Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Missfig59

mercyunbound: Acne Murderer Extraordinaire

Hey everyone! After a really long time of waiting, I’ve finally managed to get myself on the glorious nuclear weapon, Accutane! (Claravis, actually.) I’m an 18 year old female, 5’9†and weigh 110lbs. My derm is going to start me for the first month with 40mg once a day and I will be on a 5 month course.

I’ll start off by saying that I’ve been suffering from acne for the past few years. I’ve always had a few zits here and there but it was nothing much. About two years ago the small zits turned into a few cysts every once in a while. I was on Proactiv for most of my younger teenage years and after a while it just didn’t seem to work. Instead tossing away money on over the counter products, I went to the dermatologist. She put me on every antibiotic and topical medication that you can imagine. Nothing seemed to work. I’ve tried every homemade remedy and other products on the market with no true success. Mostly I started to believe that my acne was genetic and hormonal. The gene pool didn’t necessarily bless me with great skin. Both of my parents had fairly bad acne as kids. Yaaay me!

About…oh 4 or 5 months ago my dermatologist thought I should try a birth control pill to see if it would help. Sooo I went on the “fabulous†Yaz. At first, my skin started to really clear up. Between my visits with an esthetician and the pill, my skin seemed to be decent! Oh man what a trick that was! After a little while my skin became EXTREMELY irritated and I truly believe this was because of Yaz. What a scam!

So I’ve recently switched to the BCP Loestrin 24fe and my skin isn’t as annoyed. The damage is still done though and I have red marks all over from past breakouts. I can’t wait until they fade! My dermatologist and I both agreed that I should also start Accutane so my skin can stop being a never-ending pimple fountain of doom. I was pretty psyched! I waited roughly two months because of the pregnancy tests that were needed and….oh wait! It wasn’t that easy! Thanks to my luck, the dermatologist messed up my paperwork and I needed to take ANOTHER blood test and wait ANOTHER month. (Seriously, anyone who is considered Accutane, PLEASE annoy the hell out of your dermatologists and make sure that all of the paperwork is done correctly.)

After 3 months of waiting, on December 31, I at last got my prescription but…oh god it was New Years Eve! My derm couldn’t register me until 5pm. After that, I had to call iPledge and answer a bunch of questions to even activate my prescription. I was running around like crazy hoping that my pharmacy wouldn’t be closed. By the time I got to the pharmacy, they didn’t have the drug in stock. Luckily, the girl was nice enough to call another pharmacy and they happened to have exactly what I needed. PHEW! (I can’t believe what a hassle Accutane is! Jeeeez!)

So! Here we go! I took my first pill on January 1st, 2010. So, at the moment. I’m on day 3. I don’t really have any side effects right now and I hope it stays that way haha. There really hasn’t been a change in my acne yet either. We’ll see what happens!

I’ve included some photos to show you all the change in my skin over the past few months. It went from lovely to ugly! Woohoo!

(Just copy and paste the link. Anyone know how to make photos work on here?)

March 2009 (with makeup): "Heeey! Pretty nice skin!"

http://img686.imageshack.us/i/march09.png/

June 2009 (no makeup): "W-what...are those red things?"

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/june09.png/

August 2009 (no makeup): "Hey! It's clearing up again!"

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/august09.png/

December 31st 2009 (pre-tane, no makeup): "OHGOD! Did someone take a flamethrower to my face in my sleep?!?"

http://img686.imageshack.us/i/preaccutanedec31.png/

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/pretanedec31.png/

How embarrassing, eh?

With makeup on...I can cover the redmarks up pretty well at least.

December 2009 (with makeup):

http://img163.imageshack.us/i/pretanemakeup.png/

For the record, my forehead is kinda the same...not that bad.

Alright! That's all for now guys! I'll update this every few days or so! With photos too! :)

I'll also maybe make a post just to show you guys all the crap I've been on for the past few years. My bathroom is STUFFED with products! Hahaha.

Edited by mercyunbound

"never-ending pimple fountain of doom"... hahaha. You're pretty funny.

I just started a couple of days before you and am also on 40mg of Claravis. I think I would have burnt my dermatologist's office down had he messed up and made me wait another month, ohh God. Just reading that sentence infuriated me. You are obviously a more patient woman than I.

