Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nos86

Oily skin after washing your face

It was just a suggestion, chill out. You dont have to go all Einstein.

Like he said it doesn't work for everyone and he was just making an suggestion that MIGHT help out others, He did not GUARANTEE anybody that it would work. I dont see any problems there. He also apologize for something he shouldnt have because he did not do anything wrong, you just came to his post and started attacking him... If you dont like this post then dont read it.

I also agree with nos86. When I dont moisturize, my skin gets more oily the main point of a moisturizer is to keep your skin hydrated, while washing your face strips natural oils and not moisturizing it makes it produce more oil because your skin lacks hydration.

Question, why are you commenting on this post when you said you dont have oily skin? I dont think you can experiment on your skin when your skin in the first place is not oily what so ever. You having dry? normal? or whatever you consider not oily, cannot suddenly turn oily after washing wit several times a day. I think it implies for people that has oily skin, while not moisturizing it etc, leads to more oil production.

Edited by QT3.14

It was just a suggestion, chill out. You dont have to go all Einstein.

Like he said it doesn't work for everyone and he was just making an suggestion that MIGHT help out others, He did not GUARANTEE anybody that it would work. I dont see any problems there. He also apologize for something he shouldnt have because he did not do anything wrong, you just came to his post and started attacking him... If you dont like this post then dont read it.

To whom are you speaking?

I also agree with nos86. When I dont moisturize, my skin gets more oily the main point of a moisturizer is to keep your skin hydrated, while washing your face strips natural oils and not moisturizing it makes it produce more oil because your skin lacks hydration.

Really? Can you find any scientific evidence in support of that claim? :)

Question, why are you commenting on this post when you said you dont have oily skin? I dont think you can experiment on your skin when your skin in the first place is not oily what so ever. You having dry? normal? or whatever you consider not oily, cannot suddenly turn oily after washing wit several times a day. I think it implies for people that has oily skin, while not moisturizing it etc, leads to more oil production.

Oh, so THAT is your excuse: it only works in certain people (people with oily skin)! :lol:

I am acutally referring to you Mister.

"A: Oily skin requires protection and hydration as much as any other skin condition.

If you attempt to “dry out†skin by not moisturizing after cleansing, your sebaceous glands will produce even more oil to compensate. Applying an oil-free moisturizer after cleansing can help control oil production."

Also, i dont think i need scientific evidence for what i stated because I, myself have oily skin and im pretty sure MOST of the people that has oily skin can agree with me. My oily skin is causes by dehydration and hormones, and i beleive and i can definetly know for a fact, if i cleanse my face without moisturizing or if i over cleanse it, my skin would produce 3xs it's oil.

It is not an excuse,I dont think people with dry sking would clearly know how it feels to have oily skin. Oily and dry skin are the complete opposite and agian it wouldnt work experimenting with dry skin because you dont have oily skin. There are many different skin types, I am not speaking for everybody with oily skin, but i beleive MOST people with oily skin will experiencing more oil production if they cleanse without an moisturizer.

Bottom line - I dont THINK you can relate with people with oily skin, unless you have it yourself. Maybe you can try experimenting on someone with oily skin? Just an suggestion.

And i am not claiming the things i say are true, Im just speaking from experiencing.

Edited by QT3.14

if oily skin is caused by dehydration, why does the skin produce something that is somewhat waterproof?

sebum? better yet splash some water over your face when it is oily, see the water slide off

Edited by soosyv

I am acutally referring to you Mister.

You replied to a post I made in this thread almost SEVEN MONTHS ago, and you didn't even bother to quote what I said previously, and you expected me (and other readers) to know what the hell you were talking about, and to whom you were replying?? Have you _never_ posted anything on a discussion forum like this before?? :)

"A: Oily skin requires protection and hydration as much as any other skin condition.

If you attempt to “dry out” skin by not moisturizing after cleansing, your sebaceous glands will produce even more oil to compensate. Applying an oil-free moisturizer after cleansing can help control oil production."

Where did you find THAT little gem of wisdom? On some Web site that sells cleansers and moisturizers? :)

Also, i dont think i need scientific evidence for what i stated because I, myself have oily skin and im pretty sure MOST of the people that has oily skin can agree with me. My oily skin is causes by dehydration and hormones, and i beleive and i can definetly know for a fact, if i cleanse my face without moisturizing or if i over cleanse it, my skin would produce 3xs it's oil.

