Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Right then, after about 4 years I am returning to the regimen and have decided to sign up here and post a log of my progress, mostly for my own benefit to look back on over the months ahead.

Anyway, a bit of back story. I'm 26 now and first got acne when I was about 17. My acne is charactised by deep painful lumps around my mouth and chin (and less frequently to the sides of my nose) that come to a head and fill with pus virtually every time. I would say it's been moderate for the majority of the time, with some spells of severity back when I got into weight lifting and ate all kinds of things to bulk up. I've also had times where it has been milder, the last year for example has been fairly mild, but there are always times where I have a big break out.

When I was on the regimen about 4 years ago I got really good results, in fact it was probably the happiest time of my life, I woke up every day and didn't have to worry about new pustules that had appeared in need of tweaking before I could face the world, I didn't constantly worry that the little pain I just felt when I smiled was a new spot forming deep within, which would garantee me a massive bright red lump for the next 2 weeks. It was a time of thinking about normal things in life, the way it is meant to be. That there is the main reason enough is enough, that even though in the past year it has been mild, I ALWAYS have those worries, and I always have something to do in the morning to look presentable, there is always something there which subconsciously makes me shy away from my true acne-free self.

The reason why I stopped the regimen is because before I tried it I bought an e-book about beating it from within, getting to the root cause of acne, which promised not only clear skin, but good health like non other. Acne hasn't always been my only problem, but it is definitely the main and worst. I decided to stop the regimen and seek 'perfect health' with all manner of diet, cleansing, supplementation and so forth. I was hooked on it! Every waking minute I was thinking about or reading up on different healthy lifestyles, ways of eating, cleanses, vitamins, super foods, new healthy discoveries. I was so hooked I pretty much alienated myself from everyone, my skin was a mess, but it was ok I told myself, because I was doing liver flushes and colonics, my skin would soon be way beyond perfect and I would glow with health unlike anyone else around! Thousands of pounds I spent over the years, I fasted, I drank all manner of disgusting concoction, I tried diets that left me with virtually no meat on my bones, I looked like crap, and I still had ridiculous acne! I even visited professionals in the natural health field who were left stumped and couldn't understand why nothing had worked or at least shown some signs of improvement. If you ask me it's all a crock o' s***, the amount of time and effort I put into that pitiful existence, not a life, it just simply wasn't worth it. Time is precious, I'd rather die with a clear face at the age of 30, than die at 85 after a lifetime of missed opportunities and regret.

Anyway, that was until about 1 and a half years ago when I just kinda gave up and accepted my acne, ate what I liked and just washed with water daily. Since then it's been pretty mild, but like I say, is ALWAYS something I think about, and I have my bad periods where I will cancel trips, nights out, always avoid the camera, etc because of it.

This christmas just gone was the last straw for me though, I cancelled on a really good friend that I havent seen in years because I had a hideous break out, I recently split up with my girlfriend and I basically want to get back to a life where I can concerntrate on something other than my own self misery!

I am due to recieve Dan's products sometime this week, and am actually dreading starting out due to the fact the first time round I had an unsightly red face for weeks when I started using the BP. I'm now in a job where I simply cannot afford to look like I did that first time so am going to have to go extremely slow, with tiny amounts. I just fear this will never work and I will have to just slap it on eventually and get through the red period :(

I just have to tell myself it's neccessary to get my life back, I have put it off for the past 18 months because of the fear of this first month of treatment. But you know what, I've had enough of not living properly, it's an illness unlike any other, it just destroys the soul and it's time to stop! Maybe I'm being melodramatic! :boohoo:

:)

Anyway, I will try to keep popping back with updates on my progress when I start in hopefully the next few days!

Edited by Colwyn

Right then, after about 4 years I am returning to the regimen and have decided to sign up here and post a log of my progress, mostly for my own benefit to look back on over the months ahead.

Anyway, a bit of back story. I'm 26 now and first got acne when I was about 17. My acne is charactised by deep painful lumps around my mouth and chin (and less frequently to the sides of my nose) that come to a head and fill with pus virtually every time. I would say it's been moderate for the majority of the time, with some spells of severity back when I got into weight lifting and ate all kinds of things to bulk up. I've also had times where it has been milder, the last year for example has been fairly mild, but there are always times where I have a big break out.

