Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iceopal

taking natural vitamin A instead of Accutane..how much A should I take?

I cant afford accutane so I'm going to try out taking natural vitamin A in high doses from carotene source. anyone know what the max. amount of I.U. I can take a day is? (please no comments about how this would be unwise unsupervised by a doctor. in any case taking vitamin a esp. natural vitamin a will be less toxic than taking synthetic vitamin a ) please some advice on how to this. thanks!

I dont think that vitamin A from a carotene source would be sufficient. take it in the form of fish liver oil. as for the dose i would reccomend 25-40,000 IU for maybe a month or two depending on the dosage and severity of your acne. then decrease it to 5-10,000 IU for a maintanance dose. oh and when you start off do it gradually. dont just pop in 40,000 IU on the first day, you may get a really bad reaction from your body as its not used to these high amounts. start off with 10,000 IU and work your way up. Im on a vitamin A regimen for about a month now and its the best thing ive tried so far. its working pretty well...

I don't think taking it in carotene source would work as the body transforms carotene into Vitamin A - whatever it doesn't need to then uses as an antioxidant.

So from that I doubt you'd get the extra vitamin a that you want.

From what I've read on here 9-10,000IU of Vitamin A seems to be the upper safe limit, with people taking more than that reporting side effects ranging from migraines to a change in skin colour.

natural vitamin A in high doses from carotene source. anyone know what the max. amount of I.U. I can take a day is?

Tough question.

• a) nobody knows
  • b) you can probably get away with more if you don't drink alcohol.
  • c) in the long term, the real issue is the ongoing mystery of why beta-carotene makes smokers more likely to get cancer. My bet is it's because beta carotene increases the sequestration of non-heme iron, which is arguably less harmful in people who are still growing than in adults who regularly breathe carcinogens. However, it can't be ruled out that large dose beta carotene simply degrades into chemicals that can stimulate cancer.

Unlikely you'll take enough beta carotene in four weeks to hurt yourself (though you might be able to get orange skin -- hopefully you are taller than an Oompa-Loompa!), and that should be enough time to prove to yourself it's not a particularly effective treatment for acne (although vastly safer for your liver than the retinol form of Vitamin A many are taking -- I hope they have some really good friends with matching donor livers when they hit 50!).

thanks guys! um yeah i don't want to look like an oompa loompa! lol. so i think i will go with fish liver oil and start out at like 10,000 IU. then work up to 40,000 then down again once my skin is clear! *fingers crossed*!

Month 1: 100,000 iu's a day plus 1 gram of riboflavin

Month 2: 200,000 iu's a day plus 2 grams of riboflavin

Month 3: 300,000 iu's a day plus 3 grams of riboflavin

Month 4: 400,000 iu's a day plus 4 grams of riboflavin

Month 5: 500,000 iu's a day plus 5 grams of riboflavin

Make sure you spread the Vitamin A and riboflavin throughout the day through 4-6 fatty meals. Riboflavin is needed to aid in the absorption of Vitamin A.

Haha riboflavin that is not a good idea at all. Are you trying to kill someone? :eh:

Please people, understand that simply taking a supplement is probably not not going to get you clear skin and if it does, i dont wont to be there in the end. Vitamin a at those doses are extremely dangerous. All you have to do is look at the thread made by sowet who experienced severe side effects at 50-100 thousand IU. Taking beta carotene at those doses is a waste as your body will not use that much and just rid the excess.

Edited by AussieSmile

Make sure you spread the Vitamin A and riboflavin throughout the day through 4-6 fatty meals. Riboflavin is needed to aid in the absorption of Vitamin A.

that is toxic. I wouldn't go that high unless you want to risk permanently damaging your body. At those doses, you would be safer off with Accutane. At least you will have medical supervision.

that is toxic. I wouldn't go that high unless you want to risk permanently damaging your body. At those doses, you would be safer off with Accutane. At least you will have medical supervision.

Wow, that is pretty ridiculous. You shouldn't need more than 10,000 IU daily. Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin and therefore it can accumulate in the body. Look at this guy's recent thread. He was taking 50,000 IU and found that it was way too much. He said his skin was getting really dry and turning slightly orange. But really, you can decide if that's what you want.

Edited by anonymou5

Really really stupid advice, what the hell...someone needs to do a little research if trying megadoses or better yet consult a doctor if trying uberdoses. Same goes for that user sowet in the link posted. If one were to do even a basic google or wiki search, just a little, they'd see that the RDA upper limit for Vitamin A is 10,000 IU for male adults over 19 (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminA/).

They also might find that:

"Generally, signs of toxicity are associated with long-term consumption of vitamin A in excess of ten times the RDA (8,000 to 10,000 mcg/day or 25,000 to 33,000 IU/day)". (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminA/)

Now all of these are backed up by scientific studies in a monitored and controlled environment. Normally, common sense would kick in and the person would read and understand at 33,000 IU signs of toxicity appear. Logically, an amount greater than that number would be dangerous. Assuming the person understands the concept of numbers, 500,000 IU > 33,000 IU.

Even if it were the "impossible to overdose" (this stupid phrase *sigh*) beta-carotene, only so much beta-carotene could be converted by the body, also wasting pills and money. The rest would be deposited in the outermost layer of the epidermis, thus giving you oompa-loompa attributes.

If the person did additional research, they'd find that:

"There is some evidence that beta-carotene in combination with selenium, vitamin C, and vitamin E might lower high-density lipoprotein 2 (HDL2) cholesterol levels. HDL levels are protective so this is considered to be a negative effect. Dizziness, reversible yellowing of palms, hands, or soles of feet and to a lesser extent the face (called carotenoderma) can occur with high doses of beta-carotene. Loose stools, diarrhea, unusual bleeding or bruising, and joint pain have been reported."

(http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-betacarotene.html#Safety)

It's completely stupid. :wall:

Edited by KCE

oh my gosh please do not give anyone this advice! even I know enough to know that 500,000 I.U. will seriously damage your body. after doing some research Ive realized the max amount to take is 40,000 IU

Umm...actually I think it's closer to 10,000 IU a day maximum. And even that, for some people, can cause problems.

oh my gosh please do not give anyone this advice! there may be someone dumb enough to take those high amounts. even I know enough to know that 500,000 I.U. will seriously damage your body possibly kill you. after doing some research Ive realized the max amount to take is 40,000 IU daily