Uh-huh. Despite the fact that you don't _think_ you need scientific evidence, I highly doubt that your own personal experience (or more precisely, what you only THINK is your own personal experience) is going to trump the experiments and findings of some of the greatest minds in the medical profession. I strongly recommend to you that you do some serious scientific experimentation on your own skin, using Sebutape test-strips (easily available through the mail). If you test your theory about moisturizing and sebum production scientifically, I think you'll be surprised by your own results!

It is not an excuse,I dont think people with dry sking would clearly know how it feels to have oily skin. Oily and dry skin are the complete opposite and agian it wouldnt work experimenting with dry skin because you dont have oily skin. There are many different skin types, I am not speaking for everybody with oily skin, but i beleive MOST people with oily skin will experiencing more oil production if they cleanse without an moisturizer.

Did you even bother to READ those threads I mentioned earlier? The ones showing the scientific evidence for the lack of any connection between skin moisture (and skin washing) and sebum production?

bryan - Yes, I know this thread was seven months ago.. Am I not allowed to post on this post? Is this post closed? I know some people that bumped this post and I find it quite interesting. Yes I did really read what you said. I don’t really think it matters if you quote it or not. You did response so I’m believed you know who I was referring to? I believe you are a senior member as shown and I know you've been here longer than I have, I know you know more than I do... but I’m just saying what I think and what I experienced...because my skin reacted that way, I feel like many others might too. Also this goes for nos86, he says that jojoba oil helps him, and he thinks it might help other too, he's saying that from his own experience. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated but you don’t have to be hostile.

I really think you should try to do an experiment on a person with oily skin, that way you will see different reactions.

I’m not trying to prove anything scientific. Like I said, it’s just from experience. I would test it out but I am not trying to prove anything scientific… again, speaking from experience.

Anyways, I am here to educate myself more about acne and whatnot. Yes I know you’re very wise... and I know I posted first. I posted first because you were attacking a member. We do not need a hostile environment. I'm just here to learn to find out ways to treat my acne.

soosyv - Well in my case, MY skin is caused by dehydration as well as others too(not implying everybody). If I don’t moisturize my skin after cleansing, throughout the day it would produce more sebum than normally. I think water alone wouldn’t hydrate your skin, it would dry it out. Are you trying to use the water to hydrate your skin or to cleanse it?

I think you meant that oily skin 'CAN' be reduced for 'some people'.

Otherwise nobody would be complaining about oily skin. I've tried moisturizing but only goes so far before oil production takes over which is usually after about 6-7h of applying moisturizer.

QT3.14: oh, i too notice the reduction in oil when using moisturizer(regular and oil based). But this doesn't mean the skin is generally dehydrated. The only sure-fire way in ridding of oily skin is to reduce BF % to 10 or less, at least this is what I have found. Or if you can take better control of your insulin(not saying it is insulin causing the troubles but it is most likely something that is competing with the levels of insulin). For example, anaerobic exercise(like jump rope w/ resting intervals) is very good for my oily skin.

On the topic of oily skin, I remember reading about "dust baths" used by animals. Typically oil is used in this operation. Elephants use it to cool off in the summer ;) The reason I bring this up is its relation to humidity. Humidity and dust have an inverse relationship.

To me, sebum seems like an end product of some operation. And seems like it is attracting/repelling something? :confused:

Edited by soosyv

bryan - Yes, I know this thread was seven months ago.. Am I not allowed to post on this post? Is this post closed?

???

Did you not even understand what I posted to you early this morning?? I never said that you're not allowed to post in this thread, or that this thread is closed. I told you in plain English that you can't simply respond to a post from SEVEN MONTHS ago, and expect anybody to understand what you're talking about, or to whom you're replying! For the love of God, use some COMMON SENSE when posting on discussion forums! If you're going to respond to what somebody said a long time ago, QUOTE what he said, so people will know what you're talking about!!

Yes I did really read what you said.

Those doctors did a study which found no connection between skin moisture and sebum production. Do you not believe the findings of those doctors? :hand::wall:

but I’m just saying what I think and what I experienced...because my skin reacted that way, I feel like many others might too.

The problem is with your interpretation of what you think happened to you. It's a little like if you were to go for a walk around your house, and you say: "Oh, those stupid scientists! They think the earth is round, even though my experience clearly tells me it's FLAT!" :dance:

I really think you should try to do an experiment on a person with oily skin, that way you will see different reactions.