When I was on the regimen about 4 years ago I got really good results, in fact it was probably the happiest time of my life, I woke up every day and didn't have to worry about new pustules that had appeared in need of tweaking before I could face the world, I didn't constantly worry that the little pain I just felt when I smiled was a new spot forming deep within, which would garantee me a massive bright red lump for the next 2 weeks. It was a time of thinking about normal things in life, the way it is meant to be. That there is the main reason enough is enough, that even though in the past year it has been mild, I ALWAYS have those worries, and I always have something to do in the morning to look presentable, there is always something there which subconsciously makes me shy away from my true acne-free self.

The reason why I stopped the regimen is because before I tried it I bought an e-book about beating it from within, getting to the root cause of acne, which promised not only clear skin, but good health like non other. Acne hasn't always been my only problem, but it is definitely the main and worst. I decided to stop the regimen and seek 'perfect health' with all manner of diet, cleansing, supplementation and so forth. I was hooked on it! Every waking minute I was thinking about or reading up on different healthy lifestyles, ways of eating, cleanses, vitamins, super foods, new healthy discoveries. I was so hooked I pretty much alienated myself from everyone, my skin was a mess, but it was ok I told myself, because I was doing liver flushes and colonics, my skin would soon be way beyond perfect and I would glow with health unlike anyone else around! Thousands of pounds I spent over the years, I fasted, I drank all manner of disgusting concoction, I tried diets that left me with virtually no meat on my bones, I looked like crap, and I still had ridiculous acne! I even visited professionals in the natural health field who were left stumped and couldn't understand why nothing had worked or at least shown some signs of improvement. If you ask me it's all a crock o' s***, the amount of time and effort I put into that pitiful existence, not a life, it just simply wasn't worth it. Time is precious, I'd rather die with a clear face at the age of 30, than die at 85 after a lifetime of missed opportunities and regret.

Anyway, that was until about 1 and a half years ago when I just kinda gave up and accepted my acne, ate what I liked and just washed with water daily. Since then it's been pretty mild, but like I say, is ALWAYS something I think about, and I have my bad periods where I will cancel trips, nights out, always avoid the camera, etc because of it.

This christmas just gone was the last straw for me though, I cancelled on a really good friend that I havent seen in years because I had a hideous break out, I recently split up with my girlfriend and I basically want to get back to a life where I can concerntrate on something other than my own self misery!

I am due to recieve Dan's products sometime this week, and am actually dreading starting out due to the fact the first time round I had an unsightly red face for weeks when I started using the BP. I'm now in a job where I simply cannot afford to look like I did that first time so am going to have to go extremely slow, with tiny amounts. I just fear this will never work and I will have to just slap it on eventually and get through the red period :(

I just have to tell myself it's neccessary to get my life back, I have put it off for the past 18 months because of the fear of this first month of treatment. But you know what, I've had enough of not living properly, it's an illness unlike any other, it just destroys the soul and it's time to stop! Maybe I'm being melodramatic! :boohoo:

:)

Anyway, I will try to keep popping back with updates on my progress when I start in hopefully the next few days!

Hey there,

It's incredible that you tried all those things and nothing worked. I've tried many things concerning diet as well and also "natural" remedies like tea tree oil, neem supplements, vitamins, etc etc and so forth.

Nothing has worked. If something works for a week or two, the acne will come back twice as bad. I just started on the Regimen a few days ago and I feel like I am at my wit's end - if this doesn't work nothing will! My face is flaky but the jojoba oil added to my moisturizer is wonderful. It really keeps the irritation minimal. I also started off with a tiny bit of BP, even less than recommended, and am keeping it at that level for 2 weeks before moving up in amount. I think the Regimen tests patience. I have noticed that us people with acne want "miracles cures." Something that will work right off the bat and by morning we'll be happy and glowing with lovely porcelain complexions as so many of our peers seem to have. However, the Regimen takes patience. I try to remind myself everyday!

Anyway, good luck. I hope this works for us both! I'm also 28 and feel like my peak years are passing me by... I just want this acne to be over with so I can get on with my life and not be miserable everytime I get a spot and I can finally smile at the camera!

All the best!

Hi Sweetsleep, seems like we are in the same boat. Need to get this under control so we can live life properly. It's amazing the impact something that sounds so trivial (spots) can have over someone's life!!

