Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lb2

is milk enough?

Hello, sorry I keep posting so many things on here, i just have so many questions. Okay, well I take my pills at 10am and 10pm. I take each pill with some milk. My mom thinks it might not be enough since it seems like the pill is taking a while to kick in (though it hasn't even been 2 months yet.) I am definitely not going to take my pill at 10pm with a bunch of food, but i could possibly in the morning (though i would rather not.) Does anyone have any input on whether or not the milk is enough or what I could maybe take it with that isn't too hearty and fatty? I'm also going for a checkup at my derm later on this month, so i'll be asking then. But until that time, I'm curious.

I take mine in the morning with breakfast and milk, I always try to eat something with it though because my derm says it does help my body to absorb it faster and better. Maybe try to eat something small and some milk I think that would be enough.

i keep reading you are suppose to take it with a meal high in fat

which sucks cuz i usualy try to keep everything i eat low in fat lol

but like i remember one person on here saying she takes her with a handful of nuts, since they are high in fat, but not bad fat.

i havent always taken my pills with lots of food, but that could explain why my results never really show up till the last 2 months lol

Okay thanks, you guys have been really helpful. I'm just concerned about my nighttime pill and having to take it with like a meal. I dont eat past 8 oclock usually and when i do I feel sick. I'll just try and limit it to something small but still fat, maybe some peanut butter.

If I'm not that hungry I take it with nuts; 1/3 of a cup is 24g of fat (good fat). Chicken with the skin is high in fat too so I'll sometimes have roast chicken for dinner.

Take accutane with a meal and not just milk. So just take it with breakfast and dinner each night and not at 10 am and 10 pm. You don't need to space it out exactly 12 hours apart. I worry that taking it with just toast and milk is not enough.

The nuts sound great, but my derm told me specifically to make sure it was as close to exactly 12 hours apart as i could get it. I'll talk to them when i go and see if i can take them closer together but for now i don't think i should..

The thing is that isotretinoin is fat-soluble, and to properly digest and absorb lipids in the food, they need to be mixed up with bile. If you take your pills with a meal, you can be sure that there is enough bile being secreted into your intestine for all the lipids - and hence also the Accutane - to be properly digested and absorbed. If you only take it with, say, water or another low-fat drink, there's a risk that it'll just pass undigested and unabsorbed in the intestine because it hardly causes bile to be secreted.

So to second the other answers here, you should definitely take your pills with some food - that's definitely more important than spacing the pills to exactly 12h. It isn't strictly essential that it's fatty food, but it might help the absorption a little compared to non-fatty foods..

Spacing it exactly 12 hours apart is nonsense. Actually most people take it just once a day although twice a day is common as well. Taking it with a meal is the most important thing you can do.

Thanks for all of your input guys. I'm definitely going to mention all of these things to my derm and ask wtf is up. The only this is, I take accutane in a study and i'm constantly being tested for my side effects, sight, hearing, etc. There are a few hundred others in this study so I wouldn't be surprised if I have to take the pills 12 hours apart because they have to have everyone in the study doing the same exact thing. That's my only concern, which i will DEF be talking to my derm about. As for now, I've already started to take my pill with some milk AND some peanut butter or nuts, or something that's fatty but not TOO fatty. Thanks again for all the responses <3

You're on a study? Cool! I guess I didn't read closely enough. What's the study about? Anyway, sorry I guess you do have to take it 12 hours apart if that's the study protocol, but I think its smart to ask your doctor like you are anyway.

Yeah, my derm told me I would really benefit from accutane after getting the same cyst drained like 4 times having it come back, so it just so happened that that specific day I was at the office was the last day they were taking candidates for the accutane study thats studying the side effects I'm having each month and if my height or weight is effected or vision and hearing. Stuff like that since I guess accutane is being "questioned". But they give you it for free for 5 months AND pay you about 500 dollars after it's over for participating. I was really grateful considering that my family does not have health insurance and it would cost A LOT (Like 350 a month or something ridiculous). There are only a few downfalls about it like having to follow times and whatnot and having to be tested for different things ALL the time. The major thing that bugs me is that I can't take ANY other kind of anti biotic or anything that could technically help my skin besides the accutane. I also can't have ANYTHING drained or injected (which i'm VERY used to) but i suppose if accutane slows down healing, I probably shouldn't be getting my face poked and squeezed anyway.

But yeah, I will totally mention it to my Dermatologist. :)