No matter WHAT I told you about such an experiment, I don't think you'd believe me. You need to do the experiment yourself. I'll help you with the design of the experiment.

I’m not trying to prove anything scientific. Like I said, it’s just from experience. I would test it out but I am not trying to prove anything scientific… again, speaking from experience.

Again, your "experience" isn't worth anything, until you know how to interpret your results.

Edited by bryan

Hey Bryan what do you do for a living? I am just curious.

Okay does anyone know if Bryan has oily skin?

Hey Bryan do you have oily skin? Also why are you so hostile with everyone on here? Anyone who is posting in this forum probably has a skin problem and would just like to get advice and opinions from other who are experiencing the same thing.

So my question to you is why are you so quick to jump on everyone man. Lighten up, and don't be so condescending to everyone who post something that you disagree with man.

Since you are a senior member can you at least act like one, please.

I don't know who you are but I do notice that you attack a lot of peoples post, let's try to be positive and civil to one another so that we can hopefully find a solution to oily skin and acne once and for all.

I've said this before and I'll say it one more time. I AM NOT HERE TO COMPARE DICK SIZES WITH ANYONE, I think that most if not all of us wish that we didn't have to be on this forum at all. Meaning that if acne and oily skin was not an issue we wouldn't waste our time browsing through this huge forum.

I hope that you don't take this post the wrong way and reply with more defensive comments and post to why you're right and everyone else is wrong. To be honest I don't care unless you have something positive to contribute.

So let's be civil and nice to one another okay. QT3.14 sorry on behalf of Bryan, he probably doesn't mean to be mean or whatever it is that he is doing. It's just a big misunderstanding, I hope. And if you have any questions, suggestions or comments I would love to hear them and I think other people with oily skin would like too as well.

Just as an update for everyone I did notice a reduction in oily skin when I used Jojoba oil or at least my face didn't look as shiny or oily when I did use it, but I don't use it anymore. I am trying a different approach. I've heard some people get good results with Avene moisturizer because it has jojoba extract in it.

Oh and for Bryan in case you're going crazy over there because of the idea of putting oil on your face makes you less oily. I don't know what to tell ya, no I don't have scientific anything other than my personal experience. It is just what I noticed. I think that that's probably what most people who conduct research do is record their results and share and compare them with others to see whats going on.

Okay good luck people and please post your comments and post your experience with what works, doesn't work and what you think because with all of us together I think we can figure something out. Much love to everyone.... God bless.

Edited by nos86

Hey Bryan what do you do for a living? I am just curious.

Okay does anyone know if Bryan has oily skin?

Hey Bryan do you have oily skin?

I used to service computer peripherals for a living. My skin is probably pretty average in its oiliness.

Also why are you so hostile with everyone on here? Anyone who is posting in this forum probably has a skin problem and would just like to get advice and opinions from other who are experiencing the same thing.

So my question to you is why are you so quick to jump on everyone man. Lighten up, and don't be so condescending to everyone who post something that you disagree with man.

I am only "hostile" (a bit of an exaggeration) to people who don't understand the basics of sebaceous gland physiolgy, and keep spreading these myths about how washing the skin supposedly stimulates it to produce more sebum, how a lack of hydration in the skin supposedly does the same thing, etc. I'm here to let everybody know what doctors and scientists believe about those specific issues. Better get used to it.

The experiment: 30-45minutes of continuous sunlight after lunch(~12:30pm). I don't plan on wearing any makeup/sunscreen/moisturizer/hat.

Edited by soosyv

Um washing of the skin can cause sebum production to increase if you are stripping the skin of its oils or drying it out by washing it too much. I have had this happen to myself and my dermatologist told me that the cause is over washing as it strips the skin of its oils so the glands work to replace those oils. My skin is really oily and after going on dan's regimen my skin was super dry so I came off the regimen and my oily-ness went through the roof. Jojoba oil also does trick the sebaceous glands into believing there is enough moisture on your skin so they do not produce oil. It worked for me for a while but then I broke out crazy with a ton of small comadone's all over my face so i stopped using it. Jojoba oil works for some and doesn't work for some.

Also Bryan the thread is two pages long so i think unless people are mentally handicapped or don't know how to read they can navigate back to page one and read what you said like I did. And I have purchased the sebaceous strips and tested this on myself which I have oily skin as stated above and my oil production increased. Yours might not have or the faces of the 1000's of scientific minds that you speak so highly of out there didn't but mine did.

