Notifications
Clear all

The Clear Skin Cheat Sheet

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/06/2010 5:54 pm

I haven't been on this forum in a while, mainly because my skin is totally clear and my health is really good so I don't need to do much research on it anymore.

But I notice that there are still a lot of people struggling here, so I'm going to create this cheat sheet below on how to really get clear skin:

Theory: Cavemen, humans living in their natural environment did not have acne. Mimic the natural environment of your ancestors and you will not have acne either.

Practice:

1. Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type.
  2. Avoid gluten as much as possible.
  3. Make sure you are eating a good source of omega-3s on a daily basis. Fish oil, fish, cod liver oil, etc.
  4. Take 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 a day or go sunbathing/use a tanning bed on a daily basis.
  5. Exercise daily, up to a sweat, with an intensity that is hard enough so that you are breathing hard. 15-20 minutes is enough to maintain good health daily.
  6. Sleep in complete darkness and go to bed and wake up around the same time everyday. Aim for about 8 hours of sleep a night and nap to make up any sleep lost if you are tired.
  7. Avoid topical ointments, cosmetics, etc., as much as possible. Put as little on your skin as you can handle. Currently I only use pure 100% coconut oil soap once daily on my skin and that is it.
  8. Avoid supplements and drugs (prescription and otherwise) as much as possible. These are not natural and will have largely unpredictable and bad effects on your body. It is very easy to bring your body out of balance using supplements and drugs, while it is very difficult to get your body out of balance eating natural foods.

More information here:

Paleo diet - http://paleodiet.com/

A good free metabolic typing test - http://www.lowcarbnz.co.nz/Story/metabolic_type.htm

Gluten-free diet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet

Vitamin D - http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

My Results (this is what anyone can achieve if they follow these steps)

MemberMember
(@aussiesmile)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:16 pm

Heathdude, this is your first post in ages. Im guessing your off the HCL and have mimicked its affects naturally. Thanks for sharing the info it sums it up pretty nicely :D

MemberMember
(@steviec)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:17 pm

If only life was that easy, lol.

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:28 pm

Heathdude, this is your first post in ages. Im guessing your off the HCL and have mimicked its affects naturally. Thanks for sharing the info it sums it up pretty nicely :D

Yeah definitely don't use HCL anymore. I had a lot of digestion issues, but this stuff fixed it.

If only life was that easy, lol.

These steps are definitely not easy.

Perhaps I should write that the number one quality required to get naturally clear skin is discipline.

But for me the results are so good that it's self-reinforcing, I don't even think about doing most of this stuff anymore, I just do it on a daily basis automatically now.

MemberMember
(@hittheswitch)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:33 pm

this seems pretty alright, but a lot of people are going to get screwed over by quitting topicals like BP and AHA.

MemberMember
(@murmur)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:44 pm

this seems pretty alright, but a lot of people are going to get screwed over by quitting topicals like BP and AHA.

...I don't know about this -- quitting topicals was a godsend for me. I use aspirin and jojoba oil as needed, but that's it. My skin was never WORSE than when I was using lots of topicals. BP nearly made my eyes swell shut. I tried lots of natural/holistic skincare lines too and they all caused terrible inflammation.

For me a paleo-esque diet plus bioidentical progesterone to correct a severe progesterone deficiency (one that did not respond to nutritional/lifestyle treatment alone) is what got me clear. I have been mostly clear for a while now, and I only break out noticeably when I've been eating poorly, not sleeping enough, etc. Basically what Healthoid is outlining has worked for me as well, with the addition of the progesterone.

Still working on the red marks and scars, which are slowly but surely fading. Slow process but I'm getting there.

MemberMember
(@hittheswitch)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:49 pm

thats pretty much the opposite me, I had pretty clear skin when on topicals, and i decided to quit them, thinking they were messing me up more than helping, and quitting them is now the reason I have terrible scars on my face. I'm now back on the regimen and almost clear (I've had about one spot in the last month). Now I'm just dealing with red marks / scars.

MemberMember
(@samesonganddance)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:50 pm

...I don't know about this -- quitting topicals was a godsend for me. I use aspirin and jojoba oil as needed, but that's it. My skin was never WORSE than when I was using lots of topicals. BP nearly made my eyes swell shut. I tried lots of natural/holistic skincare lines too and they all caused terrible inflammation.

For me a paleo-esque diet plus bioidentical progesterone to correct a severe progesterone deficiency (one that did not respond to nutritional/lifestyle treatment alone) is what got me clear. I have been mostly clear for a while now, and I only break out noticeably when I've been eating poorly, not sleeping enough, etc. Basically what Healthoid is outlining has worked for me as well, with the addition of the progesterone.

