Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dn7prh10

Proactiv Withdrawl Anyone?

I have been using Proactiv for the past 2-3 years with limited control over my acne...that is unless I missed a wash. In August of 2009 my face was clear and I decided it was time to quit Proactiv for good. Little did I know that by doing so my face would lash out at me and become the worst acne I have ever suffered from in my entire life (I've had acne for 10 years, I'm now 22). I started to get painful deep cysts and pustles...everything. The pain was so bad that I was popping Ibprofen everyday. I tried natural products...nothing was working to clear me up. So I reluctantly began Proactiv again, the process was excruciating...painful to wash and so forth. So now I'm weaning off the Proactiv with limited success. My question is for anyone with similar experience after quitting the addictive and destructive Proactiv...and if their acne ever cleared up after quitting? Is there ever going to be an end in sight?

Photo Log Showcasing Proactiv Backlash 2009-

post-119758-1262883558_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1262883715_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1262883859_thumb.jpg

Still need to upload December's photo...but you get the idea.

Edited by dn7prh10

Hello, I felt the same way too! I used to use Proactiv back in high school and it did helped me a lot. But as I gotta older, for some reason my face would get oily and tiny pimples would appeared... So I quit using this product and now use a different brand that helps me control my acne.

Here the products that I use, maybe this will help you too, worth a try:

I use a face mask that will dry up my pimples: Queen Helene - The Original Mint Julep Masque

My cleanser is Clean & Clean - Blackhead Clearing Scrub and my toner is Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent (for sensitive skin)

Now my acne medication that I use is Clean & Clear - Maximum Strength Persa-Gel 10 (10% Bezoyl Peroxide).

To avoid any dry skin/if your planning to go outside try Clean & Clear oil-free Dual Action Moisturizer.

Make sure you clean your hair and change your bed sheets (or at least your pillow case :P)

One more thing...

I suggest you use the Queen Helene - The Original Mint Julep Masque first that will help you tone down ur acne and wash it off carefully and dry ur face with a small towel by dabbling (no rubbing).

If you get red spots, try using Proactiv - Refining Mask (I found the only product from Proactiv that works well)...

^_^

Thanks for the advice...I'm definitely going to check out that Queen Helene Mask.Unfortunately, the refining mask that comes with Proactiv seems to make me break out more. I kind of feel like I'm allergic to sulfer...if thats even possible. I don't know. I just feel like this plaque on my face is never going to end. But I'm not giving up thats for sure!

I have been using Proactiv for the past 2-3 years with limited control over my acne...that is unless I missed a wash. In August of 2009 my face was clear and I decided it was time to quit Proactiv for good. Little did I know that by doing so my face would lash out at me and become the worst acne I have ever suffered from in my entire life (I've had acne for 10 years, I'm now 22). I started to get painful deep cysts and pustles...everything. The pain was so bad that I was popping Ibprofen everyday. I tried natural products...nothing was working to clear me up. So I reluctantly began Proactiv again, the process was excruciating...painful to wash and so forth. So now I'm weaning off the Proactiv with limited success. My question is for anyone with similar experience after quitting the addictive and destructive Proactiv...and if their acne ever cleared up after quitting? Is there ever going to be an end in sight?

I was on Proactiv for about 2-3 years as well. It helped me quite a bit in the beginning but after a few years of use the effectiveness wore off. Keep in mind, these are topical medications and they are certainly not a cure. If you stop using them and your body isn't done with its "acne cycle" then your acne will return and sometimes it's much worse when it does. Being in your current situation, there are some options.

Try a new regimen. I found this website and decided I'd try out Dan's Regimen which ended up clearing my acne quite well. From looking at your acne it seems the same could work out for you if you gave it enough time. I took me about 4-6 months to get completely clear and stay that way. Like with any regimen, however, you can't skip a day or a wash in the morning, etc or you're only setting yourself back. Try holistic methods. Diet and exercise combined with simple cleansers, etc. Try seeing a dermatologist and possibly getting onto some sort of medication, possibly Accutane if he/she recommends it.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Right now I am trying to wean off the proactiv on to Dan's. Right now I'm washing with Olay Sensitive Wash, still toning with the Proactiv, and the Proactiv BP. Once I run out of the BP I don't know if I should try Dan's BP or if anyone has had any real luck with otc BP for moderatly severe acne? Thanks for all the posts and advice everyone! and also right now I don't do any exfoliating, but fear that may be one reason why I keep breaking out. I have new breakouts DAILY. Should I be exfoliating or will that worsen the problem?