Edited by Dubbs

Um washing of the skin can cause sebum production to increase if you are stripping the skin of its oils or drying it out by washing it too much. I have had this happen to myself and my dermatologist told me that the cause is over washing as it strips the skin of its oils so the glands work to replace those oils.

Oh dear...more silly superstition from the readers, and your dermatologist. Find a new one. The one you have now is 53 years out of date.

Jojoba oil also does trick the sebaceous glands into believing there is enough moisture on your skin so they do not produce oil.

PHOOEY.

Also Bryan the thread is two pages long so i think unless people are mentally handicapped or don't know how to read they can navigate back to page one and read what you said like I did. And I have purchased the sebaceous strips and tested this on myself which I have oily skin as stated above and my oil production increased. Yours might not have or the faces of the 1000's of scientific minds that you speak so highly of out there didn't but mine did.

I think you clearly must have made a mistake in the way you supposedly performed your test. Describe to me exactly what you did and how you did it, in detail, so I can pass on your methodolgy and the legitimacy of your "test".

Um washing of the skin can cause sebum production to increase if you are stripping the skin of its oils or drying it out by washing it too much. I have had this happen to myself and my dermatologist told me that the cause is over washing as it strips the skin of its oils so the glands work to replace those oils.

Oh dear...more silly superstition from the readers, and your dermatologist. Find a new one. The one you have now is 53 years out of date.

Jojoba oil also does trick the sebaceous glands into believing there is enough moisture on your skin so they do not produce oil.

PHOOEY.

I think you clearly must have made a mistake in the way you supposedly performed your test. Describe to me exactly what you did and how you did it, in detail, so I can pass on your methodolgy and the legitimacy of your "test".

Instead of being a total asshole, why not try and be helpful and actually tell us why you think it's "superstition". And stop acting like you're more intellectual then everyone else, cause I doubt you are.

I just want to say this past summer, after being frustrated by oily skin, began to wash my face every three hours...HUGE MISTAKE within an hour my face would rage with oil. I'm in college now and what I do now is shower in the morning with a mild wash, Cetaphil, put a little amount on, and BARELY touch my skin to wash it off. About mid-day I shower, without touching my face. Just let the water run on it for a little. Then i fine till bed time, where I do the same routine as the morning. My skin has never looked better and my self esteem is WAY up. I've been so happy with my routine I wanted to share it with anyone who'd listen.

Best of Luck!!!! Let me know if it works! rolleyes.gif

I just want to say this past summer, after being frustrated by oily skin, began to wash my face every three hours...HUGE MISTAKE within an hour my face would rage with oil.

Washing your face doesn't cause it to "rage with oil", any more than washing your car or apartment causes them to "rage with dirt"! rolleyes.gif

I 've been on accutane twice. the second time after I got off my skin's oilyness returned. Tried all kinds of stuff to help with the oilyness but nothing really helped.

Doctor said that oily skin is hard to combat. So where does that leave me. SOL

Anyways I tried Jojoba oil on my face after washing morning and night. Although it is not comepletely cured I would say the oilyness is reduced by 75-85 percent. Give it a shot, do some research on it.

Good luck fellow friends.

Jojoba oil has many benefits, and is best used for the hair and skin.Jojoba oil the controls greasy texture of the skin.

05Escorts <a href="http://www.nyasianescortservice.com">new york asian escorts</a> offering outcall companionship. Our <a href="http://www.nyasianescortservice.com">new york escorts</a> gorgeous Escorts <a href="http://www.nyasianescortservice.com">ny escorts</a> provide Professional services throughout New York and NJ. See the best that The NY has to offer: find the sexiest <a href="http://www.nyasianescortservice.com">nyc escorts</a> New York escorts in NYC all in one place at New York Exotic Asians.

