Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inkling

Determination: A Retin-A and Clindamycin Acne Log

Hello!

I am a 16 year old female, and I've had acne since I was 11. The severity has always been changing, but I never get cysts, blackheads, or nodules. I have mild to moderate acne usually in the papule or pustule stage, with a couple of whiteheads or milia thrown in (can't really tell). My skin was best one month when I was on homeopathic medicine, but took a nosedive once I learned that it was just the placebo effect. I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide, so the acne.org regimen is kind of out for me. Anyway, this is my log on Retin-A 0.05% and Clindamycin phosphate 1%.

Edited by Inkling

Day One

Did Retin-A last night and Clindamycin this morning as outlined in my signature. It may just be my imagination but I might feel slightly itchy. My left eye also feels kind of irritated or dehydrated.

I will be doing Clindamycin every day and Retin-A every third night, just to be clear. I'll increase it once my skin is used to it.

Edited by Inkling

Day Two

So, yeah. Yesterdays irritation was in my head. I was fine. Actually, I even went on a really nice morning walk with the sunscreen on and no ill effects. I didn't do Retin-A last night because I'm doing it every third night, so today was a Clindamycin and moisturizer day. I've found that I put on way too much moisturizer and it makes me really greasy, so I'll have to put on less. If that doesn't work out I'll switch to my mom's Eucerin stuff until I can locate a non icky moisturizer... or I'll just get over it. I mean, I have a completely full bottle of the stuff. Anyway, tonight is another cleanser and moisturizer night, so that should be easy. No peeling, redness, irritation, or IB from the Retin-A.

Day Four

On day three I got four or so more pimples, which I believe may be the beginning of my IB. Still no irritation. I did Retin-A last night, and it's really going well. I'm starting to think I may not get dry skin or irritation at all. Keeping my hopes up. The shallow scars on my forehead already seem a bit better.

Day Nine

Alright, I forgot to do this for a bit because I haven't had any side effects. I'm just coming into week two of doing it every three days, and I still have no side effects. I kind of want to increase to every other night, but I know I shouldn't rush. I go between thinking that it might just keep going like this, that I'll never get an actual hardcore IB or redness and irritation and thinking that skin hell is just around the corner.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the results so far. I had a flare up on my back, but I think it's unrelated. I get one or two tiny pimples every few days, but overall it's better than before. My family says they can tell the difference and that it looks a lot better, and my friend said that it had a different texture. Also, my mom thought I was wearing makeup when I wasn't (though to be fair it was a dimly lit room). At the very least I have more confidence.

In other news, Cetaphil moisturizer and spf 60 was too greasy and I've switched to only using that on days that I'm seriously going to be outside for a while. Other days I use my mom's Eucerin SPF 15, which isn't too bad.

West-Coast_Skater, I'm glad you're having success so far. Let's hope we both have well moisturized skin over the courses of our treatments.

Day Twelve

Again, no irritation, redness, etc. I'm kind of surprised that what I assume was my IB was so mild. It was honestly just like a normal breakout without RA and CMP. Yesterday I had a pimple that I could feel forming between my eyebrows, so I put a tiny bit of CMP on and it hasn't emerged yet. I think it actually got smaller. Yesterday I had a tiny bit of flakiness from skipping moisturizer a few times, but I used a heavy moisturizer overnight and it's fine now.

The general consensus in my circle of friends and family is that my skin looks like it's "healing". They seriously all used that word. Good thing, I think. This may actually beat my acne for good. I'll need to stay on RA and CMP, though, I think. I don't know? I'll probably cut back on the RA after my scars are gone. I think the CMP is going to stay though. I'll have to ask my friend Abigail, as she recommended the stuff to me in the first place. Anyway, I'm really quite pleased with the results so far. It seems to be working quickly and it's not very harsh at all.

Edited by Inkling

Day Ninteen

I think I'm starting the IB now, maybe. My acne is a little worse on my left jaw and lower hairline, but still better pre-RA. I've had a few very small spots come and go really quickly, which is odd.

In other news, I've just started mildly peeling. I don't wear makeup apart from translucent powder to cut down on the mirrorlike shine I get when I put on moisturizer in the morning, so it doesn't show up too badly. Still, really annoying. It looks like I left glue on my face and then rolled it partway off. Also, I may be imagining things, but my skin seems a bit more red than usual. Is that supposed to happen this far in? Also, at the rate I'm going through CMP, I may need to schedule another trip to Tijuana or figure out some way to get more. Those metal tubes are really irritating to use and never work quite right. Ah well.