Anyway, hope everything goes well for you! I'll keep reading. :)

Day 4

Honestly, no real difference at all. My skin isn't drying out and my zits haven't died yet. Oh well! I still need to give this thing some time! :) I think that I might be breaking out a tiiiiiny bit with whiteheads but it's nothing huge. I'm also thinking that my eyes might be a little dry...but that could be my paranoid imagination.

Also! A few questions for you guys!

-What is your favorite kind of moisturizer to use on Accutane? I've been trying out the Aveeno Ultra Calming one but I'm still not sure if I like it.

-Do you exfoliate at all? I know that skin is more sensitive on 'tane so I'm trying to watch out. I have a little dry skin from the winter weather and I'm just dying to scrub it off hahaha.

Rachiepie:

Haha thanks! At times it seems like humor is the only way to get over situations like acne. :P

It was also VERY frustrating when my derm made me wait another month. I think I left the office in tears!

Day 4

Honestly, no real difference at all. My skin isn't drying out and my zits haven't died yet. Oh well! I still need to give this thing some time! :) I think that I might be breaking out a tiiiiiny bit with whiteheads but it's nothing huge. I'm also thinking that my eyes might be a little dry...but that could be my paranoid imagination.

Also! A few questions for you guys!

-What is your favorite kind of moisturizer to use on Accutane? I've been trying out the Aveeno Ultra Calming one but I'm still not sure if I like it.

-Do you exfoliate at all? I know that skin is more sensitive on 'tane so I'm trying to watch out. I have a little dry skin from the winter weather and I'm just dying to scrub it off hahaha.

Rachiepie:

Haha thanks! At times it seems like humor is the only way to get over situations like acne. :P

It was also VERY frustrating when my derm made me wait another month. I think I left the office in tears!

Hi! I started accutane (sotret 60mg) the same day as you 1/1/10! The hoops we have to jump through to get these pills is frustrating and kind of insane. Even my dermatologist was telling me that he can't stand Ipledge as waiting only makes the patient suffer for longer, and thinks its easier to get narcotics than accutane! haha.

I'm sure we'll both be seeing progress before we know it! :)

Edited by NYgirl83

I just wanted to tell you good luck. Even though you can't see your whole face in your pics I can tell you're really pretty!

NYgirl83: Yeah I decided that I mine as well start the new year off with a real bang haha. The iPledge really is NUTS. It's even more annoying to think that guys can get Accutane in roughly a week and we have to wait FOREVER.

tv_viewer: Haha thanks! Looking at your pictures, so are you! :)

Good luck, im sure accutane will work a treat for you.

p.s. i'd probably leave the exfoliation for now, your skin will probably become alot more sensitive so be careful :D

jimmyjammy: Alrighty! I figured that exfoliation would be really wrong but god...dry skin can alter your logic haha. So thanks!

Well, hello! Thanks for reading my log. Meh. I'm sure my red marks will go in time, but it seems like such a slow process. Still, it's wonderful to no longer have to face the soul destroying anxiety of waking up with grotesque lumps and crap on my face.

Good luck with your own course. Lucky you starting on such a memorable date. I keep having to count the days on my silly calendar. Oh, and I concur with tv_viewer: you're a stunning girl.

That sucks, girl. Looks like you're on the same boat I was on a couple months ago. I promise, the first few days suck bad because of the anticipation, but when you get to where I am (2 months), you can't believe how quickly it's gone by.

To answer your question about moisturizer: I use Cetaphil SPF15. Sunscreen is essential, not only for protection but to prevent further damage with the redmarks. In addition, if your skin can handle it (I'm on 60mg a day and I'm able to do this) I recommend an AHA product called Aqua Glycolic. I use it once a day, before my shower. I wouldn't say I'm glowing (unless my acne goes radioactive on me), but I'm fairly confident that it has made a difference.

Just think: By your next New Year's party, you'll be clear!

Hey! What a great start to the new year- getting closer to clear skin!

