Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spesick

Doing the regimen only at night

My face gets too red/irritated during the day for me to handle if I do the regimen in the morning.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success at getting clear and staying clear doing the regimen only at night.

I have the same problem; have been doing it twice daily for a couple of weeks now and still am getting redness during the morning so am considering whether the regimen will actually work only doing it at night?

I'm hoping to get someone with a success story in here because I hate doing it in the morning. Not only does it cause redness/irritation throughout the day, but it I hate waking up in the morning and having to spend 45 minutes doing it.

I was strictly on the regimen for about a year and a half and got clear, but with a little bit of redness/irritation during the day. Turned 17, tried, to quit, acne came roaring back. Went back on it, same story. Quit, same story. Now I'm back on it but only doing it at night and I am seeing some improvement after only a couple of weeks but I'm not sure if the success will stay and keep improving.

I haven't actually done the regimen but I do use bp and I don't use moisturizer (if my skins, spotty, who gives a damn if it flakes. It looks crap either way) and my face's gotten used to it. I can apply a lot of 2.5% bp without flaking and 5% with minimal flaking around my chin, though my face feels dry. When I first started though, my face went through a period of flakiness/itchiness/other stuff but it adapted. I suggest you guys just cut down on your usage until you get used to it. Expect it to take a week or two before shifting onto a higher dosage.

I only do the regimen at night, and it has worked beautifully for me. When I first started out (this was several years ago), I followed Dan's directions to the letter and did it twice a day. That works for a lot of people, but my skin is sensitive and got too red, dry, and uncomfortable.

After going 2 weeks into it and still suffering, I decided to cut back and use it only at night. After maybe a week, the redness went away, my skin didn't feel tight and dry, and gradually my pimples went away. Also, it's important for me to mention that I had mild acne.

In the morning (when I don't use BP), I use a moisturizer with SPF 15. But when I use BP at night, I don't layer on moisturizer at all because that would often make my face burn. (I'm not sensitive to the moisturizer because I'm fine using it solo - it's just the combo of BP and moisturizer that never works for me.)

What works for me may not work for others, though. You have to do a little experimenting. And you can't expect instant results. Hope you find out a regime that makes you and your skin happy! :)

Edited by Atomica

Thanks for the reply Atomica!

How much BP do you use and what are the advantages of a moisturiser with SPF 15?

I have been using BP only at night for 3 weeks now. I suppose it all depends on our skins but so far it is working for me. I cannot stand the thought of waking up in the morning and having to do the regimen. My routine is jump out of bed, take a shower and dress up to go to work. Instead of using foundation, now I apply fps 15 moisturizer and go to work. Takes about the same time.

I actually started the regimen on my time off for the holidays and at first my skin did NOT adapt to 2 shots of BP per day. But I have a feeling that to actually get clean, I will need to use it twice. But I have cystic acne so my case is severe acne.

At night I only use about 4-5 peas worth of BP. Any more and it's too irritating for me.

The only reason why I use a moisturizer with SPF 15 in the morning is to protect my skin from the sun's UV rays (which can prematurely age skin). Also, because I moisturize in the morning, my skin doesn't get so dry when I use BP at night only. The downside about moisturizers with sunscreen is that they tend to leave your skin looking shinier than those without SPF. But it's a small price to pay for youthful-looking and healthy skin.

Thanks for the reply Atomica!

How much BP do you use and what are the advantages of a moisturiser with SPF 15?