Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
conspiracy83

starting Accutane soon - question need answering

So first of all, I'm fairly new to this site so I have no idea if I'm posting this right haha!

I'm start Accutane soon and I'm beyond excited! I've had acne ever since I was 10 and I'm now 17 so I'm definately ready for 'tane.

I want to keep this log of my journey with 'tane and I'm going to take pictures of my face without make-up starting when I start Accutane in about a week.

The reason I'm writing now is because of it being winter my skin is VERY VERY VERY dry... and itchy. I know that 'tane can make your skin dry too so I'd really appericate any recommendations for good mostizers that I could use before I start 'tane. Right now I'm using Neutrogena Healthy Skin AHA (which is recommended on this site) and it was working till a couple weeks ago. I've been using it for about a month.

I'll be bring up the dry skin issue to my derma the next time I see him but for now I was just wondering if anyone on here has any advise for me?

Thanks ^____^

p.s. I'm Gillian, hi :)

Edited by conspiracy83

I'm trying to play around with moisturizers too. Currently I'm using Oil Control Lotion by Dermalogica and also Cetaphil's SPF15 moisturizer. I'm still trying to find a nice hardcore one to help with Accutane hahaha. Good luck!

I'm trying to play around with moisturizers too. Currently I'm using Oil Control Lotion by Dermalogica and also Cetaphil's SPF15 moisturizer. I'm still trying to find a nice hardcore one to help with Accutane hahaha. Good luck!

Thanks! I think I'm going to try the Cetaphil moisturizer as I've heard a lot of good things about it =)

Edited by conspiracy83

So first of all, I'm fairly new to this site so I have no idea if I'm posting this right haha!

I'm start Accutane soon and I'm beyond excited! I've had acne ever since I was 10 and I'm now 17 so I'm definately ready for 'tane.

I want to keep this log of my journey with 'tane and I'm going to take pictures of my face without make-up starting when I start Accutane in about a week.

The reason I'm writing now is because of it being winter my skin is VERY VERY VERY dry... and itchy. I know that 'tane can make your skin dry too so I'd really appericate any recommendations for good mostizers that I could use before I start 'tane. Right now I'm using Neutrogena Healthy Skin AHA (which is recommended on this site) and it was working till a couple weeks ago. I've been using it for about a month.

I'll be bring up the dry skin issue to my drema the next time I see him but for now I was just wondering if anyone on here has any advise for me?

Thanks ^____^

p.s. I'm Gillian, hi :)

Hey,

I had dry skin before Accutane too. I'm on day 39 and have been using Dove Sensitive Skin Day Cream in the morning and night as well as Spectro Jel for Dry Skin and my skin hasn't been too dry so far.

Okay so I went for my first blood test on Thursday. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. When I was a kid I use to kick and scream whenever I had a blood test so I imagined it to be a lot worse than it was!

Anyways, so I'm now waiting for my derm to set up an appointment and hopfully I'll be on 'tane in the next week! :dance:

As for my dry skin I was going through my mega load of products in my cupboards and found Nivea Soft Intensive Moisturizing Creme. I remember that when I last used it I had a huge break out! But, I also remembered it made my skin baby soft. And.. as I'm so desperate... I used it one night and my skin hasn't been as dry since! I wouldn't recommand Nivea Soft obviously cause of the break out but man, it really works on dry skin!

I also recently purchased Derma E Scar Gel. I only just started using it this morning and it takes like months to get really good results on old scars apparently but I'll keep at it I think.

It's made my skin really soft which I like. I haven't tried putting make-up over it yet though but it says it should be okay so here's hoping it looks okay under make-up :pray:

The thing I REALLY like about ALL Derma E products is that its all natural and no aminal testing is involved. That's a big plus for me!

The only complaint I have about it so far is it goes on kinda thick. I think I'm just not use to it yet though and it's not that big of a problem.

I'm really hoping this scar gel works though, I have a lot of discoloration scars that I'd REALLY like to disappear.

Anyways, as I said in my last post, I'm going to take pictures of my skin during 'tane and I was going to add some in this post but of course my cameras batteries died :wall:

but I promise pics asap! (though I am kinda scared of it, not even my boyfriend or family members has seen me without make-up!)

Also in my next post (which will be the next time I see my derm) I plan on naming the products I'll be using while on 'tane ^_^

till next time! :cool:

Hello!!

I havent seen a post on acne.org by a girl whose taking accutane who is my age at about the same time I am! :)

My name is Jade, I am also taking Accutane, I am 16, I am also logging my experience on here with pictures too! Im on day 22 and ive already seen a HUGE improvement, so im sure you will too, its supposed to be better the younger you are, your skin heal faster, thus less marks and faster skin cell renewal :D ive had acne since i was 10 btw :D

Just came to say good luck! Ive also got dry skin, and had a mixture of dry and oily skin before i started tane, but ive found a product range now and im sticking to it! reccommended by my derm. its all products by "simple" you should check it out :P:)

Send me a message if you see any improvements in the first 1-2 weeks when you first go on tane! will be interesting to compare results! Good luck and welcome to the tane side :) x

Broken Pearls your progress on 'tane is amazing! definately going to track your course, good luck to you too!

Okay so I originally planned not to make another entry till I had talked to my derm BUT my blood work apparently hasn't gotten in to him yet so I have to wait and call back on Wed. to see if I can make an appointment. So! because I'm bored I'm going to post on here again (even if no reads it).

I figured I'd post the products I'm currently using pre 'tane and the products I plan to use while on 'tane.