I use clinique extra thirsty skin moisturizer (i think thats what its called?) its in a jar, its pink... it works SO good. i slather it on and let it absorb into my skin for about ten mins before putting my makeup on. ive been using it for years and it has never broken me out. my breakouts come from hormal issues, i'm sure. also for years i have been using cetaphil and baking soda as a light exfoliant on my face. another poster on here reccomended that to me when i first started accutane, so other people are using it also. its really gentle and doesnt harm your skin.

good luck with everything! i'm a month ahead of you and i can tell you- once you get past the IB (if you even have one) it is definitely uphill from there. once my IB cleared up i stopped getting as many actives and really all i have left are red marks from fading pimples.

Day 5

Still no side effects! Wee! Of course it's still too early to tell so maybe I should kick away my oh-so-positive mood. I DO think that the right side of my face is breaking out a bit, however, my left isn't at all. On the plus side, the lumps and bumps seem to...err...deflate faster than normal!

Nothing really juicy for me to report again!

Jezika: The red marks are such a pain. They just sit there for months...haunting the depths of your soul. Now I'm more worried about the scars, jeez. Knowing me, my face will end up looking like a deformed version of the Grand Canyon. It also looks like YOU'RE quite the stunning one around here! :)

Kirbatha: Oh man I almost forgot about the Cetaphil SPF15. I know I have some around the house in my pile O'products. I'll have to start using it again! I'll have to look into Aqua Glycolic too. I've been pretty curious about some of the AHA products out there!

i saw the sign: I'll have to keep an eye out for this clinique extra thirsty skin moisturizer. I have tried the baking soda one before! It works very nicely and I love how smooth it is. I'll have to start trying that a bit too. I've tried so many products that I start to forget about most of them hahaha. So thanks!

Edited by mercyunbound

Day 6

Ugh I'm breaking out quiiiite a bit. I have a nice zit forming on the top of my lip as we speak. Mmm throbbing and everything! My skin isn't drying out yet...actually it seems as though I'm producing more oil than normal today. I'm trying to get used to the new texture of my skin with makeup too. Funfun! Last night I had to go to a meeting with a bunch of people that I know. After throwing on the makeup I kinda looked like a peeling lizard woman with a flesh eating disease. So sexy! ;D

On the plus side I was going through my bathroom cabinet (it looks like the leaning tower of acne products, might I add). I found a container of Derma E Scar Gel. I used it a while back but stopped for some reason. After doing more research on it, I didn't find any horror stories about people breaking out from it. Sooo I think I'll experiment since it's very gentle.

Still no juicy gossip or gory stories for me to report!

You have such a flare for the dramatic! I love it, and I think you are simply adorable. I just started accutane, well...yesterday. But, I am quite a bit older than you. Haha. Keep up the optimism; it is infectious. I don't expect any side effects for a couple of weeks, but we shall see. I do know that I am more than excited to start seeing results.

And I think you are right...humor is one of the best ways to deal with crappy acne; else we'd go insane! I've turned mine into a daily experiment at work to inspect my face routinely. :lol: I mean, why not? It's not like no one can't tell I have acne. Might as well make it fun, right???

Good luck on your treatment, and I will be reading your log!

Pahaha thank you! Acne is just so obnoxious and unnecessary for all of us. It seems like the only way I can approach it now is through blunt drama and giggles!

Good luck with your treatment! I have a bad feeling that the first few weeks are going to be the hardest. I've been sitting on the edge wondering if this stuff is working or not...or if I'm just too anxious and making imaginary pimple friends appear on my face. I'm just dying for some change...bad or good at this point haha.

good luck im on my 5th month now and am really considering stopping it but i think i will just finish the course haha the first few weeks are defs the hardest but when you see improvements it sorta seems worth it. hang in there ha

hey! seeing how you're started Accutane a first weeks before I'm about to start I'm gonna keep a tag on your blog ^___^

you mentioned Drema E Scar Gel and I was wondering if you're using it now or just forgot about it again? If so, tell me how it works! I'm considering trying it.

:)

Day 7

Finally a full week!

I'm at last seeing that my lips are changing a bit. They're kind of tight but not too bad. I managed to run out and get some Aquaphor!

On the plus side, the large zit clusters that popped up a few days ago are now just flat and scabbed up.

