Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
b_webb

Pre-Accutane Log leading up to my first dose on Feb. 1st!

Acne: Severe

Even though i'm not on Accutane yet; I figured now would be a good time to start my log since i seem to be experiencing a lot of the side-effects common to Accutane.

I went to the dermatologist Dec. 30th & apparently i'm one of the worst cases he's seen in awhile. His automatic response? Accutane.

So now i'm waiting the 30 days before i can start my course & get my blood work in.

Hope it's all good! I've also been worrying about my insurance not covering the full price.

In the meantime, my derm prescribed me 150 mg a day of Doryx & Epiduo gel at night.. so my acne doesn't get worse.

So far, it's day 9 of pre-treatment.

I've been experiencing very mild dryness. It wasn't til today that i noticed the flaking getting really bad. I actually had an interview today for a job & of course i went for the foundation. It made my skin look 10x worse, it burnt so bad, and flaked terribly. I hadn't felt so crappy in awhile.

I removed the foundation & just went with my usual eye make-up- hoping the interviewer wouldn't judge me on my acne. What a self esteem kill today.

Lately i've been doing a lot of research on new face moisturizers & cleansers. I've always been drawn to the Aveeno line so i think I want to try their 'Ultra Calming' products.

Has anyone tried the Aveeno shampoo/conditioners? I saw they have one for dry/itchy scalps that smells like peppermint. It sounds so amazing.

I'll try to post pictures when i get the courage to take them. haha.

Girl, I hear ya. My dermo also prescribed the Epiduo while I was in the 30 day waiting period. Toward the end (last week or so) it had me itching like CRAZY. I honestly don't think it did much for me but want to scratch bloody lines down my face. And it made my skin very, very sensitive (more so than now if you can believe!). It made me very flaky. I use lots of powder makeups (not a fan of liquid), and those seemed to really hurt when I put a brush to my face. However, toward the end of the month, my bumps WERE flattening out...until day 3 of accutane anyway. :)

As far as Aveeno, I highly advocate the product. I actually use the Ultra Calming moisturizer, and I really like it. Now, the further I get into accutane, who knows. But, for now it works, and it has a sunscreen in it. I did just buy the Aveeno sensitive skin bar soap to wash my face. I don't want to put anything extra on it since I'm on a pretty high dose of accutane. So far I really like that too.

For shampoo, I really like head and shoulders! I've been using it for a while, even before accutane, and you'd be soooo surprised how shiney it makes your hair. AND it smells devine. I don't know anything about the Aveeno shampoos, but I'm sure they are good as well.

Don't worry about the pics. Every single person on this forum is struggling with acne. I haven't read a singe post here that has passed judgement. Go ahead and take a gander at my lovely pics... Seriously, I was hit by the acne ugly stick at the ripe ol' age of 29. There's nothin' but love here.

Good luck. I'll follow your posts!

Girl, I hear ya. My dermo also prescribed the Epiduo while I was in the 30 day waiting period. Toward the end (last week or so) it had me itching like CRAZY. I honestly don't think it did much for me but want to scratch bloody lines down my face. And it made my skin very, very sensitive (more so than now if you can believe!). It made me very flaky. I use lots of powder makeups (not a fan of liquid), and those seemed to really hurt when I put a brush to my face. However, toward the end of the month, my bumps WERE flattening out...until day 3 of accutane anyway. :)

As far as Aveeno, I highly advocate the product. I actually use the Ultra Calming moisturizer, and I really like it. Now, the further I get into accutane, who knows. But, for now it works, and it has a sunscreen in it. I did just buy the Aveeno sensitive skin bar soap to wash my face. I don't want to put anything extra on it since I'm on a pretty high dose of accutane. So far I really like that too.

For shampoo, I really like head and shoulders! I've been using it for a while, even before accutane, and you'd be soooo surprised how shiney it makes your hair. AND it smells devine. I don't know anything about the Aveeno shampoos, but I'm sure they are good as well.

Don't worry about the pics. Every single person on this forum is struggling with acne. I haven't read a singe post here that has passed judgement. Go ahead and take a gander at my lovely pics... Seriously, I was hit by the acne ugly stick at the ripe ol' age of 29. There's nothin' but love here.