Also, Mass Effect 2 comes out tomorrow! I just finished the preload today. So excited!

Edited by Inkling

Day Twenty-Six

Alright, apparently I only update once a week. Anyway, at the beginning of the week and into the middle, my skin was peel-o-rama. I don't go outside, so I've never really gotten a sunburn bad enough to peel, but I imagine this is what it's like. PEELING. My skin texture feels kind of rough and dry almost. I feel like I need some serious hydration even though I've been moisturizing twice a day. I still have a bit of peeling, but not nearly as bad as earlier in the week.

I've heard good things about jojoba oil while on RA, so I've been thinking about getting some to see if it's the same miracle flaky-dry cure that it's been touted as. I've also heard that some people get horrible breakouts from it, so... don't really know what to do there. I'll try it, I guess.

So, I'm nearly a month in and still doing the RA every third night. I want to increase to every other night, but with my skin as dry and flaky as it is I am very cautious.

Edited by Inkling

Day Thirty-One

I turned seventeen on the fifth! Woo!

So the Retin-A is awesome. The flaking/peeling has pretty much completely stopped. I have some jojoba to try if it comes back. I think I'm ready to increase to every other night, but I'm kinda scared that my skin will get fragile (mainly from some of the things I've seen in another log).

I think increasing my Retin-A usage will help, but I'm pretty freaked out by the face falling off thing. It's been working well so far, though. I could probably count my actual pimples on one hand, and they're all small. Because of my scarring, though, it still looks like I have a lot. Still, it's mainly red spots, so supposedly the Retin-A will help with that.

Day Fourty-Five

Very few new pimples between my last log and now, but peeling, peeling, PEELING. I'm still peeling. It's kind of irritating to me and looks horrible under makeup, even if I've just exfoliated. Will the peeling ever end? Ever? Supposedly it shall, but it seems like it never will. Not much to say other than that.

Edited by Inkling

I just started the same regimen as you today! Keep up with the logs because I like knowing what to expect :) Do you have a lot of hyperpigementation left from old acne spots? If so, have you noticed the Retin-A helping at all? My derm also said to use a 10% BP Cleanser. What are you using?

Edited by 12Sam12

Day Fifty

Still peely, still can't wear foundation which sucks because I just got one that actually matches my ridiculously pale skin. Ah well, I never wore it before. I'd like to think I'm less peely now than I was last week, because it seems to be in patches now. Big patches, but patches none the less. Also, I think my forehead must be oily or something, because I never had dryness or flakiness there. The peeling is mainly my jawline and bits of my cheeks now, along with my chin.

I've been getting a few pimples on my forehead, which I am going to blame on hormones as my period is a week away (ish). They might be stress, too. Dunno. Anyway, there are only two, and another two on my hairline. All of them are very small. I can handle getting that around my period, no sweat. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Sam - It's great to know that someone is actually reading, and that this may be helpful. Thank you! I had moderate acne, more on the mild side. As a result, I had a loooot of the red spots. My skin looks noticeably better, even with the peeling and inability to wear makeup (so far). As long as I have moisturizer on you usually can't tell that I'm peely anyway. My friends and family have said that my skin looks much healthier, and many of my spots are faded already. It's supposed to get better the longer I use it, so I'm looking forward to my long-term results as well.

I'm very sensitive to BP, so much that I would call it an allergy (though it hasn't been formally diagnosed). Pretty much, my skin burns from the minute I put on BP (even 2.5%), and even if I wash it off immediately, it will burn, sting, and itch for a few hours afterward. I do the regimen I have outlined in my signature: cetaphil, eucerin, and sometimes jojoba. Thank you for reading, thank you even more for replying, and good luck!

If any other lurkers are out there, I do really like knowing that people care! It gives me the warm-fuzzies, and it motivates me to update more often.

Day Fifty

Still peely, still can't wear foundation which sucks because I just got one that actually matches my ridiculously pale skin. Ah well, I never wore it before. I'd like to think I'm less peely now than I was last week, because it seems to be in patches now. Big patches, but patches none the less. Also, I think my forehead must be oily or something, because I never had dryness or flakiness there. The peeling is mainly my jawline and bits of my cheeks now, along with my chin.