I had an eye infection yesterday and I'm wondering if it's from the drug. It's hard to tell since I often get infections thanks to my contacts. I'll have to watch it and see if I get more. Lemme tell you, yesterday was just a BLAST. Not only did I look like a lumpy grease ball…I had a bright red, burning eye. I’m surprised that no one mistook me for a homeless, sleep deprived drug addict.

I also had a really weird, sudden crying spell. I've been in a GREAT mood all day (not being sarcastic here :P ). It was entirely out of my character and lasted a split second when someone was talking to me. Hmm...I'm slightly concerned that it's the Accutane since I'm never, ever like that. Now I'm a bit suspicious thanks to all the horror stories about people getting depressed.

Oh! I also did something terrible. I looked into....a light up magnifying mirror! DUN DUN DUNNNNN. Honestly, who in their right mind created such a thing?! As if normal mirrors aren’t bad enough for us acne sufferers! My pores look like craters on the moon. And GOOD GOD, Accutane is really pushing out every single blackhead mingling in my body. It's like little lumpy aliens have made MY face their mother ship. Greaaaat!

werdemup and conspiracy83: Thanks! I hope the best for the both of you also. :)

And as for the Derma E scar gel...I think I'm liking it! I've only used it for the past few days now but it certainly hasn't made me break out. I've been trying to follow the directions by applying it 3-6 times a day. I don't think I like how it looks under makeup but it does seem to be fading my red marks and smoothing out my face. It's a bit early to tell but I'll keep updating!

Hey everyone! After a really long time of waiting, I’ve finally managed to get myself on the glorious nuclear weapon, Accutane! (Claravis, actually.) I’m a 17 year old female, 5’9” and weigh 110lbs. My derm is going to start me for the first month with 40mg once a day and I will be on a 5 month course.

I’ll start off by saying that I’ve been suffering from acne for the past few years. I’ve always had a few zits here and there but it was nothing much. About two years ago the small zits turned into a few cysts every once in a while. I was on Proactiv for most of my younger teenage years and after a while it just didn’t seem to work. Instead tossing away money on over the counter products, I went to the dermatologist. She put me on every antibiotic and topical medication that you can imagine. Nothing seemed to work. I’ve tried every homemade remedy and other products on the market with no true success. Mostly I started to believe that my acne was genetic and hormonal. The gene pool didn’t necessarily bless me with great skin. Both of my parents had fairly bad acne as kids. Yaaay me!

About…oh 4 or 5 months ago my dermatologist thought I should try a birth control pill to see if it would help. Sooo I went on the “fabulous” Yaz. At first, my skin started to really clear up. Between my visits with an esthetician and the pill, my skin seemed to be decent! Oh man what a trick that was! After a little while my skin became EXTREMELY irritated and I truly believe this was because of Yaz. What a scam!

So I’ve recently switched to the BCP Loestrin 24fe and my skin isn’t as annoyed. The damage is still done though and I have red marks all over from past breakouts. I can’t wait until they fade! My dermatologist and I both agreed that I should also start Accutane so my skin can stop being a never-ending pimple fountain of doom. I was pretty psyched! I waited roughly two months because of the pregnancy tests that were needed and….oh wait! It wasn’t that easy! Thanks to my luck, the dermatologist messed up my paperwork and I needed to take ANOTHER blood test and wait ANOTHER month. (Seriously, anyone who is considered Accutane, PLEASE annoy the hell out of your dermatologists and make sure that all of the paperwork is done correctly.)

After 3 months of waiting, on December 31, I at last got my prescription but…oh god it was New Years Eve! My derm couldn’t register me until 5pm. After that, I had to call iPledge and answer a bunch of questions to even activate my prescription. I was running around like crazy hoping that my pharmacy wouldn’t be closed. By the time I got to the pharmacy, they didn’t have the drug in stock. Luckily, the girl was nice enough to call another pharmacy and they happened to have exactly what I needed. PHEW! (I can’t believe what a hassle Accutane is! Jeeeez!)

So! Here we go! I took my first pill on January 1st, 2010. So, at the moment. I’m on day 3. I don’t really have any side effects right now and I hope it stays that way haha. There really hasn’t been a change in my acne yet either. We’ll see what happens!

I’ve included some photos to show you all the change in my skin over the past few months. It went from lovely to ugly! Woohoo!

