Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JonoB

Sleeping

Hi, I was wondering if you slept for 12 hours would you benefit more than if you slept for 8 hours. If this is true surely where possible sleeping as long as you can would really help acne???

"The simplest good deed you can do for your skin may surprise you: sleep! Scientists and mothers around the world agree that a good night’s sleep — at least eight hours — can do wonders for your complexion. How? A healthy, well-rested body has the resources to build a strong immune system. While a robust immune system won’t prevent acne altogether, it can help fight infection so your lesions clear up more quickly. Luckily, your body isn’t picky; uninterrupted sleep in the daytime is just as beneficial. So if you work late, sleep late — and try to maintain a regular schedule."

http://www.acne.com/prevention/stress_lifestyle.php

Any suggestions....

I posted this a few days ago on a thread of a simliar topic....I sleep 12 hours a day, my skin is still bad haha.

That really just depends on your body, I think. There ARE studies that suggest too much sleep or too little can shorten your life span. However, I still feel that different people need different amounts of sleep because our bodies are....well...different. I could be wrong. Just my thought.

here's a study that suggests sleeping 6-7 hours is optimal and an increased death rate was shown in people who slept 8 or more or 4 or less.

http://www.sleepwarrior.com/is-too-much-sleep-bad-for-you

This may be kinda unrelated, but my parents knew this lady who woke up every day at a certain time and exercised. One day she decided to sleep in late, and she died in her sleep. :ermm:

May be a coincidence, but I dunno man... :errr:

Edited by Ḻyssa

Sleep is completely necessary for clear skin. However, 12 is way over doing it. No one needs 12 hours of sleep in a day, only when you first come to earth.

Everyone is different so while someone may only need 7 hours, someone else may need 9. But, just like everything else, even water and vegetables, too much sleep can do more harm then good. You can die by drinking too much water. And, if you eat the same green over and over again then the toxins will build up and do a lot of damage over time. Too much sleep can do the same thing.

Everyone seems to go with 8 hours and I understand why. About one month ago I tossed my alarm clock. I used to use the alarm clock on my phone but decided to stop using it and just wake up naturally. I go to bed when I am tired (most of the time) and wake up when I wake up. I am fortunate enough that I can do this, where most of you can't. But, you can develop a sleeping routine to where you can kick your alarm clock too.

Anyways... over the past month I have naturally slept for about 8 hours a night. I sometimes will wake up after 7.5 hours and will sometimes even sleep for a full 9 hours. It just depends. But, generally, it averages out to around 8 hours. On average, a human being needs about 8 hours of sleep a night. But, maybe you only need 7. You need to find out yourself.

But, again, 12 is waaay too much for anyone. The more the better, maybe, but you can do too much of anything. Sleep included.

P.S. I am here in these forums to help. So, if you enjoy reading my posts and want 1 on 1 help then please feel free to message me. I also just started a blog that I believe you would be interested in reading too. Just send me a message if you wish.

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

I generally sleep 6-7 hours a night, sometimes more (rarely over 10) and I always love my skin when I wake up. It's refreshed, a bit oily (which I quickly take care of with a clean shower), and just looks good. For me, sleep has done wonders for my skin.

Thanks for the replies. That seems to make sense, that each individual need different amounts of sleep.

For me when I get less than 8 I wake up feeling really groggy and that soon becomes stressed. I shout and snap out at people when I would usually not, and my skin looks terribly dry and angry. It take me a couple of days for my skin to recover.

But when I have a good nights sleep (over 8 hours) I wake up feeling refreshed and not stressed and my skin looks better.

I suppose its different for evryone.

But I think if someone had seriously low levels of sleep time over this would have a negative impact on their health because its not allowing the body to heal and recover??

Low levels of sleep time IS very dangerous. Lack of sleep can even be deathly.

The effects of too little sleep can also have short-term effects on brain health. Studies have shown lack of sleep affects working memory and increases the time it takes to perform certain tasks. Too little sleep is particularly bad when it comes to performing higher levels thinking tasks. It also decreases alertness which makes it harder to learn new tasks. In rats, it's been shown that lack of sleep affects their ability to form new nerve cells - a situation not conducive to learning.

Low levels of sleep time IS very dangerous. Lack of sleep can even be deathly.

The effects of too little sleep can also have short-term effects on brain health. Studies have shown lack of sleep affects working memory and increases the time it takes to perform certain tasks. Too little sleep is particularly bad when it comes to performing higher levels thinking tasks. It also decreases alertness which makes it harder to learn new tasks. In rats, it's been shown that lack of sleep affects their ability to form new nerve cells - a situation not conducive to learning.

-http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2243099/the_effects_of_too_little_sleep_on.html

According to the Washington Post not getting enough sleep increases an individual's risk of developing a number of illnesses. These include but are not limited to cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. It appears that sleep deprivation decreases the function of an individual's immune system making her more susceptible to illnesses ranging from minor to major. An individual who does not get enough sleep at night may be at a higher risk for colon and breast cancer.

Sleep deprivation can affect the way an individual thinks, acts and performs normal activities. Sleep allows both the body and the brain to rest and heal. Without enough sleep the brain loses power and an individual will have problems with memory and concentration. Individuals who do not get enough sleep may experience emotional instability. Problem solving will be difficult and the ability to make a rational decision may be compromised. In some cases sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations.

-http://generalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/dangers_of_sleep_deprivation

Sleep is definitely needed and people need the right amount! You're right - without 6-8 hours at least, the body can't do all the things it needs to. Your brain needs time to rest and the body needs time to heal.

Lack of sleep screws with your circadian levels.

http://www.ride4ever.org/images/normalsleep.gif

Without getting normal sleep, the intervals stretch, making your whole cycle out of whack!

My personal experience:

The last few weeks of 8th grade, I got 3-5 hours per night due to an addiction to this site. I regret that very much. My grades dropped, I wasn't alert, I slept during English, and listen to this - people told me I looked like crap!! :shock: Yeah... THAT'S what caused me to stop, too, people telling me I looked like crap. Out of all things. :wall:

You slept through English!!! Me too!!! I think I nearly do that all the time! Lol.

i usually sleep 12 hours but during the day because during the night i cant sleep then when i get tired its 7 or 8 and its sunny and i sleep till 7 pm, is this bad or regular, just sleeping at the wrong schedule and i just have to switch it

This may be kinda unrelated, but my parents knew this lady who woke up every day at a certain time and exercised. One day she decided to sleep in late, and she died in her sleep. :ermm:

May be a coincidence, but I dunno man... :errr:

Coincidence. She might have been dead in the first place as opposed to "sleeping in late"

I wish I had her willpower, though.

All very interesting responses, especially the one about during English, it must be the subject (or the teacher) because its very popular :dance:

Anywayz has sleeping hours and going to bed and waking up at regular times got anything to do with the melatonin cycle? If so could a possible cure come out of this?