Notifications
Clear all

Does mold cause acne?

MemberMember
(@tv_viewer)

Posted : 01/02/2010 9:52 pm

I'm always analyzing what is the cause of my acne. I was on Accutane in 2005 and was clear until I moved into a new apartment in July 2008 when I started to slowly break out again. My apartment is old and has no fan in the bathroom. I've been noticing nasty black mold pop up and even though we clean with bleach it won't go away.

Everytime I've gone on holiday my skin has cleared up and I wonder if this was because I was using mold free showers.

Has anyone else experienced this or may think it could be the cause?

MemberMember
(@amyelizabeth94)

Posted : 01/02/2010 10:51 pm

I think it might have something to do with it. I never had acne until about 6 months ago and while I think that there were several causes, a year ago I moved close to the beach and our bathroom and bedroom had lots of mold that was difficult to control. I moved to a new place December 1, so we will see if I start to clear up.

MemberMember
(@smartie)

Posted : 11/09/2010 10:56 pm

Read the last post from my log..!

MemberMember
(@tnajamie)

Posted : 03/25/2011 12:48 pm

I have mold in my bedroom, I think there is a link.

MemberMember
(@pepot)

Posted : 03/25/2011 3:57 pm

Your building owner should be taking care of any suspects such as mold - sometimes you can visibly see it on the walls - as in black patches or specs/spots. What your seeing could be that or dust - hard to say without seeing pictures at least of the area.

Much of which we probably wouldn't see. Mold and an array of other microparticles are circulating through the air - this exacerbates respiratory conditions for those such as asthmatics - It's not only limited to breathing issues... dust mites and the likes can cause irritation to those who are hypersensitive to "air pollutants".

I wouldn't say this is a direct* cause - but it's good to keep track of certain patterns or changes - whether what one is eating, how they are living and so on...

Regular cleaning of your bathroom after bathing (the dampest environment which mold thrives in growing) can minimize mold/mildew buildup - something simple as a 50/50 white distilled vinegar-water mix sprayed after bathing to all damp surfaces will help that.

You can also purchase an "air filter cleaner" that you plug into the wall and they work nonstop on various speed setting to filter out all the "bad stuff" in the air - not 100% but much better. The filters in these things do require replacement every few months, and the unit's cost/size depend on the area of coverage. Go to a department store/walmart and see what they have. Holmes makes good units, and they are pretty quiet with minimal maintenance.

I'd still talk to the building owner about the problem, and see what they can do or offer.

MemberMember
(@alicecooper)

Posted : 03/26/2011 5:04 pm

I'm always analyzing what is the cause of my acne. I was on Accutane in 2005 and was clear until I moved into a new apartment in July 2008 when I started to slowly break out again. My apartment is old and has no fan in the bathroom. I've been noticing nasty black mold pop up and even though we clean with bleach it won't go away.

Everytime I've gone on holiday my skin has cleared up and I wonder if this was because I was using mold free showers.

Has anyone else experienced this or may think it could be the cause?

Yes.

There is a documentary called black mold Exposure.

Mold can screw you up in many different ways. I am surprised it isnt addressed on this board.

Basically it can ruin your life. Get out of that apartment and watch that documentary.

MemberMember
(@darktree)

Posted : 03/26/2011 7:23 pm

Yes it's definitely connected in my case. I was relatively clear until my boyfriend and I renovated our bathroom which had a ton of black mould. Stupidly I didn't protect the rest of the flat from the spores which were kicked up when everything was ripped out. I'm still getting over a terrible breakout and my boyfriend, who is generally completely spot free started getting small bumps on his temples and an itchy head. I had these same symptoms plus a bad breakout on my chin.

Am now going to spend some time trying to clean the rest of the flat to try and get the spore count down but I'm hoping that the new bathroom which is now really well ventilated and made with better materials (and easier to clean) will mean things might start to look up.

Black mould is really nasty stuff and definitely contributes to acne in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@ashleenicole)

Posted : 09/10/2013 9:52 pm

Yes I've had the exact same problem and to make matters worse my acne felt inflammed and hurt.

The humidity from the broken vent will keep the mold growing. I even tried ripping the floor out bleaching and putting new floor down. Finally after a year I moved out and my acne cleared up within two months and I was able to get off both my prescribed topical acne cream and pill. MOVE OUT ASAP if you haven't already!