Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LLL3

want to start accutane..but no insurance....

I would like to see a dermatologist but I do not have insurance so I will obviously be paying upfront for the visit. If I start accutane, how often do I need to visit the derm? once a month? 2x a month? And how much does the actual medication cost? Anything else that will cost me more money? blood tests? how often are those?

I think it's a case by case basis but I want to get an idea how much I will expect to pay for the entire accutane treatment.

I would like to see a dermatologist but I do not have insurance so I will obviously be paying upfront for the visit. If I start accutane, how often do I need to visit the derm? once a month? 2x a month? And how much does the actual medication cost? Anything else that will cost me more money? blood tests? how often are those?

I think it's a case by case basis but I want to get an idea how much I will expect to pay for the entire accutane treatment.

I assume you're in the U.S.?

I would strongly encourage you to try to get some sort of insurance before you pursue accutane. The costs of it, even the generics, are pretty prohibitive if you aren't insured. Several hundred dollars a month for the pills themselves, plus monthly dermatologists visits and blood work, which must be done in a lab. Also, if you are female and sexually active you will need to be on some sort of hormonal birth control.

I know how disappointing that all probably is to hear, but it is possible to buy yourself a pretty cheap insurance policy that would cover it. Hope that helps!

YES, YES, YES, get insurance before you see a dermatologist. Otherwise the insurance company will either a) not cover your derm visits or your accutane prescriptions or b) raise your premiums. The condition (in this case, acne) has to be diagnosed when you are already insured.

I would also recommend taking out a medical loan. You will probably need that $$$ in addition to your insurance coverage, very few insurance companies cover the cost of dr. visits and prescriptions (plus pregnancy tests and birth control, if you are a woman) 100%.

Good luck!

I am paying for Accutane out-of-pocket as I don't have insurance either. You have to visit the doctor once each month for your 5-7 month treatment for bloodwork and a prescription. My monthly costs end up being around 150$ for bloodwork+visit because my dermatologist knows I don't have insurance.

The real cost is the medication - Accutane or a generic. I know Sotret is around 250$ for a month's supply of 40mg. So if you have around 400$ - 450$ a month in total for the treatment, it shouldn't be a problem. If not, you can follow the advice of those who posted above.

ah ha! this is the post I was looking for! thanks a lot. How is your treatment going? or are you already done with it?

Glad I could provide some information that helped. :) I'm 4 weeks in and no changes as of yet. But I have high hopes because this IS the miracle drug, right?