Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~kiki~

DRY DRY skin & cystic Acne

Hello friends! I am new to the site as a member - although I have been scanning the pages for quite some time now.

I have PCOS which could be what is causing me cystic acne.

( I get large painful irregular shaped bumps under my skin that raise, turn red but never come to a head unless I poke them)

Problem is I have about the driest skin you've ever seen. I mean it's drier than a popcorn fart. (yes - I gently exfoliate, cleanse with a mild cream cleanser and moisturize with a non-comedogenic cream) but still I have acne

Over the last couple years I've spent over $5000 on high end cosmetic creams (not an exaggeration). Exfoliators, cream cleansers, None of them work. I mean none of them. I have literally tried them all.

At the cosmetic counter I know more than the sales lady about ingredients etc. of everything they sell.

I've tried New Skin and BeautiControl, health food store "natural" topical applications.

I just can't find anything that works since the products that work by drying my skin make my acne WORSE. So overall my acne has been getting worse and I decided to go the mainstream medicine route. My doctor prescribed me Benza Clin which was an absolute disaster. She told me it was an antibiotic so I had the prescription filled without thinking... Had I known it had Benzol peroxide in it I would have never filled the prescription - since my years with cosmetics creams has told me Benzol is drying and makes my red bumps redder and my acne way worse.

I'm just really having a time finding something that works. I was prescribed Stievamycin today and read that it causes major dryness. WTF? I got hosed again...

How is it I could be the ONLY person in the world with dry dry skin and acne? Do they make something for people with dry skin AND acne? What is it? (and I don't just mean less drying - like I need something that moisturizes majorly)

I can't take BCP's because I have a clotting disorder. So Diane-35 YAZ etc they are all OUT.

Another question I have is... it seems the dryer my skin the worse my acne is (it's worse in winter time and after using drying face products) I have a theory and I wanted to see what everyone else thought... My pores are really small... Because dry skin has smaller tighter pores... This means things applied topically can't get into the small pores and clean them out... Also it means infection and stuff can't get out (hence the very deep painful inflamed cystic acne)... So then what does one do. Maybe I should be smothering myself in oil and going for a steam after??? Maybe that would open up the pores so that the stuff could get cleaned out and then I could wash with a gentle cleanser??? Thing is I tried the castor oil/almond oil regime and I didn't think it was working at all. maybe I should try again.

Does anyone have similar stories or ideas??? Please Help me if you have any ideas.

I stopped cleansing because I felt that it was over-drying my skin. My face always felt dry and most if not all moisturizers have a negative affect on me. My face, depending on the weather, is either really dry or oily. When it's dry I just wash my face once during the day and let it go naturally but if it's oily, three times. My face just feels a lot more naturally moisturized these days but I never get of the habit of using my nightly acne products.

And yes, over-drying did lead to more acne for me. More ingrown facial hairs too which was f*cked!

two of my keys letter not working but i will try too my skin was so ry that it felt like it was going to crack an cysts acne that not ok all the vist cant hel me the more money gone on stuff thats not working but i know i have to fix this so i try all the stuff over counter but one thing work three months ago my skin was cystic now its some what clear i just have the marks but that ok.exfoliating an some caress bar b/wash the bright one exfoliating wash caress soa my skin feel like thin not like skin on skin its works better when u melt it in water use it three times let me know if it work! for u :dance::think:

I stopped cleansing because I felt that it was over-drying my skin. My face always felt dry and most if not all moisturizers have a negative affect on me. My face, depending on the weather, is either really dry or oily. When it's dry I just wash my face once during the day and let it go naturally but if it's oily, three times. My face just feels a lot more naturally moisturized these days but I never get of the habit of using my nightly acne products.

And yes, over-drying did lead to more acne for me. More ingrown facial hairs too which was f*cked!

I too stopped cleansing after realizing that products had ruined my skin by stripping it and overdrying it. I tried everything, but it always lead to drier skin and worse acne. The funny thing is, I used to rarely get acne at all before I washed my face with products, started using moisturizers, etc. I would simply wash my face with water in the shower, and that's it. All of my acne problems started when I started dating this new girl that I wanted to impress and started washing my face with cleansers.. From there its been downhill like I couldn't believe. Dry skin, flakiness, red blotches, and red spots from acne, gigantic painful cysts that just won't give in...

I've recently reverted back to only using water to wash my face, and I can already see an improvement. I no longer have cysts terrorizing my face, and my skin just feels a lot healthier overall. Now I'm waiting for the red spots and blotches to fade, hopefully I didn't cause too much damage with all of those harsh products...