Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid7

I cried for the first time

Well...it happened. I cried for the first time in my life over acne. I am in my thirties and I have cystic acne along the jawline, I have no health insurance, I've tried pretty much everything in the past from 3 rounds of accutane (no lie), birth control, antibiotics, topical stuff and while it worked at the time for a bit, it has now returned with a vengeance. I had a baby a yr ago and I'm at the end stages of breastfeeding. I now it's the hormones...I know. But, nevertheless, it doesn't make me feel any better knowing the source. I have tan olive skin so the scars the cysts leave are becoming so dark, it looks like I got hit in the jaw or worse yet, like a bad hickey!

I am at the end of my rope, I am currently taking evening primrose, zinc, rooibos and detox tea (lots of it) and stopped dairy, I'm also on Dan's regimen and the front looks just ok but the jawline is just horrible. I truly felt so ugly today that I cried hopelessly. I know there are many out there with my dilemma, I guess I just had to vent.

Aww, I'm so sorry. I have never had cystic acne (other than 1 or 2), but I know what it feels like when you just feel ugly. It's horrible. Message me if you ever want to talk :)

hey. vitamin A supplements cleared me up in 48 hours!!! give it a try.

everyday : 50,000 IU vit A and 500 mg B2. That's it!!! It really did the trick.

message me for more info

Why is it necessary to have Vitamin B2 with Vitamin A? I mean I'm already having Vitamin B2, but it's with other B vitamins in a Mega B Complex. I think it's 50 mg of B2 in the complex.

Hi Orchid,

I have been there and done that. You get this feeling of "I am 30 this stuff is supposed to be over already" I didn't want to be going through acne with my kids. I finally broke down and saw the derm when I got so depressed over it all. She couldn't help my back acne at all (whole different story) but I did learn a thing or 2 about my face. Mine was also cystic. 1) Antibiotics did not work for me 2) The more I washed the worse I made it 3) Picking is bad 4) From the derms mouth---Cystic acne is caused by stress and 5) and most important and what has worked for me is the less I did the better my skin got. I think we get to the point where we obsess over our skin and wanting it to be clear and tend to over do it with the products. What I do now is wash my face once in the AM with Olay age defying face wash with my hands (nothing abrasive since there are little hard things in the face wash) after I wash and dry I apply glytone acne gel its basically a 10% benzoyle peroxide but it works for me. Then I don't touch my face all day until right before bed and do the same exact thing again, wash with olay and put on my glytone. Now I only break out sometimes when its that time of the month, and if I do its just 1 blemish at a time. The only thing I am battling now is dry skin on my face and I am scared to use any type of moisturizer. I don't have this problem in the summer just in the winter since the heater dries out my skin more.

Hope this helps a bit. Keep your chin up :) You will find something that works for you!!!

Tiff aka LittleBump

message me for more info

50,000 IU of Vitamin A a day is incredibly risky. Toxicity has been reported in doses as low as 15,000 IU per day. Think twice before taking this advice.

I know your pain. I'm 29 and have cried about the condition of my face before... I always blamed it on hormones, stress, birth control, my diet, etc. I believe everyone's body is different, it's a trial and error process of finding what works. Recently, I got so desperate I put triple antibiotic on 2 huge cysts on my cheek, 1 on my jaw, and 1 on my chest. After washing with a noncomedogenic soap called Vanicream (from Walgreens).I applied a small dab to each at bedtime, then in the morning for about 3 days. And surprisingly, it cleared up. I don't know if this will help you or anyone out there. If it does, let me know! I'm pretty sure my problem was a bacteria problem...

Try internal remedies! How is your diet? Are you exercising/sleeping well? (All of this can become disrupted when a baby comes along!) Did you have acne before the baby? I really recommend balancing your bodies PH by taking Apple Cider Vinegar daily (it is a godsend, and so healthy for you anyway. It will also brighten your complexion). Also, I have been taking 'colostrum' (see threads on that here) for my digestion and internal health. It has helped GREATLY. I had cystic acne, and after about a month and a half, the DKR took it away. So, I recommend staying on that. Do all of this, enjoy your baby, keep your head up and good luck! If there is a beginning, there is an end.

I'd try magnesium malate (helps balance hormones) and niacin as helpful supplements. They truly have helped me get clear :)

message me for more info

uuuh...that's like...really dangerous. some doses of accutane don't even have that much vitamin A in them and you have to have clearance from your dermatologist, your pharmacist, and the effing FDA to be prescribed it. this is because of the risk of severe birth defects in case of pregnancy and the numerous possible side effects such as depression, loss of vision, hair loss, headaches, joint pain, etc. So self-administering it is not the smartest thing to do, and i'd say that she shouldn't do so since she's breastfeeding.

Edited by shipinabottle

Try the "less is more" trick. It really wokred for me! Sometimes our skin just needs to be left alone in order to produce it's natural oils etc. When I was in the army and couldn't wash my face with anything but water my face never looked so clear! You will notice if it's working for you pretty quickly, so if it doesn't, then you can still try meds.

message me for more info

uuuh...that's like...really dangerous. some doses of accutane don't even have that much vitamin A in them and you have to have clearance from your dermatologist, your pharmacist, and the effing FDA to be prescribed it. this is because of the risk of severe birth defects in case of pregnancy and the numerous possible side effects such as depression, loss of vision, hair loss, headaches, joint pain, etc. So self-administering it is not the smartest thing to do, and i'd say that she shouldn't do so since she's breastfeeding.

What if she really became clear ? O:o

stop dan's BP.. it will ruin your skin in the long run. Don't mask your face with products.

go the natural holistic way, it's hard but it's the most logical, common sense way to go to cure your acne

Wow..I never expected so much advice. Thank you all sooo much for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experiences and input. I really do thank you. I'm not sure which route to take at this point, but, I will put all your suggestions on the table and really think about which way to go and I will post updates. It's nice to know people care. So far, nothing has changed (I haven't cried again, though =).

Sorry you are going through this.

Although I had mild acne but I got new 10 to 15 pimples a day until I stopped drinking coffee.

Sugar and coffee can imbalance your hormones so just consider. And those counter acne products always irritated my skin and made it worse.

Good luck to you.

Edited by pause/break

Hey there, it sounds like you may have hormonal acne. I think that might be the cause of mine too and I just started taking Vitex and Don Quai today. Both are supposed to help regulate hormones. You can't take them if you are pregnant or nursing though. Not sure if it will help, but definitley something to research.