Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
midnightlove

Starting accutane in Feb!

So after benzaclin, trentinoin, tazorac and differin...I am finally going on accutane! My moderate-mild acne was starting to leave mini scars and leaving red marks so THANK GOD my derm decided to let me on Accutane. I think part of the reason The Derm let me on it was because her daughter was put on it and it helped her, so she thinks pretty highly of it. I have to get all the mandatory pregnancy tests and everything before I can start it, but I'm really excited! I hope this will work for me.

Any personal experiences?

If I get requests, I will post pictures (:

Edited by midnightlove

congrats! i hope it works out well for you!

i am currently on my 2nd round of accutane. i was on it about 3 years back. it worked great! but within the last year and a half my skin started breaking out again. not nearly as bad as before, it just was very persistent and wouldnt wanna go away. not noticeable with makeup on so i wasnt in a hurry to get back on the accutane but my derm eventually convinced me to do it.

the blood tests are annoying. and so are the dry lips. i think ive gone through like 6 things of carmex so far lol.

personally i never noticed any really bad side effects. my lips never got extremely dry like cracking and such, and my skin wasnt severly dry either. i take a pretty high dose for my weight. when i started i weighed about 105 and take 80mg a day.

something i noticed both times i have been on accutane is that i eat a lot more. i actually gained about 8 pounds the first time and i think 5 pounds this time. im on my last month right now.

also, for me my skin didnt start really clearing up till the very end. even a month after i took my last pill my skin continued getting better. so dont get worried if you dont see results right away.

as far as muscle pain, mine only hurt when i sit for a while and then when i go to get up i feel it a bit, but nothing too bad. i dont exercise as much as before accutane, so im not sure how that would affect muscle/joint pain.

the first two weeks i was on accutane this time around i was really tired within like 30 mins of taking the pill and i would get headaches and my chest muscles really hurt. i also had dry eyes, but those side effects pretty much disappeared within the first 2 weeks.

everyone is different though!

overall, i have had a good experience both times on the medication. i think i was lucky not to have any severe unbearable side effects. i hope you get lucky too!

keep us updated as soon as you start! & good luck!

hey

yeah so im on my fourth month currently.

i hate the blood tests and the prego tests but whatever i guess, makes me feel good that they check your blood to make sure things are going okay.

the first two months went well with me, my black heads and little whiteheads are pretty much gone already.

(im on 40mg once a day)

the third month, i started getting HUGE cysts. my derm injected and drained them.

now, i still have those cysts... plus more..

(i've been upped to 40mg once a day, twice on sat and sundays)

i went in today to get more injections

next week im going up to 80mg a day.

as for side effects.

i have the same thing that other person posted with getting tired after taking it. idk if thats just a temporary thing. i dont notice it much but lately ive been taking it before bed. i have the dry lips of course... not too bad of dry skin! i live in wisconsin so im pretty used to dry skin and its decent! ummmm as for the vision problems, my eyes go blurry once in awhlie. i get MAJOR mood swings and cry much easier. i do get depression, but not the suicidal stuff. i also get major back pain... im a dancer so its not fun. im lately regretting going on it. i barely had bad skin... i just had major breakouts around stressful times or my period. and now i have the worst acne of my life. if your skin isn't that bad, seriously dont do it. its not worth it. i have scars on my face its embarrassing.

idk if my photo attached or not, but its a picture of me about a month and a half ago, i have make up on and you can sitll see one of my big scars... i got that from accutane :/ i currently now have five of those... one on one cheek, two on the other, two on my forhead.

all i say is good luck i hope it works better for you than it did me (=

post-119843-1262739631_thumb.jpg

post-119843-1262739631_thumb.jpg

Edited by yourbabygoodbye

congrats! i hope it works out well for you!

i am currently on my 2nd round of accutane. i was on it about 3 years back. it worked great! but within the last year and a half my skin started breaking out again. not nearly as bad as before, it just was very persistent and wouldnt wanna go away. not noticeable with makeup on so i wasnt in a hurry to get back on the accutane but my derm eventually convinced me to do it.

the blood tests are annoying. and so are the dry lips. i think ive gone through like 6 things of carmex so far lol.

personally i never noticed any really bad side effects. my lips never got extremely dry like cracking and such, and my skin wasnt severly dry either. i take a pretty high dose for my weight. when i started i weighed about 105 and take 80mg a day.

something i noticed both times i have been on accutane is that i eat a lot more. i actually gained about 8 pounds the first time and i think 5 pounds this time. im on my last month right now.

also, for me my skin didnt start really clearing up till the very end. even a month after i took my last pill my skin continued getting better. so dont get worried if you dont see results right away.

as far as muscle pain, mine only hurt when i sit for a while and then when i go to get up i feel it a bit, but nothing too bad. i dont exercise as much as before accutane, so im not sure how that would affect muscle/joint pain.

the first two weeks i was on accutane this time around i was really tired within like 30 mins of taking the pill and i would get headaches and my chest muscles really hurt. i also had dry eyes, but those side effects pretty much disappeared within the first 2 weeks.

everyone is different though!

overall, i have had a good experience both times on the medication. i think i was lucky not to have any severe unbearable side effects. i hope you get lucky too!

keep us updated as soon as you start! & good luck!

wow seriously, thanks for sharing this :) I wasnt aware that accutane increases appetite, oh no thats going to suck. But Im like the same as you. My acne is noticeable, but with makeup, its a little less noticeable.