Right now I am trying to wean off the proactiv on to Dan's. Right now I'm washing with Olay Sensitive Wash, still toning with the Proactiv, and the Proactiv BP. Once I run out of the BP I don't know if I should try Dan's BP or if anyone has had any real luck with otc BP for moderatly severe acne? Thanks for all the posts and advice everyone! and also right now I don't do any exfoliating, but fear that may be one reason why I keep breaking out. I have new breakouts DAILY. Should I be exfoliating or will that worsen the problem?

Just a few points:

Try not to combine/mix different products/brands with each other because the results can lead to very irritated skin. Also, Proactiv has fragrance and several unnecessary ingredients in their products which can irritate the skin and cause breakouts. As for choosing a new BP, I didn't agree with most otc products. They're either too creamy, too high a percentage of benzoyl peroxide (finding a 2.5% BP is very important) or make you quite pale after everything dries. Dan's BP is gel based, doesn't dry quickly and has very few ingredients. It's also cheap? So, if you're in a money-tight situation you'll get more for your money.

As for your questions about exfoliating, exfoliating can be a great addition as long as you don't incorporate it too soon into your regimen. I would give it at least 2 months before adding it in so your skin has time to adjust to the regimen and limit your amount of breakouts.

When I was about 13 or so, I started Proactiv because everyone else seemed to be using it. I was on it for about 2-3 years and then it just started having no effect on me. If anything, I started breaking out a million times worse than before. You're better off just getting away from that product and trying something else. :)

I use Proactiv two separate times: once for a period like 5-6 months and the second time was for 1 month. Proactiv is pretty much garbage, and like one other person mentioned it has that fragrance which makes me wanna throw up lol. I wouldnt use Proactiv at all.. and its over priced. I product that is similiar in nature that you may want to look into is called ACNEFREE.. I used this after Proactiv. It's half the price and can be found in most drug stores and supermarkets. I don't think it has a fragrance and is the same 3-step thing but I found it less drying and more agreeable with my fair skin. And just get the regular one.. don't go for the severe one.

The first 5-6 month stint went fairly well but it seemed like it started losing it's effectiveness and he second time my skin just didnt agree with the product at all. Looks like your going through a rough time right now.. stay strong. I would suggest moving on from Proactiv at all costs.. you can get the same ingredients in other products if your looking for a 5 percent BP. And.. don't just use one part of the system if you are going to continue your use, you MUST use all three.

Edited by callmeamack

and come to think of it.. my acne was very similiar to yours.. same area and same amount/type. Look into the holistic message board.. and go to the last page.. read up on NIACIN, its simple vitamin B product that you can buy anywhere that you can just throw into your regular routine. Believe the hype.. lol

Yeah Proactiv can suck it.

I was on Proactiv in middle school and it worked well with my preteen acne but I had to stop using it due to my insufficient funds (thanks mom). So I went to AcneFree which was OK...and that was it.. OK. So, about my sophomore year of HS I decided to give Proactiv another try. Bad idea. Blew up my face. I never before had any problem with cheek acne; It was my safe spot on my face. Thanks to them, it spread everywhere and now I have nasty acne scars all over my cheeks. After I stopped Proactiv my cheek acne went away and blew up everywhere else again. Woo, thanks.

omg i thought im the only one who felt like that...i've been broken out like crazy when i moved to washington then my friend urged me to use Proactiv and it seemed to work well but it left a lot of scars on my face so after like 1.5 years i decided to quit because at that time my face is pretty much clear and the system started not to work so well like b4......so yeah its only 3-4 months ago and i started break out horribly like the worst break out in my life ( i have acne since i was 13 and now im 20 and i have pcos) ...even my bf's mom had to say why my face looked that bad...oh did all hell break loose....so i switched to Dermajuv system recently (i've been using it for nearly 3 weeks) which is super expensive but it seems to control my acne and not as harsh as other products since they use Resveratrol not BP...im also taking herbal supplement for hormonal imbalance....my face is still suffering from that worst breakout with scars and red marks :(