Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boots Electric

Beauty Skin Acne Lamp blog thing, with pics, check me out

Hello to my fellow Acne sufferers Boots Electric here,

:dance:

I have just bought the Dr. Kern Beautyskin Acne Lamp and i feel it's my duty to run a blog giving my progress and what not back to the Acne.org community, and all you lurkers out there who just googled Acne Lamp and found this.

The internet has given me so much advice in my life and this is my chance to give some back to some very needy people, people who can't decide whether to drop £200 on a left over prop from an 80's episode of Dr Who and blinding yourself with it for 15 minutes a day!?!?

Little history of my Acne;

had it since 15 probably, im 23 now, it clears up 100% on sunny holiday, i use Duac cream which helps it a little.

AND NOW

I have used the lamp for 5 days now.

Please god everyone who owns one put some duct tape over the timer so it is jammed in the on position and stops making that infernal ticking noise!!!!!

Also the goggles are crap and you end up making new ones yourself out of house hold objects, holding your hair back with a woolly hat and stumbling around your bedroom blindly looking for the plug socket.

I am using the lamp 15 minutes on one side of face at a 45 degree angle then 15 minutes covering the other side at a 45 degree angle, whilst listening to various radio 4 podcasts, awesome!

Nothing happened for first 2 days then day 4 i realised that i had been sitting far too close (about 1 inch from my nose, which has made my face really burnt red and dry, woops, i will stay back 15cms now.

Also as of day 4 i have had a pretty bad outbreak for me which the manual says can happen at the start. I have noticed that the spots coming up are kinda small yellow ones whereas i normally get deeper red ones, go figure.

I am uploading a photo as of today, day 5 i think, edited for internet anonymityness

Stay tuned folks, peace and love and stuff, could 3 people post below saying Hi so i know this is worth continuing please!!!!

:dance::surprised::whistle::rolleyes:

Edited by Boots Electric

GL :D Im using the beauty skin acne lamp to, just started. So you think its beter to take one side of the face at a time and not the whole face looking right into the lamp instead?

Your acne seems like they'll be difficult to treat just with the blue light. And can't say how much time it might take. Blue light is good for maintenance though. Either way you should add a BP regimen. Even on the spot BP should work.

I do,t think you need BP with beautyskin am sure it enough.I think it will clear it up It may take 3 months or more but i think it will work

Do u have to use a cleanser when using the beauty skin lamp?

Reason I ask is because today I have just started using it.

Ye keep us posted boots electric, we would love to know the improvement it has made to your skin :)

Edited by Az112

An update, i think i'm on Day 10

- I have decided to continue to apply Duac BP every night before bed

- For me, it is definately best to do one side at a time as a lot of my spots are at the back of my jaw line so the light wouldn't hit them head on.

- I have fully shaved my beard on day 9 so that it can't stop the light getting to my skin, i miss it already

- If this thing takes 3 months to get results i will consider it a failure as when the sunshine comes i will plan to use that to clear up my skin, as it has previously

- I have removed the noisy timer from my beautyskin, if anyone needs advice on this i have posted it on this board elsewhere

- The spots are really bad still, and my scars are very red at the moment, GRRRR

post-119998-1263404597_thumb.jpg

post-119998-1263404612_thumb.jpg

Final Update/Conclusion

:boohoo:

I continued use for a total of 6-7 weeks and unfortunately did not get the results i was hoping and dreaming for!

However, i have a duty to end this thread with my current thoughts;

I did not see any consistent improvement in my skin due to using the light, i am sorry to have to say.

I felt the 30 minutes a day it took was too much for me to handle, towards the end i would only last 20 minutes use and then be too bored to carry on.

My Acne was very "up and down" during use of the light, i felt i was getting somewhere a couple of times to just see another huge outbreak the next day.

I have quit the lamp completely.

During my test i actually switched benzoyl peroxide to Daniel's and it is 10x better than anything i have ever used. It dries faster and doesn't rub off as easy on clothes which lets me use a lot of it twice a day - I'm seeing good improvements with it.