I'm going on Accutane in Feb too! :) Good luck with everything. :)

aww sweet! Are you going to keep a blog?

hey

i hate the blood tests and the prego tests but whatever i guess, makes me feel good that they check your blood to make sure things are going okay.

the first two months went well with me, my black heads and little whiteheads are pretty much gone already.

(im on 40mg once a day)

the third month, i started getting HUGE cysts. my derm injected and drained them.

as for side effects.

i have the same thing that other person posted with getting tired after taking it. idk if thats just a temporary thing. i dont notice it much but lately ive been taking it before bed. i have the dry lips of course... not too bad of dry skin! i live in wisconsin so im pretty used to dry skin and its decent! ummmm as for the vision problems, my eyes go blurry once in awhlie. i get MAJOR mood swings and cry much easier. i do get depression, but not the suicidal stuff. i also get major back pain... im a dancer so its not fun. im lately regretting going on it. i barely had bad skin... i just had major breakouts around stressful times or my period. and now i have the worst acne of my life. if your skin isn't that bad, seriously dont do it. its not worth it. i have scars on my face its embarrassing.

idk if my photo attached or not, but its a picture of me about a month and a half ago, i have make up on and you can sitll see one of my big scars... i got that from accutane :/ i currently now have five of those... one on one cheek, two on the other, two on my forhead.

oh my gosh, really? accutane made it worse? btw, that picture was really close up and I think your skin looks good! Youre lucky for that. I wouldnt dare have a camera that close and that high-def. How did accutane cause the scar though? Did you pick at it at all? and did you have cysts previous to accutane?

hey

(im on 40mg once a day)

as for side effects.

oh my gosh, really? accutane made it worse? btw, that picture was really close up and I think your skin looks good! Youre lucky for that. I wouldnt dare have a camera that close and that high-def. How did accutane cause the scar though? Did you pick at it at all? and did you have cysts previous to accutane?

hey

i cake on makeup lol specially with that picture... however that was just at the begginning. now my face is terrible! its like five cysts now. (i hate when ppl ask.. oh what happend to your face... my aunt did it today lol i want a shirt that says i have severe acne, dont ask lol) anyways yeah the cysts didnt start until after i started the accutane. i did have one small one before but it was under control. after accutane i started going to the derm and what scarred it so bad i think is the steroid shots and him draining them. gross but hed numb it and scrape off the dead dry skin and then do the typical squeeze out of it lol gross but it made them go down so much but still thats not cool with the scarring. i asked what to do about the scars and he said after i get off accutane hes going to worry about it so im guessing ill do whatever it takes. and for picking at it... not really. i one time scratched it on accident and it started to drain again so i dont know. its weird.

however... i went in actually a week ago now and had seriously ten injections. one on my forhead disappeared! and one other one on my forehead is smaller. the ones on my cheeks feel smaller. and another one on my cheek drained all out so its gone! i feel another one coming in though. its like they go away but then come back and bring friends what is this? lol

do some ppl take accutane and it all just disappears for good? or is there no such thing?

hey

(im on 40mg once a day)

as for side effects.

hey

i cake on makeup lol specially with that picture... however that was just at the begginning. now my face is terrible! its like five cysts now. (i hate when ppl ask.. oh what happend to your face... my aunt did it today lol i want a shirt that says i have severe acne, dont ask lol) anyways yeah the cysts didnt start until after i started the accutane. i did have one small one before but it was under control. after accutane i started going to the derm and what scarred it so bad i think is the steroid shots and him draining them. gross but hed numb it and scrape off the dead dry skin and then do the typical squeeze out of it lol gross but it made them go down so much but still thats not cool with the scarring. i asked what to do about the scars and he said after i get off accutane hes going to worry about it so im guessing ill do whatever it takes. and for picking at it... not really. i one time scratched it on accident and it started to drain again so i dont know. its weird.

however... i went in actually a week ago now and had seriously ten injections. one on my forhead disappeared! and one other one on my forehead is smaller. the ones on my cheeks feel smaller. and another one on my cheek drained all out so its gone! i feel another one coming in though. its like they go away but then come back and bring friends what is this? lol

do some ppl take accutane and it all just disappears for good? or is there no such thing?

ohhh I see. I know what you mean! I hate when people stare at acne too :( I think they should for sure have shirts like that, I would buy one. haha. And Oh jeez, I would never let a derm drain my pimples, that would be frightening :o If you left the cysts alone do you think they would have scarred still or no?

And yes, I FOR SURE know what you mean about one pimple going away then 10 more showing up; it irritates me so much. It's lifes way of making things more difficult it seems :/

hey

(im on 40mg once a day)

as for side effects.

hey

I'm nearing the end of my accutane course (hopefully..) and I have cleared up. While I can't say whether or not my acne has disappeared for good my brother also took accutane and he, to my knowledge, has not had any acne since the end of his course 10 years ago. I think it is safe to say some people's acne goes away for good.