Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Red/blue light and needling for acne scar prevention and treatment? (with picture)

Hi all,

I recently got a NatureBright acne lamp with six 415 nm blue bulbs and six 660 nm interchangeable red bulbs. My current active acne is now fairly mild thanks to vitamins, but it ALL scars (shallow dents that I can see and feel with my fingertips, not red marks), and I have several larger scars leftover from moderate acne in the past 6 months that I'm planning on needling (dermaroller) while they're still fairly fresh. Most of my scars are concentrated on my left cheek and chin area, with some in the center of my chin and others here and there.

Anyone have advice on how to stop and treat scarring with the lamp? All red lights one night and all blue the next? Both at once? Blue in the morning and red at night? It seems like doing all red would be the best for scarring as it reduces inflammation, but I'm not sure if it'd be better to get the acne more under control with the blue light too.

I'm currently using both the red and blue at once for 15 mins a day, then following with a DMAE serum with Vitamins A, C, D, E, MSM, and CoQ10 in hopes of promoting healing and collagen growth in new scars, as well as improvement in old ones. I also take Vitamins C and E internally, among many others.

Any tips on how to tackle this scarring problem would be AWESOME. :dance:

post-80759-1262810258_thumb.jpg

post-80759-1262810258_thumb.jpg

Edited by QuirkyPixy

Not sure if this is scarring because of the amount of redness that is there. Note that the area is still healing and since you're very young, it should more than likely get even with the rest of the skin because healing is really good when you're young. My friend who is 22 got a bad injury near his nose in a diving accident, and it was very deep with tissue loss, but it got completely healed...pretty amazing.

The red light should help in healing and inflammation and blue light is great for controlling acne---your pictures in the other thread show great progress. The supplementation etc. should mostly just give some minor help (or even none at all).

Probably put retin-a or differin 2-3x in...that'll help in long term collagen production as well as prevent further breakouts.

Edited by usacc

Not sure if this is scarring because of the amount of redness that is there. Note that the area is still healing and since you're very young, it should more than likely get even with the rest of the skin because healing is really good when you're young. My friend who is 22 got a bad injury near his nose in a diving accident, and it was very deep with tissue loss, but it got completely healed...pretty amazing.

The red light should help in healing and inflammation and blue light is great for controlling acne---your pictures in the other thread show great progress. The supplementation etc. should mostly just give some minor help (or even none at all).

Probably put retin-a or differin 2-3x in...that'll help in long term collagen production as well as prevent further breakouts.

Thank you for your advice! I believe they are indeed scars, as they are clearly indented and cast shadows, and I can feel some of them if I touch my skin. I do have hope that they will level out on their own, though.

I just started light therapy a few days ago, so hopefully things will get even better!

Differin never really worked for me, even in combination with Duac, and I'm kind of afraid of retin-A because my skin is super-senstive. I think the cream I'm using right now will help with the collagen too, but thank you for your suggestions. :)

Thank you for your advice! I believe they are indeed scars, as they are clearly indented and cast shadows, and I can feel some of them if I touch my skin. I do have hope that they will level out on their own, though.

I just started light therapy a few days ago, so hopefully things will get even better!

Differin never really worked for me, even in combination with Duac, and I'm kind of afraid of retin-A because my skin is super-senstive. I think the cream I'm using right now will help with the collagen too, but thank you for your suggestions. :)

I'd suggest you try Retin-A as well. My skin is super sensitive (rosacea) and I can handle the 0.025% Retin-A every second day (though I actually do it every 3rd day). The key, and it took me a long time to figure this out, is to really use as little as possible. It's tricky because if you use too much, your face will turn red, dry and breakout. It has helped my skin's indentation and texture. I'm young too, so I think we respond differently to it than folks who are in their 30's-40's.

I'd suggest you try Retin-A as well. My skin is super sensitive (rosacea) and I can handle the 0.025% Retin-A every second day (though I actually do it every 3rd day). The key, and it took me a long time to figure this out, is to really use as little as possible. It's tricky because if you use too much, your face will turn red, dry and breakout. It has helped my skin's indentation and texture. I'm young too, so I think we respond differently to it than folks who are in their 30's-40's.
I'll definitely keep it in mind, but right now I really can't afford to deal with the "initial breakout" and sun sensitivity that retinoids tend to cause. I'm too scared. :ninja: