Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gutterflower

Iodine in multivitamins...

I've been poking about for a while and I thought I'd ask to get a relatively clear-cut answer. :D

Have many people experienced any difference in their acne when taking a vitamin that contains iodine? I know there are a few different opinions floating around about the way iodine affects acne, I'm just curious as to what other people have experienced.

At the moment I'm taking a daily multivitamin with 65mcg of iodine (I wasn't aware of the correlation between iodine and acne when I bought it), I don't have a lot of salt in my diet, and I don't eat seafood. I figure it probably won't really have any negative effects since I've been feeling more positive and less sluggish since I've been taking the multivitamin, and I haven't had any adverse reactions to taking it (my skin looks the same as always), but I haven't been taking it for very long and I'm probably overly-cautious when it comes to things that could make my skin worse.

So how much is too much, really?

I currently avoid iodine like the plague.

About a year ago I took some vitamins that contained kelp and 100% iodine.

Oh good god what a mistake. In a matter of 2 days I was covered in cysts.

Obviously the iodine level that I took was extremely high but I still think that everyone should watch out.

Edited by mercyunbound

Obviously the iodine level that I took was extremely high but I still think that everyone should watch out.

That's just horrible. :think: I'm keeping a close eye on my skin to see if it's making it worse (I don't really care if it doesn't make it better, I'm taking the multivitamin because I find it difficult and daunting to buy individual supplements) and so far it has been okay. I have fairly mild acne most of the time.

Couple months ago I took 150mcg worth of Iodine. It was with a multivitamin.

Over a few days I had a large breakout and figured it was the iodine causing it.

Edited by UK J

I think it depends on the individual.

My daughter has absolutely predictable outbreaks when she eats shrimp or increased amounts of salt. We handle it by using a non-iodized salt at the table. That seems to have worked for her. I try to discourage her use of salt, but she is a teen and there is a physiological preference for that taste during those years. I don't believe in demonising food, so the path of least resistence is no iodine in the table salt. Honestly, none of us seem the worse for it.

you need some iodine.... iodine cleared me up because of my thyroid issue, iodine nourishes the thyroid, and healthy thyroid means good moods healthy skin

Although we all obviously need Iodine in our diet i would suggest against taking a multivitamin with added iodine.. it will MAKE IT WORSE. It may be that the level is low enough not to notice anything but it certainly wont be helping progress eitherway.

Iodine does make acne worse (in most cases).

Although we all obviously need Iodine in our diet i would suggest against taking a multivitamin with added iodine.. it will MAKE IT WORSE. It may be that the level is low enough not to notice anything but it certainly wont be helping progress eitherway.

Iodine does make acne worse (in most cases).

Hmn... general consensus in most of the threads I've read about it is that it makes existing acne worse rather than causing new breakouts. If my skin isn't too bad to begin with, which it hasn't been lately, do you think it would be that detrimental? I have probably 2 active spots and the rest are red marks so there's not much to aggravate at the moment. It has gotten a lot better since I've started taking zinc daily and drinking more water.

My daughter has absolutely predictable outbreaks when she eats shrimp or increased amounts of salt. We handle it by using a non-iodized salt at the table. That seems to have worked for her. I try to discourage her use of salt, but she is a teen and there is a physiological preference for that taste during those years. I don't believe in demonising food, so the path of least resistence is no iodine in the table salt. Honestly, none of us seem the worse for it.

I don't salt my food nowadays since I live mostly off of salad wraps and things like that because I'm too lazy to actually cook food. :P So I don't think I consume a whole lot of salt anyway. I've had days in the past where I've eaten a lot of salty food and my skin hasn't reacted adversely to it, but I was just concerned about the iodine because honestly, everything terrifies me after I read about it on here and I like to seek other people's personal experiences. :lol:

I don't salt my food nowadays since I live mostly off of salad wraps and things like that because I'm too lazy to actually cook food. :P So I don't think I consume a whole lot of salt anyway. I've had days in the past where I've eaten a lot of salty food and my skin hasn't reacted adversely to it, but I was just concerned about the iodine because honestly, everything terrifies me after I read about it on here and I like to seek other people's personal experiences. :lol:

My multivitamin has 75 mcg of Iodine...hasn't stopped me from gettings completely clear (See the link in my sig). I found this thread that makes many good points. Iodine is essential in small amounts for various bodily functions.

My multivitamin has 75 mcg of Iodine...hasn't stopped me from gettings completely clear (See the link in my sig). I found this thread that makes many good points. Iodine is essential in small amounts for various bodily functions.

That's a little more than mine. Thank you kindly for the link, also. :) I think I will keep an eye on the condition of my skin and see if it affects it. I don't think, judging by what I've seen so far, that it will set me back as far as getting clear goes. I've found that my skin has actually gotten better since I stopped obsessing over it and treating it like my enemy.

What's wrong with kelp? It's in my multivitamin too :s

My bad, kelp has very high levels of iodine. Thanks google!

I just realised my current multivitamin has kelp 5ug and the multivitamin which I want to buy (it's one of the world's best) has 100mg = 70% daily requirements of Iodine! What the ... that's just stupid!