Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miya

My derm appointment today, i'm getting accutane!!

Hi guys, so i had my derm appointment today. I had a great nurse, she was so knowledgeable about accutane and really helped ease my worries about starting it. The doctor i saw had been prescribing accutane since the 70's she said, so i felt good about that too, since he obviously would be very knowledgeable and experienced.

I asked them a lot of questions. The nurse said they had never had a patient complain about hair loss, which was really surprising to me. They were both very nonchalent about it. She said the main side effects were dry skin and lips and that a lot of their patients never have any issues about it. The doctor mentioned to me all the major side effects but he said that in all his experience with prescribing accutane, he had only had to stop the course in 20 people, mainly due to high liver enzymes and with two girls it was because they had experienced rectal bleeding b/c they didn't keep adequately hydrated. He said he started them on the course again later and told them to drink lots of water and they didn't have issues. Before i came in i wanted to start accutane but i was really scared about it, but they said it wasn't that big of a deal and that most of their patients had no issues. I also asked the doctor if there was anyone who reported serious side effects after their treatment was over and he said no. He told me that 70% of patients experience permanent remission, which seems like a pretty good probability to me.

I am so excited (and nervous) about starting. My health insurance starts on Feb 1st so the nurse told me she would hold off on registering me to ipledge until Monday (jan 4th) b/c you have to have your 2nd appointment after 30 days of your first apppointment or something like that and if she had registered me today, i guess that would put my appointment at January 31st, so my health insurance wouldn't have taken effect yet. Anyways, my next appointment will be on Feb 4th and i will be getting my prescription then. I hope she doesn't forget to register me on MOnday though b/c i've heard stories on here about nurses forgetting to do that and they had to wait a whole nother month to start.

The doctor gave me some samples of epiduo and something called acanya (clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide) to use for the month wait until i start accutane.

Anyways, does anyone have any advice about what products to buy to prepare me for my accutane course? I already know about the cetaphil but what moisturizers or sunscreen do you guys like? Also what shampoos and conditioners are good? I know accutane will really dry out your hair. and any other recommendations or tips you guys can give me would really be appreciated, like what supplements to take, what to eat with the accutane, etc. Thanks!! Sorry that this post was so long!!

Congrats on finding a factual error, guys. 5 points to Gryffindor and Slytherin!

What country are you in Miya? That will affect what products are available to you. All the products I used are in my signature, and I swear by them. CeraVe moisturizing cream and PTR buffing beads in particular. Basically you want to use anything gentle and non-medicated.

Good luck, I can't wait to hear how this works out for you!

Thanks guys! I am very excited. Can't wait till next month. The whole thing about the doctor prescribing it since the 70's is something the nurse told me, i guess she got her facts wrong, sheesh.

Thanks guys! I am very excited. Can't wait till next month. The whole thing about the doctor prescribing it since the 70's is something the nurse told me, i guess she got her facts wrong, sheesh.

Oh, it's all good. I wasn't saying your derm was bad or anything, just a correction.