Good luck. I'll follow your posts!

Aww thank you for the encouragement. I'm so glad that someone actually read my post. :)

What dose are you on Accutane?

I'll definitely try the Aveeno products then! :) They always smell so good to me haha.

I've never tried head and shoulders but i agree, it does smell good. My husband used to use it.

& about the itching.. oh yes. Same here! I just want to scratch my face off. It's so annoying but i'm sticking through this. 10 years of acne needs to diminish soon haha.

Anytime! That's what I'm here for!

I'm on 60mg/day...so I take 3 20mg pills per day. I just take them all at once with dinner. My derm said it didn't really matter if you spaced them out or took them all at once.

The itching is about to drive me INSANE. At least that makes me feel like it's working. :pray:

And, yes...I really like Aveeno products. I stocked up on other creams as well for when my skin decides it's time to mimick the desert. Also, I'm uping my H2O intake and cutting out as much caffeine & carbonation as I can. I figure it can't hurt, AND it's cheaper. :angel:

Hey lady! Good to know I'm not the only one who started an accutane log before actually starting accutane. We'll be going through treatment together though! I start February 8th... I couldn't be more excited!

@ Winter: I feel the same. When it's itching or i get those bursts of pains in the pimple, i feel like it's working. haha. It's to make myself feel better.

Sleeping last night was terrible! The itching could not have been worse. It was almost like having chicken pox all over my face! lol

What other creams have you stocked up on? I'm trying to build an arsenal of products pre-accutane. :)

@ Audabby: Aww i couldn't be more excited either! :) Good luck on your Pre-accutane & accutane course too. I'll be checking up on your log! :)

Day 10 of pre-treatment to Accutane.

150 mg of Doryx a day, Epiduo gel before bedtime.

Side-effects so far: Recently i've been getting random stomach pains & small headaches.

My face is still flaking & itching like hell.

Scalp still dry so i limit to washing hair once a day.

Body is mildly dry.

Lips are improving from obsessive use of 'Chapstick - Medicated' :)

Today the plan is to relax at home & baby my skin. The cold weather here in VA is definitely not helping me haha. I purchased some Aveeno body lotion with oatmeal & menthol in it (the one with the blue cap) so i hope it works. I normally leech to any product that contains anything minty like menthol but this just reminds me of medicine.. Hope my opinion on that changes as i start using it more.

Still a little upset over yesterdays events with my foundation. I need to find a foundation that doesn't burn my face during it's sensitive medication induced phase. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a cheapie drugstore buy.

Washing my face last night, i noticed i didn't feel as many bumps on my face as i normally do. I hope i wasn't hallucinating that haha. So i'm a little more positive after that despite everything else.

Hey! Ok, first of all...let me state that I am cheap. HAHA. SOOOO...I stocked up on the "like" products.... :lol:

But I bought the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (CVS version in a tub) and Eucerin Moisturizing Cream (CVS version in a tube). I'm sure they will do the same thing and were at least $5 cheaper. I also got Vitamin E (recommended to take 800IU/day) & Fish Oil capsules. I'll probably add some Vitamin D to this as well to help out with the joint pain that is supposedly to come...

As far as chapsticks, I love Burts Bees, and I have some silky wonderous lip balm that I can't remember at the moment. But, I've always been obsessive about chapstick, so this isn't a problem for me. Haha.

That sucks you can't sleep! I know how you feel. And it's FRIGID here too...I'm ready to change to Spring2010! As far as finding a foundation that doesn't burn...I'm not sure. While I was on the Epiduo, everything I tried stung and burned like crazy. I know it was the Epiduo too because as soon as I stopped using it, the burning went away. It HURT! But, you could possibly try Almay. I know that it is all dermo tested and approved and is gentle. I haven't used it b/c I haven't needed any new makeup, but I'm definitely considering trying it next.

Hey! Ok, first of all...let me state that I am cheap. HAHA. SOOOO...I stocked up on the "like" products.... :lol:

But I bought the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (CVS version in a tub) and Eucerin Moisturizing Cream (CVS version in a tube). I'm sure they will do the same thing and were at least $5 cheaper. I also got Vitamin E (recommended to take 800IU/day) & Fish Oil capsules. I'll probably add some Vitamin D to this as well to help out with the joint pain that is supposedly to come...

