Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drat

eliminating dairy the answer?

hello!

I read a couple of years ago in some silly women's magazine that dairy products cause acne. So I have, off and on, eliminated dairy from my diet to see if that would "cure" me of rosacea. It seems to help but I'm not sure.

To give up anything that has dairy would be almost the equivalent of going vegan for me. (My husband is vegetarian and to make life simple, I cook vegetarian 99% of the time.) I'd love to hear feedback from anyone and everyone on these questions:

(1) Do you think giving up dairy helps?

(2) If so, do you think it's necessary to give up everything dairy ... for example, pancakes have buttermilk in them -- does that mean I shouldn't eat pancakes?

(3) What about things like sour cream and yogurt? (I really like yogurt.)

(4) A quick perusal of this forum seems to indicate a lot of people think cheese is the culprit. Do you agree? (If it's just cheese I have to give up that wouldn't get so bad methinks.)

(5) Is it just dairy from cows that's the problem or can goat milk and goat cheese also be a problem? (Any thoughts about buffalo mozzarella or yogurt?)

Many, many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts!

And then you find out that even vegans get acne and even severe acne, so it gets you thinking... :think:

Scr*w it, eat the stuff you like and keep trying other methods, there's plenty of them besides cutting back on stuff you eat.

Anyways, rosacea works different than acne vulgaris, it's small broken veins... do you really think that eating/drinking dairy will produce rosacea?

And then you find out that even vegans get acne and even severe acne, so it gets you thinking... :think:

Scr*w it, eat the stuff you like and keep trying other methods, there's plenty of them besides cutting back on stuff you eat.

Anyways, rosacea works different than acne vulgaris, it's small broken veins... do you really think that eating/drinking dairy will produce rosacea?

Well, my acne rosacea looks more like acne vulgaris. I don't have any small broken veins, or very few anyway. I am sure it is rosacea though as a dermatologist has told me it is. Do I really think eating dairy will produce rosacea? Well, that's the point of my question. Happy New Year.

Well, my acne rosacea looks more like acne vulgaris. I don't have any small broken veins, or very few anyway. I am sure it is rosacea though as a dermatologist has told me it is. Do I really think eating dairy will produce rosacea? Well, that's the point of my question. Happy New Year.

Dairy is a large contributor to acne. But, eliminating dairy from your diet won't alone cure your acne. It is best to live as healthy lifestyle as possible. This includes mainly diet and managing your stress as effectively as possible. If you take baby steps, then improving your lifestyle can be pretty simple.

Yogurt is actually beneficial. It contains probiotics which can help reduce acne. I avoid dairy as much as possible but am not 100% strict with it. If you can avoid dairy completely (yogurt is an exception) then go for it. But, for me, I live with my parents and therefore eat the dinners that my mom and I cook. So I don't have 100% control over what I eat. If whatever we eat has some cheese, then I am not going to stress about it as that would do more damage.

Avoid dairy as much as you can, but don't stress about it. And, yogurt is beneficial to your skin.

But, again dairy alone won't cure your acne. I have been living an improved lifestyle over the past 3 months and am about 90% clear because of it.

I am here in this acne forum to help so please feel free to ask me any questions if you wish.

Happy New Year!

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

Dairy is a large contributor to acne. But, eliminating dairy from your diet won't alone cure your acne. It is best to live as healthy lifestyle as possible. This includes mainly diet and managing your stress as effectively as possible. If you take baby steps, then improving your lifestyle can be pretty simple.

Yogurt is actually beneficial. It contains probiotics which can help reduce acne. I avoid dairy as much as possible but am not 100% strict with it. If you can avoid dairy completely (yogurt is an exception) then go for it. But, for me, I live with my parents and therefore eat the dinners that my mom and I cook. So I don't have 100% control over what I eat. If whatever we eat has some cheese, then I am not going to stress about it as that would do more damage.

Avoid dairy as much as you can, but don't stress about it. And, yogurt is beneficial to your skin.

But, again dairy alone won't cure your acne. I have been living an improved lifestyle over the past 3 months and am about 90% clear because of it.

I am here in this acne forum to help so please feel free to ask me any questions if you wish.

Happy New Year!

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

Thanks, Todd; your answer is very helpful. I think I will eliminate cheese as much as I can and eat other dairy in as limited quantities as I can without making too much fuss over it. Not that I don't welcome other people's thoughts: I most certainly do!

Happy New Year!

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

Thanks, Todd; your answer is very helpful. I think I will eliminate cheese as much as I can and eat other dairy in as limited quantities as I can without making too much fuss over it. Not that I don't welcome other people's thoughts: I most certainly do!