First I'll tell you what kind of acne my derm has told me I have: severe acne roscea. This, I think, is because I tend to get a lot of crysts that won't come to a head (of course I'm stupid and end up picking them anyways so they become huge scabs). I've had this kinda of acne since I was 13. From 10 to 12 I just had mild acne. When I was 13-14 I think my acne was the worse which is odd seeing how this is when I never wore any make-up, ah well.

So right now I'm using:

- Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Scrub during mornings and nights. I'm not sure if I really like it, I'm kind of new to it. Before I was using a cleanser from Avon which I REALLY hated so I just picked up any old cleanser from shoppers and this is what I came home with, haha.

- I also use a soap on my face and the rest of my body by a brand called Kiss My Face, I use the Olive Oil Soap Bar. I really like this because it's all natural. My only complaint is that it dries out my skin a bit much. However, I plan on still using it while on 'tane.

- After the Neutrogena Scrub I wait 5 minutes and then put on Clindasol Cream with SPF 15. This was a prescription given to me by my old derm and I have noticed I have less crysts since using it.

- If my face is really dry after waiting 5 minutes from putting on the Clindasol Cream, I'll put on Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion with SPF 15 and AHA. Like I said in my first post, I really liked this lotion till a little while ago. It also burns a bit when you put it on (I heard a lot of people complaining about it burning a lot but I don't really mind it so much).

If my skins REALLY dry after putting on the Clindasol I'll put on the Nivea moisturizing I mentioned before but this does tend to make me break out so I only use it when I'm desperate.

For make-upI use BareMinerals. I LOVE this make-up, especially because it's minerals. Before it I was using Mac make-up but Mac tends to make me break out like crazy (lots of crysts) and as soon as I changed to BareMinerals my skin cleared soooo much!

I use the BareMinerals foundation with SPF 15, shade Fair (I have pretty light skin). In the directions on how to use this make-up it says to put on a Mineral Veil (which has corn starch in it) because mineral make-up tends to not last as long as other make-ups. However, I find that when I do put the Veil on it makes my face itchy, plus I don't notice much of a difference. BareMinerals also suggests to use a bronzer (which they call Warmth) but I honestly have NEVER used the one I got with my starter kit. I like really light skin so I don't want to use a bronzer. BareMinerals also offer blushes I believe but I never use those either.

ANYWAYS! I really, really recommend this make-up!

So when I come home from school I immediately take off my make-up. To do that I just use water and the Kiss My Face soap I mentioned.

- If I feel like my skin is really gross or something I use Avon Clearskin Cleansing Pads. I haven't really noticed a difference with them but they do a good job of making my skin feel clean and not look so red after I use them.

At night, like I said, I wash with the Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Scrub.

- After waiting 5 minutes I use Differin XP, also prescriped to me by my old derm.

I use to use Benza Clin (prescriped to me by my old derm) but that's the reason my skin has been SO dry lately so I haven't really used it recently. However, it does work REALLY well on crysts I find. It's 1% clinamycin and 5% BP (which isn't recommended by Dan on this site apparently he likes a lesser dose of BP but whatever).

I also take a multivitamin in the morning or at night if I forget in the morning.

I've also been on Alesse for about four months now but I haven't really seen an improvement in my skin because of it.

So once I'm on Accutane in about a week I plan to use:

- Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser as my face wash.

- Cetaphil moisturizer.

- Aquaphor for dry lips.

And then I plan to stick with the BareMinerals make-up and the Kiss My Face soap.

Also, once my skin clears up a bit I'll be using Derma E Scar Gel (I was going to start now but it's just a lot of work while trying to clear up my face as well).

All these products I'm using while on 'tane I've found most other people use while on 'tane too (which is why I chose these specific products).

I've also heard Clinique Reddness Solutions moisturizier helps with the reddness you can get from 'tane. Is there anyone currently on 'tane and using this product? If so, what do you think about it?

If anyone has any "survival tips" for while on 'tane that they'd like to recommend please say so!

p.s. still haven't gotten batteries for my camera. I was going to post pictures that I had taken with PhotoBooth on my macbook but it really wasn't worth it because it really doesn't show how bad my skin really is lol

sorry this was so long! I was bored and I'll be surprised if anyone reads this, haha

:ninja:

Edited by conspiracy83

If anyone has any "survival tips" for while on 'tane that they'd like to recommend please say so!

Moisturise your arms atleast twice a day! I never did on my first course and got horrible rashes. Always carry eyedrops with you as the dry eyes can kill until you have relief.

completely agree with both things tv_viewer said.. I've gotten a ton of rashes on my forearms and the backs of my hands, but lotion and moisturizer prevents them and helps them go away if you do get them. Eye drops are also a must. I'd recommend Eucerin Daily Moisturizing lotion. It has really worked well for me and I have had minimally dry skin (still very dry, but managable) while on accutane.

completely agree with both things tv_viewer said.. I've gotten a ton of rashes on my forearms and the backs of my hands, but lotion and moisturizer prevents them and helps them go away if you do get them. Eye drops are also a must. I'd recommend Eucerin Daily Moisturizing lotion. It has really worked well for me and I have had minimally dry skin (still very dry, but managable) while on accutane.

thanks for commenting!

Do you use the Eucerin Daily Moisturizing lotion on your face to? or just kinda everywhere but your face? lol And if you do use it on your face, do you tend to break out because of it?

Well I'm FINALLY starting Accutane on Wednesday of next week! eek!

My derm just made me go for another blood test just to make sure everything is still okay and then I can go and get my prescription!

He's suggested that I use cetaphil products while on 'tane and when I said that's what I was planning to do he was like "I love this! You already know probably more than I do about Accutane!" haha thanks to everyone elses 'tane logs =p

I've changed my Accutane log to another topic thinger

here's a link:

linkageeeeee

Edited by conspiracy83