In the first few years I too was after a quick fix, but with my years of trying holistic means I'm definitely more of a long term thinker now. I don't need instant results anymore, which is useful because I know from the first time how long it takes for the red marks to disappear on this regimen. When you stop breaking out you have a much higher expectation for your skin, and those red marks seem to last an eternity! lol

Anyway, an update..

I finally recieved Dan's products yesterday, the useless postal service in the UK can't cope with snow so I've been waiting for ages despite having no snow where I live. Anyway, I went to the docs last week and he gave me an antibiotic that is applied to the skin, I've been using it for a week just to see if it could help get a nasty outbreak I suffered after new year under control. The good news is that it has, and I haven't had a painful spot since I started using it.

I applied the BP last night VERY lightly, I'm going to do it this way only at night for the first week. In the mornings I am going to apply the antibiotic. As the doc only gave me a 1 month supply it should run out just as the effects of the BP start to kick in so it will work out pretty well.

Anyway, no irritation to report, admittedly I didn't use a huge amount and it is only the first day. Will report back after a few days :)

5 Days in....

Nothing to report up until now, I've been using a small amount every night as before. However, last night I decided to up the amount of BP AND this morning put it on as aposed to only evenings. Well my face has gone very red now and I look a bit daft. Going to have to use a very small amount tonight and skip tomorrow morning to get the redness under control ready for work.

Wish I had some time off work so I could just grin and bear the redness for a good week so that my skin adjusts!

I've had about 3 new spots since starting the regimen, nothing too bad. It's not the spots I care about now, I know the system works as it did in the past. It's just the hell of waiting for my skin to adjust to the BP so that I can start using the full amount and wave goodbye to the acne properly. Then it will be a waiting game for the red marks to fade! :)

Day 6

First experience of dryness. I actually decided to keep doing the morning regime but with a lower dose, so my skin can adjust to the twice daily routine. Had a nice red face today in work which I blamed on sunbeds, lol. However I have now started peeling and my face feels tight. Not good! Gonna nip home at dinner to get some moisturiser. Cannot wait for this inital period to be over!!!!! :)

Day 8

Skin remains red, but tends to look more acceptable a few hours after application. I use less in the morning and more in the evenings now. The flakiness is pretty bad, I have to take moisturiser with me all the time now. If I eat or smile my face falls to bits, haha!

No new cysts recently, basically watching existing acne die off. I have alot of red marks though so this will be a long haul. Roll on the summer is all I can say, I'm sure I'll be clear by then! :D

Day 14

Not going as smoothly as I'd hoped :/

Had a break out on my chin, the main problem area. I'm up to a full pump night and day now. Last night I upped the dose a bit more as i'm striving for 2 full pumps, however, I'm very red today and together with the spots I look pretty unsightly. Plus I'm peeling and feel pretty damn shit today :(

Nevermind, hopefully in 2 weeks time I will have grown accustomed to the BP and all this will be a distant crappy memory :)

Day 15

Well I stopped putting the antibiotic on before the BP last night and today and what do ya know, my skin doesnt peel anywhere near as badly, it also doesn't go as red even with my ever increasing BP dosage. I do find the BP takes even longer to absorb though, but I think alot of that is because my face doesnt peel apart when I put it on anymore. I found it irritated alot before as I was spreading dead skin all over the place before I moisturised.

I now don't have to keep applying moisturiser throughout the day, lets hope it stays this way.

Skin is still looking crap from the last breakout though.

Day 18

Started back in the gym yesterday. My god does sweating aggravate my skin. I'm back to being a stupid shade of red now. I'm racking my brains to back when I was on the regimen before, trying to remember if redness was one of the reasons I gave it up. I'm hoping my skin adjusts to the sweating when I'm using BP. As right now it's a joke, my face is like a tomato.

I really want to be a normal colour!!! Then I'll be happy!!!!!!!

Day 18

Started back in the gym yesterday. My god does sweating aggravate my skin. I'm back to being a stupid shade of red now. I'm racking my brains to back when I was on the regimen before, trying to remember if redness was one of the reasons I gave it up. I'm hoping my skin adjusts to the sweating when I'm using BP. As right now it's a joke, my face is like a tomato.

I really want to be a normal colour!!! Then I'll be happy!!!!!!!

It took my skin a whole month to get used to the BP. I had a horrible breakout on week 1-2 and had like 3-4 huge whiteheads in places I don't remember getting them before. It was so embarrassing... But I stuck it out. I've gotten a few huge nodules since then, but shockingly they die out within a few days, - before the regimen it would have taken months!