(Just copy and paste the link. Anyone know how to make photos work on here?)

March 2009 (with makeup): "Heeey! Pretty nice skin!"

http://img686.imageshack.us/i/march09.png/

June 2009 (no makeup): "W-what...are those red things?"

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/june09.png/

August 2009 (no makeup): "Hey! It's clearing up again!"

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/august09.png/

December 31st 2009 (pre-tane, no makeup): "OHGOD! Did someone take a flamethrower to my face in my sleep?!?"

http://img686.imageshack.us/i/preaccutanedec31.png/

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/pretanedec31.png/

How embarrassing, eh?

With makeup on...I can cover the redmarks up pretty well at least.

December 2009 (with makeup):

http://img163.imageshack.us/i/pretanemakeup.png/

For the record, my forehead is kinda the same...not that bad.

Alright! That's all for now guys! I'll update this every few days or so! With photos too! :)

I'll also maybe make a post just to show you guys all the crap I've been on for the past few years. My bathroom is STUFFED with products! Hahaha.

My acne was Exactly like that...I borke out all over my cheeks & the acne was sooo red! But since i've taken accutane my face has cleared up almost completely:)

Day 8

Still no major problems for me! I'm starting to think that the drug is making me lose my appetite though. I just haven't been hungry all day long. Either that or it's all the water I'm stuffing down my throat. I don't feel like I'm drowning...yet.

I'm also still liking the Derma E scar gel. I think it's really helping to fade my red marks so far.

And thanks Italiana bby. I hope my skin turns out like yours!

Hey Mercy - just wanted to drop in and say hi! I'm starting out my second month and I sort of noticed the same appetite loss as you... although it could just be from stress on my end - who knows.

Anyway, I'll drop back in to see how you're progressing! Good luck!

M

Wow, I have what you have in your June Picture pretty much, albeit a decent amount less. I don't even get pimples really, just those "things" and cysts.

Day 21

Holy moly I'm such a jerk for ditching you guys. I've been busy as heck but at least I can update with plenty of stuff!

As for the Accutane, I think everything is going pretty well! I'll have to get pictures soon to show everyone the difference so far. I'm still not clear entirely but any blemishes that I get are much smaller than what I'm used to and they go away very quickly.

My skin is a bit more sensitive at the moment but it isn't dry at all. I've been trying to be very gentle when I dab on some makeup but I still manage to pop a pimple every once in a while. Of course then I'm yelling at myself in the mirror and praying to the Complexion Fairy to not let it scar my face. (Unfortunately she isn't as generous as the Tooth Fairy.)

I'm still loving the Derma e Scar Gel. You just have to really follow the directions and apply it often for it to work. It does seem to be smoothing out my skin and fading my red marks (aka: my "flamethrower freckles" as I now like to address them).

I am having some side effects at this point. My back is often sore, my nose always wants to bleed just a tiny bit, my lips are slightly dry and I got a skin rash on my hands. It's a glorious rash too. I proudly displayed it to my friend and declared that my skin was slowly rotting off my body like a zombie. I also made the stupid mistake of slathering on hand sanitizer when I was coming out of work. Talk about a burning sensation!

So! Overall I think my experience is going pretty well. I can't wait until my derm really brings up my dose next month. Other than that I'll try to update more often now. The new college semester just started and waking up at 5:30am is seriously murdering my biological clock.

And thanks to all of you that are reading!

Not really dry! Lucky... Sorry it took you so long on that one day, hassles are so worth it though! I don't think I needed to do anything with IPledge thats weird...I got some letter from them but just threw it out.

Good luck on your course

Day 23:

Nothing new to report! My eyes are starting to bother me though. I wear contacts (since I'm as blind as a bat) and they're preeeeetty irritating now. I might just have an eye infection though so I'm going to try to get to the doctor soon.

Err...at least my red bloodshot eyeballs match my zits now? (I wonder how much longer I can keep up with this positive streak haha.)

Laxer04: Yeah I guess I am pretty lucky with the lack of dry skin right now. Maybe it's the combination of the moisturizers that I'm using! Haha but you're lucky with the iPledge thing!

Edited by mercyunbound