Still working on the red marks and scars, which are slowly but surely fading. Slow process but I'm getting there.

I stopped using BP and Ziana(clynd + trentinoin) and my skin cleared up immediately. I actually follow this plan religiously and it has helped me a ton. It is the only thing that actually makes sense. I would recommend this to everyone. Topicals are only a short term fix.. if that. They don't get to the root of the problem. I would be upset if I had to apply BP to my face for the rest of my life. It just doesn't make sense.

MemberMember
(@goodlife)

Posted : 01/06/2010 7:02 pm

Everyone is different, you can't post a list of things that work for you and say they will definitely work for others.

Plenty of people have had success with supplements, topicals and diet.

MemberMember
(@electric_feel)

Posted : 01/06/2010 7:30 pm

[*]Take 4,000 IU of vitamin D a day or go sunbathing/use a tanning bed on a daily basis.

Won't sunbathing or using a tanning bed daily increase your chances of skin cancer? You don't specify for how long.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/06/2010 7:48 pm

I really have to disagree with the tanning bed on a 'daily basis' part. This is actually not a good idea Healthoid, tanning beds increase the risk of melanoma.

You're other points definitely seem reasonable.

Welcome back though and btw what happened to your website?

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/06/2010 8:14 pm

If you want, you can continue using BP and AHA while doing this regimen as well. But in the end, BP and AHA are damaging your skin and may actually cause acne in healthy skin.

Everyone is different, you can't post a list of things that work for you and say they will definitely work for others.

Plenty of people have had success with supplements, topicals and diet.

Everyone is different sure, but everyone is human, which is what this regimen is based on. It's based on the fact that we all evolved from similar genes which evolved to live in a certain type of environment in the hunter-gatherer period. Metabolic typing is one thing though that takes into account the different types of diets different hunter-gatherers would have eaten depending on what region of the world they lived in.

[*]Take 4,000 IU of vitamin D a day or go sunbathing/use a tanning bed on a daily basis.

Won't sunbathing or using a tanning bed daily increase your chances of skin cancer? You don't specify for how long.

Sunbathing and using most tanning beds (DO NOT USE HI-SPEED TANNING BEDS) will actually decrease your risk of cancer. Read more here: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/cancerMain.shtml

Also, if you are afraid of the sun/tanning, just take the supplements instead. Your results will not be quite as good, but they will still work well.

I really have to disagree with the tanning bed on a 'daily basis' part. This is actually not a good idea Healthoid, tanning beds increase the risk of melanoma.

You're other points definitely seem reasonable.

Welcome back though and btw what happened to your website?

Some tanning beds are bad. They are called hi-speed tanning beds and they have an unnatural ratio of UVB to UVA rays, which can mess up your skin and possibly cause cancers like melanoma.

But tanning beds that have a UVB to UVA ratio that mimics the sun are very safe and good for you. Mercola sells these and many tanning salons have ones that are sufficient as well.

If you don't want to tan, which I understand because it can be a pain in the butt, regardless of fake cancer scares, then just take the supplements because they are cheap and easy.

As far as my website goes, I guess for the most part I just got bored of it :D . I am sort of an entrepreneur, always getting interested in new things and starting new projects, and I just didn't have time for Healthoid.com anymore. But hopefully informational posts like these will make up for it ;)

MemberMember
(@pinkunicorn)

Posted : 01/06/2010 8:22 pm

being in the sun causes cancer? oh god, we're all doomed!

MemberMember
(@anonymou5)

Posted : 01/06/2010 8:49 pm

I haven't been on this forum in a while, mainly because my skin is totally clear and my health is really good so I don't need to do much research on it anymore.

But I notice that there are still a lot of people struggling here, so I'm going to create this cheat sheet below on how to really get clear skin:

Theory: Cavemen, humans living in their natural environment did not have acne. Mimic the natural environment of your ancestors and you will not have acne either.