As far as chapsticks, I love Burts Bees, and I have some silky wonderous lip balm that I can't remember at the moment. But, I've always been obsessive about chapstick, so this isn't a problem for me. Haha.

That sucks you can't sleep! I know how you feel. And it's FRIGID here too...I'm ready to change to Spring2010! As far as finding a foundation that doesn't burn...I'm not sure. While I was on the Epiduo, everything I tried stung and burned like crazy. I know it was the Epiduo too because as soon as I stopped using it, the burning went away. It HURT! But, you could possibly try Almay. I know that it is all dermo tested and approved and is gentle. I haven't used it b/c I haven't needed any new makeup, but I'm definitely considering trying it next.

Yeah i heard about the Eucerin moisturizing cream. I've really been wanting to try it! There's nothing but good reviews on that product so it's worth a try. :)

Haha i'm cheap with certain things. Like i'll get the Target brand version of aluminium foil or sometimes make-up remover toilettes. lol.

I have fish oil capsules that i used to take daily months before i started taking Doryx/Epiduo. I took it for about 6 weeks or so.. not long enough to tell if it's actually been able to help. I might start taking them again. Not sure. I have a large supply of them haha.

I normally love cold temperatures but it's been a little much lately. i'm ready for the weather to warm up so i can start wearing shorts & sandals out. I have more 'summer' clothes than i do 'winter' clothes since i lived in Florida most of my life.

I just might try Almay when i have extra money to burn. Lately i've been so tight on my cash. But yeah, i saw Almay has that natural mineral make-up so it should be good. :)

I remember taking retin-a and duac, and I can honestly say my face was so much dryer and itchier on that stuff than it has been on accutane. As far as products I would suggest:

Eucerin original moisturizing lotion for dry skin

Moisturizing Eye drops

An assortment of different lip balms and creams .. I prefer plain petroleum jelly (tried aquaphor I think I may be allergic to something in it) Make sure you get a few little tubes of w/e you get because you really don't want to be somewhere without a lip balm

If you get the 'tane burn' I really think I found a good solution that I try to recommend to everyone. After searching through the accutane post section I found someone post about the Eucerin Redness Relief system. It is a cleanser, a daily lotion, and a night time cream (i dont use the last part of the system). It works really well for the redness I experienced in the beginning. I'd highly suggest it if you get a red face.

Good luck on your course!

Day 13 of pre-Accutane treatment on 150 mg of Doryx/Epiduo gel.

A few nights ago, I forgot to apply the Epiduo gel before bedtime. I woke up feeling like my whole face broke out over night.

After this, I will never forget to apply Epiduo gel again.

Other than that, i'm happy to say that the huge nodular pimple i've had has finally subsided and all that's left is a pretty gruesome post acne mark. (ughh)

I haven't really posted any updates the past few days since things have been looking the same with my acne.

Is it weird to say my feet are getting really dry? i'm going to put an overnight moisturizer on them today to see if that helps at all.

@ Halifax: I've been hearing a lot of good things about Eucerin so i'll have to try that when i can. :)

So far no red face so i've been lucky.. however i think i will want to have Eucerin as back-up just in case haha.

& thank you for the suggestion of having small sample sizes with me. I think i'll ask my derm next time i go for a bunch i can take with me.

Day 15 of pre-treatment to Accutane on 150 mg of Doryx/Epiduo gel.

I'm noticing significant improvement in current acne shrinking in size. Most aren't so noticeable anymore.. especially the group of large acne in between my eyebrows. It was like a very bad party.

The large nodular acne on the side of my face is continuing to reduce in size (yes!) but i can already tell it's going to leave a nasty post acne mark! :( Not excited for but at least i'll be able to touch that area of my face without flinching in pain.

My back recently had a small break out last night. Not too thrilled since it took me forever to get my back cleared up & now it's starting to break out again. Ugh. But i'm keeping positive & reminding myself that it's just the medicine cleaning out my system.

I also noticed something pretty weird. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but i saw that since i started taking Doryx, it's brought out what look like tiny post acne marks on my upper arms.

I used to get acne there every so often.. i'm thinking it's bringing out the past damage to try to heal it. Just a guess though.