Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

so my skin is now clear except for the red crap and before my doc said accutane would get rid of it..but i dunno...do u think i should go ahead and get dermabrasion or somthing? i also had a doc suggest maybe a chemical peel? any sugg?

Posted

If you have only recently come off of accutane, you should NOT EVEN CONSIDER going under a procedure as invasive as dermabrasion for AT LEAST six months! If you do, you could cause irreperable damage to your skin. DON'T DO IT!!!

You shouldn't use any acid peels for 6 months, either. Your skin is simply too fragile.

You could, however, look into getting Vbeam done - apparently it is okay to have this procedure done relatively soon after accutane, as it is not at all invasive. It is apparently very good at eliminating the redness of initial scarring.

Try doing an archive search on this board.

You should also check out the FAQ which has some good methods for treating redness - the ones you could try at the moment are puredeming's intense gel, copper peptides, emu oil, lemon juice, manuka honey and light peels such as papaya enzyme. Don't try anything that's likely to aggravate your skin such as the vinegar or tape methods, as your skin will be too fragile after accutane.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. smile.gif

Posted
If you have only recently come off of accutane, you should NOT EVEN CONSIDER going under a procedure as invasive as dermabrasion for AT LEAST six months! If you do, you could cause irreperable damage to your skin. DON'T DO IT!!!

You shouldn't use any acid peels for 6 months, either. Your skin is simply too fragile.

Posted

Skittles, you've hit on my personal pet peeve, those danged red marks!!! Uggg!!! I've got myself down to almost only red marks now, my routine seems to have my acne almost completely at bay. The red marks are fading under my routine, but geez I wish I could wave a wand and make it happen instantly. I swear sometimes the look of the red marks is more painful than looking at the acne. I look at my cheeks where there are faint pink marks and think my skin tone looks mottled, there are some more recent red marks that have gone darkish pink that I'm also waiting to kill off. The thing that gets me, they make your skin look scarred in places, like it is indented because of the color shift, when really it isn't. I don't have that much actual shallow scarring, but these red marks make it look so bizarre. I think it is just time and perseverence on our part that will see them leave completely. They say they will go away in anywhere from 4-6 months, but mine have been fading much more quickly (THank GOD!) than that. I'm on about week 10 or 12 of my routine and they're pretty faded already.

So, my long winded post is just to tell you that you don't need accutane just for red marks. Give them some time to fade under your current routine. I think the AHA product, moisturizer and slight bit of salicylic acid in my cleanser and make up have been helping a great deal to make mine fade.

I hope we both get rid of ours quick! I'm dying to see my real skin again.

*hugs*

-Better Days

Posted

I don't think you should go on accutane just for red marks. I also don't think dermabrasion would be a good idea. They both might help but why go through something as drastic as dermabrasion and something as serious as accutane? I'm almost rid of active acne and now all I'm working on is getting the red marks to fade. I've been pretty successful thus far. I'm using Retin-a which is great. Have you ever considered it? It's good at exfoliating and speeding up the process. I also do a lot of chemical peels and i'm very pleased with the results.

Posted
I don't think you should go on accutane just for red marks. I also don't think dermabrasion would be a good idea. They both might help but why go through something as drastic as dermabrasion and something as serious as accutane? I'm almost rid of active acne and now all I'm working on is getting the red marks to fade. I've been pretty successful thus far. I'm using Retin-a which is great. Have you ever considered it? It's good at exfoliating and speeding up the process. I also do a lot of chemical peels and i'm very pleased with the results.

Posted
Skittles, you've hit on my personal pet peeve, those danged red marks!!! Uggg!!! I've got myself down to almost only red marks now, my routine seems to have my acne almost completely at bay. The red marks are fading under my routine, but geez I wish I could wave a wand and make it happen instantly. I swear sometimes the look of the red marks is more painful than looking at the acne. I look at my cheeks where there are faint pink marks and think my skin tone looks mottled, there are some more recent red marks that have gone darkish pink that I'm also waiting to kill off. The thing that gets me, they make your skin look scarred in places, like it is indented because of the color shift, when really it isn't. I don't have that much actual shallow scarring, but these red marks make it look so bizarre. I think it is just time and perseverence on our part that will see them leave completely. They say they will go away in anywhere from 4-6 months, but mine have been fading much more quickly (THank GOD!) than that. I'm on about week 10 or 12 of my routine and they're pretty faded already.

So, my long winded post is just to tell you that you don't need accutane just for red marks. Give them some time to fade under your current routine. I think the AHA product, moisturizer and slight bit of salicylic acid in my cleanser and make up have been helping a great deal to make mine fade.

I hope we both get rid of ours quick! I'm dying to see my real skin again.

*hugs*

-Better Days

Posted

There are many things you can do to improve post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, however I would not suggest dermabrasion. Perhaps you meant to say microdermabrasion? There are quite a few suggestions for hyperpigmentation in the Frequently Asked Questions thread at the top of the board. Check it out when you get a chance. smile.gif