Our Guarantee: At New York Exotic Asians, our goal is to provide a warm and pleasurable experience you won't soon forget. We assure absolute confidentiality at all times, and hope you find each encounter with our New York Asian escorts is a satisfying one.

s desc: New York Escorts And NYC Asian Escorts Service, is New York escorts agency providing adult escort service by beautiful asian escorts in NYC & New York. Tel: 866-687-1710 729 broadway, New York, NY 10003

Edited by julin

This is my first post and I must say I am very curious about "sebaceous gland physiology" and oil production. bryan states that the sebaceous glands are "under androgenic control" which means it is only responsive to hormones, which makes sense seeing how the skin has absolutely no "oil sensors" shooting signals to the sebaceous gland screaming "WE NEED MORE OIL". There would be no way for the skin to know it needed to produce more oil, yes? Unless the hormones told the sebaceous glands to. However, it does seem odd to me that keeping the skin moisturized and using mild cleansers seems to reduce oiliness. Now why is that? Is it my just imagination showing me what I want to see or does anyone have any explanation for the (possible) extra oiliness from treating our skin so harshly? The only possibility i can come up with from basic logical reasoning is that the cleansers have washed away the debris from the pore, leaving it wide open allowing the sebum to rise up the hair follicle at a much easier faster rate, as opposed to congested skin.

Now here is my disclaimer: I am an art student who knows nothing about dermatology except what I read on the internet and in dermatology journals. So please if you find my post to be unbelievable and with out logic, then tell me but please do not harass me. I find the skin to be a fascinating thing and any information you can give to me is greatly appreciated.

This is my first post and I must say I am very curious about "sebaceous gland physiology" and oil production. bryan states that the sebaceous glands are "under androgenic control" which means it is only responsive to hormones, which makes sense seeing how the skin has absolutely no "oil sensors" shooting signals to the sebaceous gland screaming "WE NEED MORE OIL". There would be no way for the skin to know it needed to produce more oil, yes? Unless the hormones told the sebaceous glands to. However, it does seem odd to me that keeping the skin moisturized and using mild cleansers seems to reduce oiliness. Now why is that? Is it my just imagination showing me what I want to see or does anyone have any explanation for the (possible) extra oiliness from treating our skin so harshly? The only possibility i can come up with from basic logical reasoning is that the cleansers have washed away the debris from the pore, leaving it wide open allowing the sebum to rise up the hair follicle at a much easier faster rate, as opposed to congested skin.

Now here is my disclaimer: I am an art student who knows nothing about dermatology except what I read on the internet and in dermatology journals. So please if you find my post to be unbelievable and with out logic, then tell me but please do not harass me. I find the skin to be a fascinating thing and any information you can give to me is greatly appreciated.

I used to think that washing my face often made it oilier, but I think I've chalked it up to that when you're washing your face a lot you're looking at your face more and noticing the level of oiliness.

I did an experiment where I went from washing once a day to washing twice a day to see what happened. I paid extra attention to what my skin did. My skin did not get oilier. It got drier and very irritated and chapped. I'm pretty sure that oiliness level is almost entirely controlled by internal hormones. This is why acne patients on anti-androgens dry out. If you're producing buckeloads of oil because of your hormones, they're just isn't a way for you to wash your face often enough to feel "dry".

Edited by Green Gables

This is my first post and I must say I am very curious about "sebaceous gland physiology" and oil production. bryan states that the sebaceous glands are "under androgenic control" which means it is only responsive to hormones, which makes sense seeing how the skin has absolutely no "oil sensors" shooting signals to the sebaceous gland screaming "WE NEED MORE OIL". There would be no way for the skin to know it needed to produce more oil, yes? Unless the hormones told the sebaceous glands to. However, it does seem odd to me that keeping the skin moisturized and using mild cleansers seems to reduce oiliness. Now why is that?

I'm not sure what effect (if any) keeping the skin moisturized has on oiliness, but washing the skin regularly simply washes-away the oil. However, it's safe to say that washing doesn't affect the rate at which oil is formed in the sebaceous glands; it just washes it away before it can accumulate on the surface.

I used to think that washing my face often made it oilier, but I think I've chalked it up to that when you're washing your face a lot you're looking at your face more and noticing the level of oiliness.

I did an experiment where I went from washing once a day to washing twice a day to see what happened. I paid extra attention to what my skin did. My skin did not get oilier. It got drier and very irritated and chapped. I'm pretty sure that oiliness level is almost entirely controlled by internal hormones. This is why acne patients on anti-androgens dry out. If you're producing buckeloads of oil because of your hormones, they're just isn't a way for you to wash your face often enough to feel "dry".

Good post! A few years ago when I did the test of my own skin by washing several times a day with Ivory soap and alcohol, it got drier and drier and drier; I verified the extreme dryness (lack of oil) by using Sebutape Skin Indicators. In other words, washing doesn't make you oilier, it makes you drier!!