I've been getting a few pimples on my forehead, which I am going to blame on hormones as my period is a week away (ish). They might be stress, too. Dunno. Anyway, there are only two, and another two on my hairline. All of them are very small. I can handle getting that around my period, no sweat. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Sam - It's great to know that someone is actually reading, and that this may be helpful. Thank you! I had moderate acne, more on the mild side. As a result, I had a loooot of the red spots. My skin looks noticeably better, even with the peeling and inability to wear makeup (so far). As long as I have moisturizer on you usually can't tell that I'm peely anyway. My friends and family have said that my skin looks much healthier, and many of my spots are faded already. It's supposed to get better the longer I use it, so I'm looking forward to my long-term results as well.

I'm very sensitive to BP, so much that I would call it an allergy (though it hasn't been formally diagnosed). Pretty much, my skin burns from the minute I put on BP (even 2.5%), and even if I wash it off immediately, it will burn, sting, and itch for a few hours afterward. I do the regimen I have outlined in my signature: cetaphil, eucerin, and sometimes jojoba. Thank you for reading, thank you even more for replying, and good luck!

If any other lurkers are out there, I do really like knowing that people care! It gives me the warm-fuzzies, and it motivates me to update more often.

Hi, I'm new and not sure how to reply exactly... But, I'm also on Clindamycin and Retin-a.

Today is day 38 for me!! I hope the peeling gets better.

Day Fifty-Eight

So I've gotten maybe three or four pimples, not the end of the world. I can see some of my larger red marks fading, which is very exciting. My skin looks great, except if I touch it. I still peel pretty horribly. I've tried jojoba but it hasn't really helped much. I can't tell if it's actually causing pimples or what. I still can't really put on makeup because I just turn into a peely mess. Hopefully I'll have perfect skin by my performance dates.

Anyone have any estimation of how long it takes for the peeling to go away? I'm eight weeks in and I love the effects, but this peeling is really pissing me off.

Here's hoping it gets better.

SwimBFly - Good luck!

Inking im glad to see improvements, i started retin-a about 4 months back, when i started my skin got so damn bad it was crazy flaky skin irritation and everything, so i stopped using it for a while thinking it didn't work. come to find out it was my blackead scrub and my moisturizer that was breaking me out really bad. so what i did was stop using the moisturizer and scrub and when my face got flaky i just would get a clean rag with some hot water and wipe the flakes off. well now my retin-a bottle is gone and right now im not using any acne products or anything and my skin is in great condition. i used retin-a for acne marks and blackheads i had this acne mark on my face for years everyone used to make fun of me but now its gone.. but yeah retin-a is the best keep it up

I just started back on the same regimen its been a while since i used it , i just started back yesterday. My face has taken on a rough texture all over like very very small bumps all over my face this is after using Retin A , it has happened before and goes away in a few days. Should i use the Clindamycin every morning and limit Retin A? Once Clindamycin is applied then i normally put sunscreen over ?

I like your log ! thank you for sharing with us ...

I'm in my second week now and I dun't know what to expect because it went worst and worst . ( even I heard that thats gonna be like that )

But after I read your log , give me more confidence with retinA !

SO please keep update !

Hey guys just wanted to say its nice to hear people are having good responses to Retin-a, Im going on my 12th year using it and i have to say..... I LOVE RETIN-A!!!! Its been a life savior lol im also using the clindamycin 1% solution in the morning for the past 5 months. So far ive had positive results with both. Wishing you the best for clear skin and a happy life!!! :dance:

Day Seventy-Six

Hooo maaaan it's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry folks, I've been really busy! Thanks for all of your comments and support, and I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Before I get to my progress, I'm going to take a bit of time to respond.

Kool Guy - Yeah, thankfully I'm not getting any breakouts really. I don't know what I'd do without my moisturizer though! Retin-A is great. :D

Moi1 - Keep going with the Retin-A! I suggest reading the stickies in the Retin-A subforum about the initial breakout and what Retin-A is. I might be kinda geeky, but those were both really awesome to me, because I love understanding how things work. If you're getting irritation, I'd cut the Retin-A back to every other night or every third night like how I started, and make sure you're using no more than a pea sized amount. Stick with it for at least three months! I still have a few problems (namely peeling) but I literally have only two pimples and I can go outside without makeup no problem. On the subject of clindamycin, I use it every morning. It's an antibiotic, so it's important to apply it because it kills the nasties that make pimples. Make sure you're washing with something very gentle before, letting your skin dry, then applying. I usually use a combined moisturizer and sunscreen after, making sure that the clindamycin has time to dry as well. Best wishes!

nsalim - Most people have an initial breakout (I recommend reading the two posts I linked to), so don't get scared! I never had one really, but I was the exception not the rule. Just keep trucking and try to be gentle with your skin and take it slowly. Good luck!