Practice:

1. Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type. Cheese is ok, because you need a good source of calcium (paleo people ate bones), but do not eat any other dairy. Use lots of herbs and spices, they are good for you.
  2. Avoid gluten as much as possible. Some people may need to avoid even the small amounts present in BBQ sauce, soy sauce, beer, etc.
  3. Make sure you are eating a good source of omega-3s on a daily basis. Fish oil, fish, cod liver oil, etc.
  4. Take 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 a day or go sunbathing/use a tanning bed on a daily basis.
  5. Exercise daily, up to a sweat, with an intensity that is hard enough so that you are breathing hard. 15-20 minutes is enough to maintain good health daily.
  6. Sleep in complete darkness and go to bed and wake up around the same time everyday. Aim for about 8 hours of sleep a night and nap to make up any sleep lost if you are tired.
  7. Avoid topical ointments, cosmetics, etc., as much as possible. Put as little on your skin as you can handle. Currently I only use pure 100% coconut oil soap once daily on my skin and that is it.
  8. Avoid supplements and drugs (prescription and otherwise) as much as possible. These are not natural and will have largely unpredictable and bad effects on your body. It is very easy to bring your body out of balance using supplements and drugs, while it is very difficult to get your body out of balance eating natural foods.

More information here:

A good free metabolic typing test - http://www.lowcarbnz.co.nz/Story/metabolic_type.htm

1. I like the paleo diet, but cavemen weren't subjected to antibiotics, birth control, etc., therefore they never had the possibility of candida overgrowth. But if you don't have candida, the paleo diet is excellent.

2. Good advice. The candida diet is ideal in my opinion, because not only is it gluten free, it's free of pretty much all common allergens (Except nuts).

3. Definitely, I also supplement omega 3-6-9 to be sure I'm getting it.

4. High quality multivitamin is where it's at, has everything you need, A to Zinc. While I believe sun is excellent for your skin, tanning beds are a horrible idea. They can contribute to skin cancer. And don't even tell me that the sun gives you cancer, this is ridiculous propaganda.

5. Exercising and sweating are great for detoxifying the body and cleansing pores.

6. Sleep, another basic necessity that most people for some reason don't get.

7. I'm down with topicals, but I strictly use organic ones. I stopped washing my face with my natural cleanser because it dried my skin out terribly. I only use organic extra virgin coconut oil and organic apple cider vinegar now.

8. I beg to differ. Supplements played a pivotal role in helping cleanse my body of candida and providing it with raw materials to thrive and repair itself. While it would be ideal to get 100% of your vitamins and minerals from food, this is nearly impossible. I don't see what's wrong with taking natural vitamins, which are actually sourced from whole food anyways. There comes a problem when people start taking ridiculous doses of vitamins, and take things they don't even need. This is just stupid, do some research before you take anything. As for the pharmaceuticals, I couldn't agree more. Pharmaceuticals are comprised of toxic chemicals that merely suppress symptoms rather than cure the underlying cause of disease.

Those are my thoughts.

MemberMember
(@chris-6)

Posted : 01/09/2010 11:06 am

Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type. Cheese is ok, because you need a good source of calcium (paleo people ate bones), but do not eat any other dairy. Use lots of herbs and spices, they are good for you.

what do you recommend I take (supplements or food?) for calcium/magnesium/k2 if i cant tolerate any dairy NO raw cheese :(

MemberMember
(@evasion)

Posted : 01/09/2010 11:22 am

Practice:

1. Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type. Cheese is ok, because you need a good source of calcium (paleo people ate bones), but do not eat any other dairy. Use lots of herbs and spices, they are good for you.
  2. Avoid gluten as much as possible. Some people may need to avoid even the small amounts present in BBQ sauce, soy sauce, beer, etc.

More information here:

1. I like the paleo diet, but cavemen weren't subjected to antibiotics, birth control, etc., therefore they never had the possibility of candida overgrowth. But if you don't have candida, the paleo diet is excellent.

2. Good advice. The candida diet is ideal in my opinion, because not only is it gluten free, it's free of pretty much all common allergens (Except nuts).

3. Definitely, I also supplement omega 3-6-9 to be sure I'm getting it.

4. High quality multivitamin is where it's at, has everything you need, A to Zinc. While I believe sun is excellent for your skin, tanning beds are a horrible idea. They can contribute to skin cancer. And don't even tell me that the sun gives you cancer, this is ridiculous propaganda.

5. Exercising and sweating are great for detoxifying the body and cleansing pores.

6. Sleep, another basic necessity that most people for some reason don't get.

7. I'm down with topicals, but I strictly use organic ones. I stopped washing my face with my natural cleanser because it dried my skin out terribly. I only use organic extra virgin coconut oil and organic apple cider vinegar now.

8. I beg to differ. Supplements played a pivotal role in helping cleanse my body of candida and providing it with raw materials to thrive and repair itself. While it would be ideal to get 100% of your vitamins and minerals from food, this is nearly impossible. I don't see what's wrong with taking natural vitamins, which are actually sourced from whole food anyways. There comes a problem when people start taking ridiculous doses of vitamins, and take things they don't even need. This is just stupid, do some research before you take anything. As for the pharmaceuticals, I couldn't agree more. Pharmaceuticals are comprised of toxic chemicals that merely suppress symptoms rather than cure the underlying cause of disease.