Hey, I came across this post while googling for other possible 'success stories' with regards to acne and the elimination of dairy. I've struggled with quite moderate to severe acne since my early teens - I am now 24 years old (female). I have tried everything from homeopathic, herbal, hormonal cures...to topical concoctions (i.e. retinol A, both prescriptions and OTC). I've been on roaccutance twice, several months at a time, I've been put on various antibiotics. Overall, the results were underwhelming, sometimes better, sometimes worse..but inevitably my acne returned, and never quite disappeared in the first place. I was about the be placed on my third consecutive course of antibiotics in december, as my acne was once again worse than 'normal' and I didn't want to return to university for my postgrad with a face full of acne.

Anyway, long story short, just over 3 weeks ago I decided to eliminate ALL dairy from my diet - I mostly consumed yoghurt and skimmed milk (cheese wasn't a problem for me). I lovelovelove yoghurt, would eat it daily, sometimes more than once. I always thought this was doing my skin good due to probiotics which enhance gut-friendly bacteria. Anyway, I guess I was wrong. for the first time in my life, my acne is pretty much non-existent. Each day my face became clearer, less inflamed, less red. I am very very pleased with the results.

I realise different things work for different people, but if you have struggled with acne long-term, and are desperate to try anything...do yourself a favour and eliminate ALL dairy for at least a month. If it doesn't work, by all means, return to dairy, but if it does, you will feel and look a great deal better. it is worth the sacrifice and there are numerous alternative sources of calcium, protein and nutrients that dairy would otherwise provide. Unfortunately doctors and dermatologists think they know best, are quick to prescrie and assume the same stuff works for everyone (usually overlooking all the unpleasant side-effects).

Hey, I came across this post while googling for other possible 'success stories' with regards to acne and the elimination of dairy. I've struggled with quite moderate to severe acne since my early teens - I am now 24 years old (female). I have tried everything from homeopathic, herbal, hormonal cures...to topical concoctions (i.e. retinol A, both prescriptions and OTC). I've been on roaccutance twice, several months at a time, I've been put on various antibiotics. Overall, the results were underwhelming, sometimes better, sometimes worse..but inevitably my acne returned, and never quite disappeared in the first place. I was about the be placed on my third consecutive course of antibiotics in december, as my acne was once again worse than 'normal' and I didn't want to return to university for my postgrad with a face full of acne.

Anyway, long story short, just over 3 weeks ago I decided to eliminate ALL dairy from my diet - I mostly consumed yoghurt and skimmed milk (cheese wasn't a problem for me). I lovelovelove yoghurt, would eat it daily, sometimes more than once. I always thought this was doing my skin good due to probiotics which enhance gut-friendly bacteria. Anyway, I guess I was wrong. for the first time in my life, my acne is pretty much non-existent. Each day my face became clearer, less inflamed, less red. I am very very pleased with the results.

I realise different things work for different people, but if you have struggled with acne long-term, and are desperate to try anything...do yourself a favour and eliminate ALL dairy for at least a month. If it doesn't work, by all means, return to dairy, but if it does, you will feel and look a great deal better. it is worth the sacrifice and there are numerous alternative sources of calcium, protein and nutrients that dairy would otherwise provide. Unfortunately doctors and dermatologists think they know best, are quick to prescrie and assume the same stuff works for everyone (usually overlooking all the unpleasant side-effects).

so when you stopped eating the yogurt is that when things started to make all the difference?

for breakfast i have 1 banana and one yogurt, like an activia pro biotic kind of thing every day - sometimes twice a day. if i cut this out and replaced it with perhaps another fruit instead, do you think that would benefit? because i dont eat any dairy at all, you can't even get milk where i live - other than 1 or 2 yogurts a day

hello!

I read a couple of years ago in some silly women's magazine that dairy products cause acne. So I have, off and on, eliminated dairy from my diet to see if that would "cure" me of rosacea. It seems to help but I'm not sure.

To give up anything that has dairy would be almost the equivalent of going vegan for me. (My husband is vegetarian and to make life simple, I cook vegetarian 99% of the time.) I'd love to hear feedback from anyone and everyone on these questions:

(1) Do you think giving up dairy helps?

(2) If so, do you think it's necessary to give up everything dairy ... for example, pancakes have buttermilk in them -- does that mean I shouldn't eat pancakes?

(3) What about things like sour cream and yogurt? (I really like yogurt.)