So now i only have 1 breakout and I am on week 5 :) People are noticing my skin looks great cause I can see them staring and my boyfriend said I looked "radiant"! *blush*

When you skin gets used to the BP and doesn't feel red and irritated (at least 1-2 months), then I recommend a tiny bit of Dan's AHA.

Day 23

Really glad to hear of your success Sweetsleep :D

I hope I get there soon.

The redness isn't so bad now, I'm using 2 full pumps twice a day, however I'm finding it takes FOREVER to absorb, getting sick of it, I'm not even sure if I need to be using so much as my problem is the T zone (mostly the chin though) and I don't really cover the cheek area much.

I've had a bit of a set back anyway, got a big spot where I never get spots, out of the area where I use BP. And I've got one developing where I normally get them, and its a deep one too, I pray it won't grow into a monster like I know it wants to, which will take months and months to heal, will keep you apprized to the situation there.

I've also noticed I seem to be getting spots on my nose now, which is massively annoying as they are so noticeable.

But anyway, I am keen to get some AHA, will be ordering that this week. I think I am past the worst of the redness now so there is a massive sigh of relief for that. However, I'm getting anxious now whenever I see a new lump appear, I want clear skin now damn it! :D

Day 25

There was me fretting over one spot growing, only to find he brought 2 bloody friends. 2 spots which were fading just popped right back into highly inflamed existence! :wall:

So bloody annoying, left side of my face looks pathetic now and I'm supposed to be out tomorrow for a day of fun. Gonna be great knowing I've got 3 giant pimples throbbing on my chin. So LAME!!!

But anyway, on the plus side, the right side of my face was always the worse side, and I haven't had any active spots there for a few days, so fingers crossed that continues!

Still using 2 full pumps twice a day. Still have the problem of it taking forever to absorb, and I'm often left with white bits where it has dried on my skin but not absorbed.

Day 27

Almost 4 weeks, that's gone fast!

The horrible break out seems to be dying now, though I will have those bumps and red marks for months now! :(

Had a royal piss up yesterday so I am putting BP to the test today, I ALWAYS break out badly after a night on the town. We'll see what happens now!

Skin isn't as red anymore, though I do get quite a bit of flaking lately which is highly annoying! But overall, I think things are moving in the right direction, albiet, slowly.

Day 32

Annoyed now, skin is still f***ing breaking out, and it's just always flakey. I think Dan's moisturiser is a waste of space. I wish I could find the stuff I used to use, was made my Eucerin and I had to get it from the states, can't find it now though :(

I have to take moisturiser with me wherever i bloody go, and have to apply it with dirty fingers which obviously isn't helping things.

Highly annoyed at my lack of progress so far! :evil:

Edited by Colwyn

Day 36

I have now ditched the absolutely useless moisturiser from Dan's regimen and replaced it with Eucerin Replenishing face cream 5% urea. This stuff is infinetely better, however extremely expensive for what you get, going to have to see about getting it in bulk or finding another Eucerin product that is cheaper and still does the job. Seems Eucerin make the best from what I have seen!

Skin is looking better, no hideous break outs at the mo, so all I have is red marks everywhere. I am getting a night time AHA product delivered today so going to start incorporating that into my regimen to try n hasten the fading of the red marks.

Not feeling too bad at the mo, things are looking up! (Hope that doesn't jinx it :P)

Edited by Colwyn

Day 40

Skin is looking a bit better lately. I still break out but they tend to die off more quickly now.

Added in AHA to the regimen now. Going to put it on every couple of nights, it stings like hell!

When I get rid of the red marks from past break outs, the spots I get now won't seem as bad.

Day 42

6 weeks in today. Saturday night I used my AHA and woke up to find I looked worse than I have done since starting the regimen. Today I still look terrible with alot of new spots, 2 of which are big ones in areas I never get spots normally! Needless to say I feel bloody crap because I don't feel like I've made any progess at all in 6 weeks because these new spots are now gonna leave new red marks and undo any progress I might have made!

I won't be using that AHA again, it's a 15% night time AHA cream, I don't know wether it's because it's a cream that caused me to break out!? Ditching it anyway!

Day 44

More break outs!

Looking the worst I have in ages, I'm scrapping the Eucerin moisturiser now. It doesn't say non comedogenic on the box so now I don't trust it, even with good reviews from others. I managed to find one post by someone who swears it broke them out, that's enough reason for me to discontinue usage.