I think my facial hair is a contributing factor to my acne. I have not decided the best way to handle it yet but i think growing it too long gets too greasy, and shaving with a blade razor also causes breakouts. I am now keeping it between 1 and 2 mm long and finding it better so far.

To sum up, i regretfully do not recommend the beautyskin at all. I do recommending Daniel's cream as the best BP cream on the market.

And finally a tip to people in the uk - the best way to purchase is one 8oz tube per order which avoids any import duty and still works out as cheap as alternatives bought here.

Edited by Boots Electric

I found the beautyskin machine to be a failer aswell, People have more chance of clearing up with dan's regimen.

That's a real shame. I started using the beautyskin at the same time as you actually (I remember this thread lol). If I only use the light and nothing else, I get no pustles or anything but I will get whiteheads. I found using the beautyskin and some BP together made me completely clear, whereas BP alone couldn't clear me.

Are you sure the light did NOTHING? Because if it helped even a little bit, you could combine it with Dan's regimen, and use the light and the 2.5% (or higher) BP together.

And, yeah I agree, 30 minutes is a killer. But what you should of done was break it up into two 15min sessions; once in the morning and once at night. The reason I say this is that 30 min is overkill for one session, as I'd imagine all the P.acne have been destroyed after around ~15min. So for the extra 15 min, the light isn't really doing anything.

I also suggest not doing one side of your face at a time. In my experience the light was more than large enough to cover the entire face if you stared straight on (your face may be bigger than mine though).

In any case, good luck in the continuing battle.

So, now I need some advice. I have been using the BeautySkin lamp regularly (15 minutes whole face every morning). At night I use benzoyl peroxide and some nights BHA. The thing is that the last week, I have broken out incredibly. The zits are red and itchy and some have pus. I know it's the lamp because I'm breaking out on my forehead (where I never break out.) My cheeks hurt so bad. I have been saving up for my Epiduo, since I ran out but my husband took one look at my face and said we should just put it on the credit card; that's how bad my face looks now.

I am so frustrated! I"m 37 years old, when does this end?

My question is how long should I stick in there using this machine? It's been a month; I know there is supposed to be a period of breakouts but when should I just give up?

So, now I need some advice. I have been using the BeautySkin lamp regularly (15 minutes whole face every morning). At night I use benzoyl peroxide and some nights BHA. The thing is that the last week, I have broken out incredibly. The zits are red and itchy and some have pus. I know it's the lamp because I'm breaking out on my forehead (where I never break out.) My cheeks hurt so bad. I have been saving up for my Epiduo, since I ran out but my husband took one look at my face and said we should just put it on the credit card; that's how bad my face looks now.

I am so frustrated! I"m 37 years old, when does this end?

My question is how long should I stick in there using this machine? It's been a month; I know there is supposed to be a period of breakouts but when should I just give up?

Well, the lamp did nothing good for me either. My best bet has been Dan's benzoyl peroxide, not ANY make it has to be Dan's. If you haven't already you must try it twice a day strictly for a month or so. I do not know what epi duo is.

thanks guys. but I don't know what to do..I feel like Beauty Skin is the WORST thing I've ever done to myself. My skin is so bad; I can't believe how I am breaking out! I feel like seriously just crying....The epiduo is probably the only thing keeping it from getting worse.

I don't know what to do; I have been using the Beauty skin since July 6 (faithfully). It's now been 6 weeks. Should I just stop or can I hope to have seen the last signs of bad initial break out.

Please help.

thanks guys. but I don't know what to do..I feel like Beauty Skin is the WORST thing I've ever done to myself. My skin is so bad; I can't believe how I am breaking out! I feel like seriously just crying....The epiduo is probably the only thing keeping it from getting worse.

I don't know what to do; I have been using the Beauty skin since July 6 (faithfully). It's now been 6 weeks. Should I just stop or can I hope to have seen the last signs of bad initial break out.

Please help.