Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jlw0329

Losing hope in spiro...

So I have been taking Spironolactone (75mg) for 4 1/2 months now and am beginning to lose hope that it is going to clear me. I did not have one huge initial breakout, but am still getting a new pimple almost every day. (Random spots all over my face). Most of the other posts I have read on here say they saw results in the 3rd month. I have asked my derm to increase my dosage but she has refused to go any higher than 75 mg due to my weight. (Although I weigh 130 lbs and other people weigh less and are on higher dosages). I have visited a second derm as well who will not prescribe any higher than 50 mg of spiro but mentioned accutane as an option if the spiro does not work. My acne is not severe cystic acne, but is incredibly stubborn and persistent. I have tried a ton of different topicals and antiobiotics in the past and the only thing that consistently worked for me was Bactrim, which kept me completely clear for a few years till I built up a tolerance to it. I am going to give it 6 months, and if by that point I'm not clear I'm afraid I will probably resort to accutane to get my clear skin back again. Sorry this is more of a venting/frustration post, but I was really hoping for clear skin by spring/summer :( Was any one else still breaking out regularly in their 4th-5th month that is clear on spiro now?

Hey there JLW..well your story sounds incredibly frustrating..I am so sorry to hear that.. I have been on Spiro 2.5 months and my skin is doing really well, but I even have set backs still from time to time.. I have some sort of wierd thing on my chin right now which could be a half cyst..its the week before my monthly joyful time!! So I assume that is why and I am beginning to see a pattern.. Nonetheless I have seen overall improvement GREATLY!!! And I am 100% confident I will be clear by the 6 month mark. That being said have you seen any improvement?? if so how much? Your weight should have nothing to do with your dosage..If I were you and I wanted to increase my dose and stay with the spiro then I would see my general physician and ask them to increase it.. or you can look into the drug Buke suggested?? dutasteride?? maybe you need to get closer to the root of the problem?

Oh and I don't think you should ever apologize on here for venting I think that's what we are all here for right!!?? It's frustrating thinking about your skin all the time or being in pain or wondering who is looking at you..and more importantly how you view yourself.. it sucks any of us have to go through this. But we're strong people and you WILL find the right "cure" for you...but as you know everyone is different. And if I were in your position I would be avoiding accutane like the plague!! so exhaust every other option if that is truly not a road you want to go down!!

Hope that was helpful keep on trying though!! You'll get there.

Thanks for the encouragement Shells!

Well I just got back from my dermatologist's office and she finally gave me a prescription for 100mg of spironolactone!! She also prescribed a topical treatment called Aczone. I already had samples from a previous visit and started using the Aczone this past Sunday. I think it may be making me break out worse though. That is always my problem with topicals, I get an initial breakout that causes sometimes painful acne that leaves scars so I quit using it after 2 weeks because my acne is worse than before I started. Unfortunately it seems that is how almost all acne medications work though... Has anyone else used Aczone and had success with it? or had an initial breakout also?

I also had a big pimple on my chin that she offered to inject with a cortisone shot. I had never done this before but decided to since it looked red and disgusting and had come to a head that I was using all my willpower not to pop (and there was no possible way to cover it with makeup). Anyways the shot didn't hurt hardly at all and she said it should be flattened out within 24 hours. She told me to make sure I don't squeeze it to try to get the puss out because that will squeeze the medicine out too. I will update tomorrow if it worked!

So I have been taking Spironolactone (75mg) for 4 1/2 months now and am beginning to lose hope that it is going to clear me. I did not have one huge initial breakout, but am still getting a new pimple almost every day. (Random spots all over my face). Most of the other posts I have read on here say they saw results in the 3rd month. I have asked my derm to increase my dosage but she has refused to go any higher than 75 mg due to my weight. (Although I weigh 130 lbs and other people weigh less and are on higher dosages). I have visited a second derm as well who will not prescribe any higher than 50 mg of spiro but mentioned accutane as an option if the spiro does not work. My acne is not severe cystic acne, but is incredibly stubborn and persistent. I have tried a ton of different topicals and antiobiotics in the past and the only thing that consistently worked for me was Bactrim, which kept me completely clear for a few years till I built up a tolerance to it. I am going to give it 6 months, and if by that point I'm not clear I'm afraid I will probably resort to accutane to get my clear skin back again. Sorry this is more of a venting/frustration post, but I was really hoping for clear skin by spring/summer :( Was any one else still breaking out regularly in their 4th-5th month that is clear on spiro now?

I have a similar frustration. I started at 5o mg of spiro and after three months didnt see much improvement, in fact seemed somewhat worse. Derm increased to 100 mg and im in my 2nd month at 100 mg. I am just starting to see some improvement but getting frustrated. My last period was weird too...longer and lighter, just different for me. I have cystic acne with some small pimples on my face most of the time. Usually one to three cysts at any given time. I had great success on mynocicline until i started to get body aches after 5 years and the doc took me off. I also use two tropicals, benzacline and tazarac. I am so scared that this isnt going to work and its the end off the road...there is nothing left i havent tried! Please send me some encouragement...:(

I know how you feel Chittenden.. worried about investing so much time and patience in this medicine and it ultimately not working. I am going to keep my hopes up though till the 6 month mark. What has encouraged me are all the positive reviews people have written about spironolactone (I have probably read them all 3 times by now haha) and how for some people it took the entire 6 months to see a difference and get clear. I know everybody is different so hopefully it's just taking our bodies longer to react to the medicine and it will eventually work for us too. Hang in there! :) As for the unusual period, are you on birth control as well? I am taking ortho tri-cyclen lo which does nothing to improve my acne, but has helped keep my period regular while on the spironolactone.

Chitten, there are girls who are on 200mgs!! If you are not seeing improvement still maybe you need a higher dose?? Don't give up though jlw is right some people take even longer to see results and I still even have "issues" especially since I just took my pill 2hrs late!! erg I might have a problem tomorrow lol!! But the general consensus seems to be at 6 months either you are clear or you quit. And It might take that long for you.. I was like you jlw I read all of those reviews every single day to help me stay positive and it really worked!! After two IB's that were horrid!! I am so so so glad I stuck it out!! Chitten be strong but also watch the topicals and picking.. Sometimes you need to stop using abrasive topicals and you definitely need to stop picking altogether!! You'll get there!!! GOOD LUCK!! keep us posted and we are here to read your venting all the time!! So feel free.

I'm on 200mgs of spiro and it's been working really well for me. I'm also on clindamycin lotion. I've been using the spiro for a month and a week thus far, and my skin has been clearing up rapidly. Definitely consider upping your dose a bit before quitting it if it continues to not work at the lower doses. My doctor initially put me on 200mgs, but she also seems very nonchalant about prescribing me whatever I want really, no real interest I guess. Haha. I hope it works for you!!!! :)

I defiantly know how you feel. I've been on it since August and I'm still breaking out, but I think it's because I went off Yasmin a few months ago and and upped my dosage to Spiro. I think it's just trying to fight off the crap from Yasmin. I can for the life of me not get my bottom to stop breaking out, now my chest is slightly, I just hope Spiro helps it back to where it was in Aug. I was 100% clear, now I'm about 95%. Anyway, hang in there and I also read it can take 8 months to year to see the FULL effect. :razz:

Edited by greeneyesgirl

The second go-around with Yaz and spiro 50 mgs took about 6 months for full effect for dd. Yes, she was breaking out regularly in the 4-5 months period. This is a slow acting med although it does work fast for some. She was on 100 mgs. for a while up until fairly recently but that dose is too high for her. Hang in there. Accutane does work for some but did not work for her . It just gave her scars.