Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dely07

Acne Sufferers I Need Your Help! Have your say!

Hello I'm Adele and i'm in year 11 and for part of my gcse's i have to do a presentation on a topic of my choice. After having acne for 7 years and only age 16 i have always wanted to tell my fellow peers about acne from experience. I feel is is underated and people do not realise the impact it has on peoples lives and self asteem. As fellow sufferers i was hoping if a few of you would write me a few sentences about your experience and how it has affected you or something inspirational or something for some quotes for my presentation :) I would appreciate this greatly and you would be able to share your views to try help people understand acne more. If you could just write your response in the reply and i will add it to my presentation and if you could leave your name if possible and where you're from so my clasmates won't think i've just made them up! Many Thanks xx

wow i wouldnt have the guts for that... I dont have that special quotes or something. Just wanted to say your brave :P

Hey, congrats on having the balls.

I haven't exactly got anything inspirational to say, but I think acne sufferers turn into real fighters.

I've been through it thick and and thin for 4 years and even now I find it impossible to truly be comfortable in my own skin.

If you need anything else or help or whatever, I'd be happy to chat :)

When you suffer from acne, its take twice as much effort to accomplish anything in your life because acne is not socially accepted. Acne make you self conscious, embarrassed, reserved, completely independent, and definitely depressed. The next time you think of a funny comment to say to someone, or even behind someones back, remember that its not someones choice or lifestyle that causes them to suffer from acne, its a skin disorder that some people unfortunately experience and like me, life with for a long time.

Kate, 28, PA

Acne has made me suicidal in the past

Acne has made me extremely depressed and anxious

Acne has made me hate myself

Acne has made me envy and hate those around me with clear skin, even my family members

Acne has made me do a lot of crazy things, like starving myself and megadosing on Vitamin A

Having acne has been the hardest time of my life

Acne has made me numb, apathetic, indifferent

Having had acne since age 10, I have become a strong, confident, compassionate person. I have had to learn to love myself for reasons other than the physical, and had to develop a personality that makes people look beyond the acne. I have become a strong person who cares very little for what others think of me, due to years of mockery. And I have become compassionate because of that mockery, I have learned to stand up for people who are being picked on.

On the downside of it, I have become obsessive about certain things, like weight and hair, to the point of being almost vain. I'm working on this. All in all, I love who I am, and acne has contributed to that on the whole.

Savi, 15, USA

Acne shattered my confidence. People tell me I am beautiful but I never believe them. Acne has affected every aspect of my life including relationships.

Christine, 23, Canada

I have suffered from acne since age 14 or so. At first it didn't bother me or hold me back from doing anything since I had a great group of friends, then I moved away and my acne got alot worse and I became completely anti social. Fast forward 4 years later and I am still the same way. I don't leave the house unless it's necessary (or if I'm having a lucky day and my face isn't that bad). I refuse to get a job because of my appearance, which has made me very close to being homeless. The only thing that really keeps me going is knowing there are more options out there to try for my acne, so I try to remain positive and not give up.

Jason, Texas.

P.S - good luck on the project!

Having acne destroyed my confidence for a long time. Simple tasks like looking people in the eyes and talking to strangers were very hard. I'd look into the mirror and tear myself up for hours just staring and wishing it'd go away. I look at people with clear soft skin and wonder, "Why me? Why do I deal with this when people are happy doing nothing for themselves?" and I beat myself up forever about it.

Having acne did have it's positive sides, though. It made me realize I will never be perfect or exactly how I want to be, and I have come to understand that. No one will be. It's a fact of life. It has made me look so deeper into people than the outside because I know I would want the same. I may not be perfect, but I love myself regardless. Acne has made this possible for me.

Alyssa, 15, USA

Acne made me realize who my true friends are. Those who don't care about how I look.

Also, acne has made me gain incredible knowledge on health and how corrupt pharmacies and the whole medical industry are (all business in general)

hey it's busines, but I realized it the hard way.

Acne makes you incredibly humble.

I agree with "recoverme" that acne forces you to be a more humble person. You realize immediately that you aren't perfect, and you wish to be something that you aren't. Acne is also one of those things that you have almost no control over as far as ridding yourself of it. Sure, you can watch your intake and maintain a generally good skin care regimen, but for the vast majority of people who visit this forum, everyone is still searching for their cure and it's not for a lack of trying.

Anyway, I know high school can be a very shallow and unfriendly experience if you allow it to be, but just try to get the message across that acne is a condition that has nothing to do with the cleanliness of your face and that it's totally out of your control. Obviously everyone wants to have perfect clear skin, and it's not as if acne sufferers are oblivious. We get it, but there isn't enough research to find a definitive root cause or cure yet.

Hi :)

basically im 14 i've had acne for a year, thats been really bad. i have very pale skin blonde hair and blue eyes, so red big pimples are very noticeble! i am the only person i know that has acne which is very hard, i don't go out at all and if i do im covered in make up! acne has made me feel lonely angry and depressed. i hate to be vain but i have heard otheres say it alot not just me, i am very pretty theres nothing wrong with me besides acne. im slim (im a dancer) i have straight teeth pretty hair eyes.... blah blah. but no one sees that be cause of my acne. its just a wall that no one can get past. especially me!

Acne has taken away all of my happiness. Those without acne never know what it is like. They all assume that because they were never afflicted, it must be our fault. We chose to look like we do. We obviously never tried hard enough. If we only just "buy proactive, go to a dermatologist, wash our face" our problem skin will be a thing of the past! The comments that I hear on a regular basis devastate me more and more. The constant media assault regarding my "unsightly pimples" and disgusting acne has made me feel like a monster. Having severe acne that will not go away despite the most concentrated and intense efforts have made me doubt my ability to accomplish anything. If I can't get anywhere with this problem despite doing everything I know how every moment of my life, how will I ever be able to accomplish anything else?

I have become suicidal, incapable of getting a job, unwilling to look anybody in the eye, unable to look in the mirror for months, and unmotivated to live life. Being reminded on a daily basis that I am unattractive and deformed as left me feeling like there is no point in trying anymore.

Firstly you are very brave. If anyone even mentions acne around me i feel pretty embarased so i respect you for doing the presentation.

Anyway i think everyone with clear skin should have acne just for a day so they know how it feels and dont take their skin for granted and i mean this in a completely non evil way. Its just a lot of people have no idear what it is like to not know if you will be able to go out at the weekend or go to school the next day because your skin makes you feel so insecure and horrible. Acne has pretty much ruined my social life the last year.

Peter - England

I have had acne for over seven years now, and I am only 17. Acne has prevented me from doing the things I have dreamed of doing, such as going on Church Mission trips, and making plans to enlist in the armed services. I am at the top of my class, and I even considered not going to college because I feared what others would say. Acne has also contributed to me developing an eating disorder (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified/EDNOS) three years ago as I attempted to make myself more beautiful. Acne is hard to understand, and, at least in my experience, has prevented me from pursuing once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Acne prevents the members of today's shallow society from ever giving you a chance at life. I lived in fear and I felt restricted. Acne is a living hell.

-Meredith, 17, North Carolina, United States