Those are my thoughts.

Sorry to momentarily derail this thread but what are some good supplements for candida? I have been trying to eat no sugar and have been doing very good with that but is there anything else I can do?

Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type. Cheese is ok, because you need a good source of calcium (paleo people ate bones), but do not eat any other dairy. Use lots of herbs and spices, they are good for you.

what do you recommend I take (supplements or food?) for calcium/magnesium/k2 if i cant tolerate any dairy NO raw cheese :(

Eat more dark leafy vegetables for calcium.

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/09/2010 2:35 pm

You could try fish bones, in canned salmon and sardines. Also almonds have a decent amount of calcium.

Interestingly, calcium is needed to properly keep your gut un-leaky, so calcium itself can prevent food intolerances. It may be that after you start eating a lot of calcium, even from cheese, your cheese intolerance will clear up.

MemberMember
(@aksjdf)

Posted : 01/23/2010 12:03 am

Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type. Cheese is ok, because you need a good source of calcium (paleo people ate bones), but do not eat any other dairy.

You no longer recommend raw dairy products like butter or milk?

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/23/2010 1:49 am

Eat a paleo-ish diet, according to your metabolic type. Cheese is ok, because you need a good source of calcium (paleo people ate bones), but do not eat any other dairy.

You no longer recommend raw dairy products like butter or milk?

I recommend raw cheese, but raw milk has some properties that make it undesirable (mainly lactose causes issues, even in people with lactose tolerance). If you could go without dairy altogether that would be best, but you need some good source of calcium so cheese is your best bet. Butter is ok, but still has significantly more lactose than most cheeses, so it's a sub-par fat source compared to say beef fat.

MemberMember
(@aksjdf)

Posted : 01/23/2010 4:37 am

Why do anti-candida diets allow butter but, not cheese if cheese has less lactose than butter? I'm looking to get a good source of calcium without supplementing and may go with one or the other.

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/23/2010 5:06 am

Why do anti-candida diets allow butter but, not cheese if cheese has less lactose than butter? I'm looking to get a good source of calcium without supplementing and may go with one or the other.

I don't know that doesn't make any sense . Candida feeds off sugar, which is the lactose. They probably think that the bacteria that ferment cheese is bad for you, when the truth is that it will actually compete with candida, similar to a probiotic.

Butter has no calcium, so go for cheese.

The cheeses that are lowest in lactose are aged cheese, the harder the better (hard cheese means it has less lactose).

MemberMember
(@socold)

Posted : 01/23/2010 1:41 pm

The point of Healthoid's post is a diet and regimen that gives you all of your required vitamins and minerals without taking a "fix-all" pill, as multivitamins are being deemed now. And it seems obvious he agrees the sun is beneficial, but the typical person can't be outside in adequate sun exposure throught the day to provide optimum vitamin d levels.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/02/2010 1:01 pm

I know this diet, but I hate it! because I hate caveman, they are stupid ugly monkeys, they were dumb, uuugly~ and lived short lifes and in cave, I dont want them to be my ancestors! plus I dont want to eat meat and fish or other little guys just because of some frikkin d vitamin or something! I hate caveman and my stupid caveman descendant body! I want to be originated from beautiful and highly intelectual alien people who have epic strong dna which can adapt to like aanything plus have cool superpowers!!

plus why do we have to mimic some freaking ancestors? we are we, right here and now and we are not caveman anymore, stupid body and blood type should just readjust to our changes, this paleo thing just pisses me off

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 09/02/2010 3:13 pm

I know this diet, but I hate it! because I hate caveman, they are stupid ugly monkeys, they were dumb, uuugly~ and lived short lifes and in cave, I dont want them to be my ancestors! plus I dont want to eat meat and fish or other little guys just because of some frikkin d vitamin or something! I hate caveman and my stupid caveman descendant body! I want to be originated from beautiful and highly intelectual alien people who have epic strong dna which can adapt to like aanything plus have cool superpowers!!

plus why do we have to mimic some freaking ancestors? we are we, right here and now and we are not caveman anymore, stupid body and blood type should just readjust to our changes, this paleo thing just pisses me off

😆

MemberMember
(@lostkel)

Posted : 01/22/2011 12:24 am

can anyone give specifics on what can and cannot be eaten. like what to avoid and what i can enjoy? and some examples of recipees?