1 very small whitehead between nose and cheek. One small whitehead in chin area, and one small white head in lower cheek area. Also a red mark on forehead. Nevertheless, all things considered I'm doing incredible. There are dried up whiteheads everywhere! It's quite fascinating. I am now totally convinced I have an allergic reaction to some kind of food which causes me to break out.

I'm going to continue with my elimination diet for this coming week as well. Saturday nite party was really tough. So much food. It was funny because they asked me why I wasn't eating stuff. I thought for a sec and replied, 'I can't eat dairy'. They totally bought that! Since dairy is pretty much in everything they didn't think it weird that I wasn't eating anything. :D.