Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashbash11285

How to control post-birth control pill acne

I know several people have posted similar questions, but I've been taking Loestrin 24 Fe for about a year, purely for contraception. However, it had the pleasant side effect of CLEARING my acne completely!! I've been very happy in that respect, since I had moderate acne before going on it (used to take Doxycycline for my acne). However, it's causing me to be depressed and my migraines are worse on the Pill, so I want to go off it soon. However, I've heard horror stories about acne getting much worse when going off the Pill, and I am scared about this. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening, or do you just have to wait until your hormones regulate themselves again? This is the main reason why I am worried about going off of it.. But, I want to be normal and happy again, and I don't want to have to take prescription migraine meds! Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd recommend trying another pill. I waited over a year for my hormones to 'regulate' off the pill and it never happened. Going on another pill was the only thing that helped for me (sorry). I get severe migraines (just stopped Topamax which broke me out like CRAZY) and found that Yasmin didn't make them worse but that's just me.

So, this means that those of us with acne that was helped by the birth control pill have to stay on them forever?? I hate taking synthetic hormones, personally. I always feel worse on them than when I am off.. However, I've struggled with acne since I was 21 (I am 25 now) and I want my skin to be clear! There has to be a way to be off the Pill and still have clear skin.

So, this means that those of us with acne that was helped by the birth control pill have to stay on them forever?? I hate taking synthetic hormones, personally. I always feel worse on them than when I am off.. However, I've struggled with acne since I was 21 (I am 25 now) and I want my skin to be clear! There has to be a way to be off the Pill and still have clear skin.

Hi,

I too am going through a similar nightmare and have done a lot of research and here is a quick summary:

If your acne is hormonal and you don't want to treat it with BCP, then your best option is probably Spironolactone. The reason that some women report that Yasmin has a benefit on their skin is because it contains drospironone (which has spiro in it). If you check out the reviews, spiro is quite highly rated. It cannot be used during pregnancy and breast feeding though because it is an androgen blocker (male hormones responsible for hormonal acne in women) it can feminise the foetus.

My problem is that I am convinced that my acne will come back when I stop Yasmin, but I have to stop it because I want to try to get pregnant. I made an appointment with the doctor and she was sympathetic and said that birth control isn't necessarily the best way to treat acne and if you look at the reviews on this website, they aren't as highly rated as some of the topicals. She said that if my acne was hormonal, then Skinoren (Azelex in the US) is good because it is an anti-androgen. It is safe to use during pregnancy and it's as highly rated on this website as spiro!

If you do get a flare up, post coming off BCP, this should help to control it well. Make sure that you use Dan's regimen as well. Being in the UK, I can't get his products so I use: Jan Marini 2.5% BP wash, Clarins toner (oil free), Panoxyl 10% BP and loads of jojoba oil. Although haven't really needed this stuff since being on Yasmin.

I hope this helps.

Little Sarah :)