PinkPlayBunny - Thank you! :D

Now, my progress. Well as I mentioned, I only have two pimples! They're fading, too, so I'm pretty stoked. I'm still flakey/peeling though, which kinda sucks, but it's nothing I can't handle. I'll definitely keep using the Retin-A. I'm hoping that day ninety is the magic number everyone says it is. Fingers crossed!

Day Seventy-Nine

I really wish I was more consistent with this, but I suppose it can't be helped. I got a new pimple yesterday, giving me a visible total of three, but technically only the new one is really active. I'm still peeling, and I have an event tomorrow so I'm trying to get that under control. I used an aspirin mask while I was in the shower. I think the new spot is because of stress. I was up pretty late on Thursday and Friday working on my midterm paper. Hopefully it'll go away.

Day Eighty-Two

The spot I mentioned last time is going away, which is lovely. I think that maybe my peeling might be getting a little better. Possibly. If I stop peeling I will seriously jump for joy. So happy! Not sure if that's really happening, though. I don't want to say this too early, but even though I currently have three spots on my face... I think I may have beaten acne.

Day Ninety-One

Breakthrough! Even though the peeling didn't stop on its own, I remembered that salicylic acid dissolves dead skin. I've used aspirin masks a few times to try to fight the peeling from Retin-A, and it's always helped. Why didn't I think of this before? So I picked up some of the store brand acne pads that use 2% salicylic acid (on sale, but they're basically the same as Oxy Maximum pads), and voila, perfect skin.

So basically I've fixed the only problem I had with the Retin-A. I now have completely clear skin, it's smooth, scars are fading, and I feel really awesome. I think I'm basically done with this log. Unless I have a breakout or something, there probably won't be much to say. So I guess I'll post if something happens, but otherwise expect me to be very quiet here.

Day One Hundred Sixteen

Hey, I'm back! Nearly a month later and I still haven't had a single pimple (which is awesome). The salicylic acid thing is a bit harsh on my skin, so I stopped it a while back, and the flakes have for the most part stayed away. These past few days they've come back a bit, which is bad. I think it might be from a walk I took. I really should have worn a hat. So basically I can't wear makeup again until they go away. My skin is also a bit sensitive. When I wash it I have to be very careful or it will feel a bit on the burny side, like I scrubbed it way too hard. Then again I have clear skin so that's not a horrible trade off.

Day Two Hundred Six

Hello! As you can tell from the lack of updates, everything is going really well. That sensitivity subsided, but the flakes came and went sometimes. I eventually ran out of clindamycin ahead of schedule, and had to go without it for about a month. During that time I got a lot of bumps without heads, and even a few whiteheads (countable on one hand, lucky me).

I also switched to using makeup again, Bare Minerals in particular. I'm not going to go on about how amazing it is, because honestly it's not a miracle worker. I just feel vaguely favorable towards it. It works for my skin, but that's not really worth much. My only big makeup recommendation is to get good brushes. My favorites are all from E.L.F.'s Studio line. They're all synthetic, antibacterial, and super super soft. Anyway, enough makeup talk for now.

I'm back on clindamycin and everything is clearing back up, which leads me to believe that the CMP is more important than the Retin-A. I really need to keep up on doing it frequently, whereas the RA can be a few times a week.

My main change in regimen other than that has been an exfoliant switch. Obviously, the salicylic acid was too harsh for me and didn't really help much. I'll be avoiding things with SA in it from now on. I had been using Queen Helene's Oatmeal 'n Honey Natural Facial Scrub, because I like their Mint Julep Masque (for no real reason). For the record, I do not recommend this. Apricot pits and crushed walnut shell and other overly abrasive things are not friendly with skin. They nick and cut it, irritating your skin and giving it more chances to get pimples. So, I've switched to CVS's Daily Pore Cleanser (their version of Clean & Clear's Daily Pore Cleanser). I don't think it really matters what exfoliant you use as long as it uses beads/micro-beads, which are much gentler. Since switching my skin has felt very soft, the flakes have left, and no new blemishes have appeared. /end rant

Basically, everything is hunky-dory except for my moisturizer, which is alright but kind of greasy. Any suggestions for SPF 30+ moisturizer for oily/combination skin?