Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Sudden increase in appetite

Okay, I need some help solving this little mystery!

For pretty much my entire life I have always had a very light appetite - I would get full really quickly, and would rarely eat a lot at once. I also tend to lose my appetite if I am stressed, anxious, depressed, etc. The only time I had a decent appetite was when I first went on the medication Remeron (haven't been on it for over a year now). I'm very slender (5'3" and usually 100 lbs or less) and have probably been underweight for at least the last 8 yrs. My family always asks me if I'm eating enough, tells me I am too thin, etc. I never purposefully avoided eating, I just never got hungry very often.

However, over the last couple of weeks I have had a substantial increase in my appetite. I am hungry far more often than I used to be and have probably been eating more than is typical for me. I am not on any medictions at all. The only changes I have made recently are:

-Cutting sugar out of my diet after the holidays. I was eating more sugary junk food for the last few months, and less healthy foods than I used to. After Christmas, I made an effort to reduce the crappy food and have tried to add in healthier choices (more nuts, fish, beans, dates, etc.). My sugar intake has dropped considerably.

-Taking more dance classes. I have started taking a couple of extra dance classes a week - including a competition level ballroom dance class. I don't feel like its a ton of extra exercise though, since much of the time is spent on technique and learning footwork patterns.

-Daily glass of wine. I usually have 1/2-1 glass of red wine after dinner each night. More recently this has increased to 1 1/2-2 glasses.

Does any of that sound like an explanation for my sudden frequent hunger? Or could it be a hormonal shift or something like that?

I could stand to gain a few pounds, so I am not worried just yet. Its just really weird to have an appetite all of a sudden when I have never really had one before!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!

Have you lost any weight recently? I know that our bodies get used to having our weight at a certain number and your appetite will increase/decrease as needed to keep you at that weight.

Sucks for those of us who are trying to lose it. ;x

Exercise revs up metabolism. If your dance class is long enough, it could make you hungry!! Body needs more calories if its going to be active, and it sure does tell you too. Its a good thing that you have an increased appetite, don't worry about it.

Have you lost any weight recently? I know that our bodies get used to having our weight at a certain number and your appetite will increase/decrease as needed to keep you at that weight.

Sucks for those of us who are trying to lose it. ;x

No, not that I am aware of. I've generally hovered around 100 lbs, give or take 5 lbs. I've probably been slightly under 100 lbs for the last few years, after being in the lower 90s when I went through a period of depression. I probably weigh a little bit more now that I have over the last several years.

I should weigh myself when I get home though - I'll have to figure out where the heck I put my scale!

It's sugar withdrawal. As soon as you said you stopped sugar I knew exactly what it was. Your body is used to using that for energy and without it you're getting extra hungry. As soon as your body realises it's not getting sugar anymore and uses other foods as fuel your appetite should normalise.

It's sugar withdrawal. As soon as you said you stopped sugar I knew exactly what it was. Your body is used to using that for energy and without it you're getting extra hungry. As soon as your body realises it's not getting sugar anymore and uses other foods as fuel your appetite should normalise.

Thanks - its so weird because I am not used to having anything resembling a normal appetite! Even when I was eating healthy before, after cutting down my sugar intake, I didn't experience this level of hunger.

I'll give it some time for my body to get used to the reduced sugar - hopefully things will normalize as you said!