Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi. I'm Taylor, and I just joined this sites minutes ago. I've actually lurked this site for a couple years and finally decided to join. I just want to share my story and hopefully some people will be able to relate to the pain I'm feeling..

I'm 13 years old and have suffered from acne for about 3-4 years..since I was 10. I know you probably think I'm young and overreacting, but my acne has really taken a toll on my self esteem. At the moment, my acne is about moderate. At the moment, my forehead, cheeks, and chin is broken out. My back also has quite a few pimples, and my nose has some blackheads...Only a handful of kids at my school have acne and it makes me feel alone and hopeless.

I don't have many friends. I know it's probably because I don't really interact with a lot of people at school, and not because of my acne, but sometimes I feel like people think I'm gross and repulsive because of my skin. I've always had self esteem problems and my acne is DEFINITELY not helping. The only thing that keeps my going is my family. My family is amazing...they understand the pain I'm going through and they never, ever comment on my skin. My parents are the only people I can come to and cry about my skin.

Right now, I just feel so ugly and diseased and horrible. I know that a lot of people here have such worse acne than me, but I've always had self esteem problems and acne is definitely not helping. My mom offered to take me to a dermatologist but I just can't stand the thought of my skin being probed and examined and critiqued. At the moment, I'm using Clinique 3 step Acne Solutions...It's controlling my acne but not clearing it. I've been trying to drink about 5 16 oz. bottles of water a day and to limit my sugar consumption. I also sleep with my hair clipped back, wash my pillowcases once or twice a week, and despite all this hard work my skin is still broken out. Most people I know do absolutely nothing but wash their face and they have such beautiful skin! I don't understand it...

Sorry for the long post. Before I wrap this up, I just want to say thanks to all the wonderful people on this forum. Everyone seems so supportive and wonderful and I'm so happy that there's people going through what I'm going through.

Thank you for joining the site and sharing your story. Even though the org is a support place for you to vent your emotions, it still takes courage to share your story. ^_^

Acne can be very frustrating, we've all been there. You are lucky to have parents who are understanding and even if you don't have a ton of friends, ask yourself this: Are they genuine friends who care about you? I have always been under the mindset that a few wonderful people you can call friends are better than dozens who simply have a superficial relationship with you.

Unfortunately, acne is multi-faceted and different for almost everyone. I'm sure you know this by now, as you've been around the org for a while and it's quite large.

Just don't give up hope because like everything in life, this too shall pass. And if it doesn't... who is to say you won't change or view acne differently? It may seem impossible, but I can attest to a change of perspective made all the difference for me. Hang in there. :comfort: =)

The only thing that keeps my going is my family. My family is amazing...they understand the pain I'm going through and they never, ever comment on my skin. My parents are the only people I can come to and cry about my skin.

Most people I know do absolutely nothing but wash their face and they have such beautiful skin! I don't understand it...

I completely concur with those two statements. My mom has been with me on this rocky journey ever since I actually decided to do something about my skin. I admit that I inflicted some of this upon myself because I *used* to be a picker. She is the only one who understands. And about knowing the people who don't do anything about their skin, my best friend has gorgeous skin. She has light olive toned skin, with maybe like one tiny clogged pore on her nose. That's it! I always compliment her on her skin, but deep down, I'm jealous. I can only hope to have skin similar to hers (my skin, prepuberty, was wonderful.)

Hiya! I'm fifteen and I joined when I was 13 too, so I know where you're coming from.

At the moment, my forehead, cheeks, and chin is broken out. My back also has quite a few pimples, and my nose has some blackheads...Only a handful of kids at my school have acne and it makes me feel alone and hopeless.

go to the derm. We've all been afraid and embarassed to go but rarely does one ever regret it. It is their job to help people with skin issues, dont be afraid of being judged. DO IT and dont end up wishing you had gone sooner like some people do.

goodluck and im sorry you have to deal with this stuff.

Yeah really just go to the derm. From my experience most over the counter stuff do nothing at all really. You got to know derms see peoples' skins for a living, they would of seen patients with way worse acne then you, or just way worse skin disorder. They won't be judging you.

Thank you everyone so much for your kind words....I broke down and started crying to my mom and she decided to make me a dermatologist appointment. Guess I'll just have to suck it up.