Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLight09

Hesitant about Accutane

Ok, so I've had moderate acne for about 4 years now and the problem is it keeps coming back and won't go away. I've tried everything, and now Accutane seems the only choice. But I'm really hesitant especially about the side effects and honestly about not being able to drink. I'm at college and this is a part of my fun experience, which I basically don't want to give up. But on the other hand I do want clear skin. The only thing is my acne really only flares up really bad when I touch my face alot or during my period. Besides those times its not terrible. Also, I'm on the birth control pill, differin, BP face wash, and Minocycline right now.

I went to the Derm and she asked about Accutane and my mom was with me and she's REALLY pushing for it, so we went ahead and took the first pregnancy test and I'm going for my next one in a month. So basically I have a month to decide if I want to start Accutane, and in between that I'm using this new Benzoyl Peroxide/Differin combo thats brand new on the market along w. BP and the Minocycline still. The Derm said if my skin improves using all that together we won't need Accutane, and I'm praying that is the case!!

Any comments, suggestions, stories, advice are welcome!! I'm just really hesitant!

Wow it's scary how people always have the same thoughts about this drug haha oh well

My advice is simple and short: take it if you can't live with acne anymore.

P.S= the BP/Adapalene combo is 1 year old

yeah. accutane is the last resort. you're going to have to want to get rid of your acne so bad that you don't care about 6 months of reduced/no alcohol. i had the same thoughts before starting, but honestly, after two months and no alcohol, i'm so glad i started. i wish i had done it sooner. the side effects really aren't THAT bad, considering the end result is clear skin.

to be honest at my lowest point of my acne, which is when i got onto accutane, id have sacrificed alot of things! I had two summer holidays coming up, and i still drank, i just didnt take a pill close to the time id be drinking. thats probably not recommended, what with it making the liver more sensitive, but i did it once or twice.

I agree, I'm just getting cold feet but I really am at my wits end with this acne. I'm ready to get rid of it, and am eager to finally see some results! Thanks for all your comments, I'll be sure to start up an accutane log when I begin on Feb 2nd! Wish me luck!