Now I'm back to square one...a face full of spots, a useless moisturiser and no end or hint of improvement :( Really really pissed off with this, absolutely typical it happens now when I have a date this weekend, probably gonna cancel that now, not like it's the first time. God I'm sick of this crap.

Edited by Colwyn

yo colwyn. do you now or have you ever used jojoba oil? i use jojoba oil as my only moisturizer and it works a treat. i know there were some posts about people using a few drops of jojoba oil on the skin right after patting one's face dry, before applying the bp. i was experiencing a lot of redness, flaking, and irritation, but since i started hitting up the jojoba oil first, my skin has completely calmed down. obviously, this might not work for you, but it'd be worth a try. jojoba oil can be had on the cheap, so why not?

also, perhaps your aha is too strong? the stuff sold on this website is 10% and of a thinner consistency than the bp. glycolic acid can be extremely irritating, so maybe the combination of a strong aha cream as well as the bp was just too much for your skin at this particular point in time. or perhaps the cream has something in it that your skin doesn't like?

don't cancel your date! if it's a person worth keeping around, they won't give a damn if you're broken out or not. and don't give up yet!

Hey scummy,

I've got jojoba oil here yeah, I don't find it has much effect getting rid of flakes. With or without it I can't go a full day without applying more moisturiser to hide the shedding skin, the Eucerin was brilliant, and it didn't leave me with a reflective face like Dan's does. But I can't risk my lack of progress being down to the moisturiser.

I've ordered some Cetaphil moisturiser now to give a whirl. Why oh why did they have to stop making the Eucerin dry skin renewal stuff I used to use, it was without a doubt THE best moisturiser going!

Not going to use the AHA again either, not that particular one anyway, I'll order some of Dan's I think. We'll see about the date, it's only because she is absolutely flawless that I'm pissed off with this, her skin is perfect damn it...I don't need perfect skin, I just want a face that doesn't look like a bomb has gone off!

Day 47

Skin seems to be healing the big breakout at the mo. I'm using the Eucerin still, in the hope that the breakout was simply down to the AHA cream I tried. Can't stand Dan's greasy crap moisturiser and the jojoba oil doesn't really help.

So far things are looking up though, felt good this morning.. although I was serving a customer earlier who I've never met, middle aged bloke, first thing he said is 'you look rough'....felt like chinning the cheeky piece of sh*t. I mean who the hell says that! Yeah maybe if you know some one you can get away with it.

He's lucky he didn't see my fist in his face.

But anyway, on the up at the mo.

I feel ya w/ the frustration. I had to skip class b/c of how my how my face looked yesterday... I love the regimen b/c it makes my acne go away really fast, but I hate it, because I am so red, not to mention I have scales.

Anyway, good luck!

Thank you :)

I've actually lost count of how many times I've skipped work because of acne, same with college when I used to go.

Day 51

Had a brief spell of improvement but again I've broken out. Still don't look any better than I did before I was on the regimen. Seriously getting me down...

Don`t feel alone, Colwyn, we`ve all either been there before or are still there. I`m only on week 4 and still have red marks and new breakouts as my skin is getting rid of all the acne that was lying in wait....don`t forget that part, any acne that was hiding deep beneath the skin now has to come out and then the BP does it`s job by keeping more from forming deep down. I work too, with kids, and you haven`t seen anyone stare like a 4 year old :). I also was somewhere yesterday that felt like a sauna so not only did I have a BP burnt face, but the heat aggravated it even more -- the people must have thought I was having a hot flash (and I`m only 28)....

I`m also sticking with it because I was on the regimen in the past and it worked really well - but I also couldn`t exactly say why I stopped and also couldn`t remember how bad it was in the beginning...but hopefully we`ll get there again. Don`t forget to check out the reviews page and Dan`s suggestions for non acne.org products to use on the regimen...very dangerous to start trying things on your own that aren`t recommended by people on here or Dan. I don`t know if you`d bother ordering stuff from Canada or if you have this line in the UK but I use Spectro products -- Spectrogel cleanser for sensitive blemish prone skin, Spectro Hydracare moistuizer for blemish prone skin, and Spectro BP for sensitive skin/Dan's BP, and Dan's AHA. Dan has tested and recommended Spectro cleanser and the moisturizer has been reviewed on here.

Good luck!!