(4) A quick perusal of this forum seems to indicate a lot of people think cheese is the culprit. Do you agree? (If it's just cheese I have to give up that wouldn't get so bad methinks.)

(5) Is it just dairy from cows that's the problem or can goat milk and goat cheese also be a problem? (Any thoughts about buffalo mozzarella or yogurt?)

Many, many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts!

here is an overview of the research in a random article online. I have had alot of interest in this recently and have cut down on my milk consumption... I will eliminate it soon and go on a low GI diet (there is a bitof good research going on in this area also) to see if it helps me

http://www.chicnhealth.com/acne-problem-do...lk-causes-acne/

apparently semi skimmed especially significant.... have a read :)

also in tetrms of pancakes and cheese

there are good vegan cheeses out there now aparently and me and my boyfriend made soy milk based pancakes and they were better than normal pancakes!! much more filling :D WIN!

Edited by crystal_willow

for breakfast i have 1 banana and one yogurt, like an activia pro biotic kind of thing every day - sometimes twice a day. if i cut this out and replaced it with perhaps another fruit instead, do you think that would benefit? because i dont eat any dairy at all, you can't even get milk where i live - other than 1 or 2 yogurts a day

It might not be the yogurt but the sugar. My mother just purchased those same Activa yogurts you are talking about. In 4 oz. (half of a normal serving of yogurt) there is 17 grams of sugar! This means 34 grams per a true serving!

This is waaaay too much. If you look on the ingredients there is added sugar and fructose or sucrose. The fruit adds a little sugar, but probably only a couple of grams as there is not much fruit in those yogurts!

If you are going to consume yogurt then purchase greek yogurt... this is the best for you. Buy ONLY PLAIN yogurt and then add fruit yourself. Berries are best since they are low on the GI and GL and are full of antioxidants.

I hope this helps! Shoot me a message if you want.

I am a vegan and still have acne, so I'd say dairy isn't the sole factor. Though it may have some effect (I can't say because I became a vegan before I got bad acne). However, one thing that has really helped my skin tone in general was eliminating sugar. I've been sugar-free for just over three weeks and my body acne has cleared about 75%. It's worth trying :)

I am a vegan and still have acne, so I'd say dairy isn't the sole factor. Though it may have some effect (I can't say because I became a vegan before I got bad acne). However, one thing that has really helped my skin tone in general was eliminating sugar. I've been sugar-free for just over three weeks and my body acne has cleared about 75%. It's worth trying :)

Yes, cutting out sugar will certainly help too. But, feel free to eat some fruit, especially berries.

The more things you change in regards to not only diet but your overall lifestyle of living the better chance you have of having clear skin...

If you had the opportunity to shoot half court shots for a million dollars wouldn't you rather take 100 shots if you had the chance instead of just 1 or 2? It is the same thing with acne and anything in life... in order to get what you want (clear skin) you need to do everything you can to get there. Only eliminating dairy and sugar will help dramatically but you may never have clear skin.

Improve your lifestyle in all areas and do more with your diet. Just don't stress out about it :)

I went to a homeopath and I don't have an intolerance to cows milk. I get zinc from it too, so for me it doesn't make any difference.

the milk connection isnt about intolerance to lactose, the people studying it think its about the hormones found in the milk.

I went to a homeopath and I don't have an intolerance to cows milk. I get zinc from it too, so for me it doesn't make any difference.

the milk connection isnt about intolerance to lactose, the people studying it think its about the hormones found in the milk.

Milk is bad due to the hormones, antiobiotics, chemicals, lactose, casiein (protein in milk), etc. It's all combination of everything. Just stop drinking it. Period.

And what do you take instead of milk for breakfast or the so called "5 o' clock tea"?

Edited by Sonic999

ROFL, dude, you look just like Cardetti, an argentine soccer player... sorry, I just couldn't help noticing :D :

cardetti_psgfr.jpg

And what do you take instead of milk for breakfast or the so called "5 o' clock tea"?

Milk for breakfast? Why would you need milk for breakfast? Just joking :D

But... I will be going primal as soon as I move out my parents which means I will NEVER need milk for breakfast because I won't be eating any more cereal.

But, for now, I do eat cereal. HEALTHY cereal that is... if there is such a thing. I use Almond Milk. I LOVE almond milk... you should give it a try :) I buy the almond breeze brand for $5.00 a gallon.

I eliminated dairy from my diet five months ago and it helped with my acne a lot! I use to have cottage cheese for breakfast, and then a cheese sandwich for lunch, and it was really doing a number on my face! I will eat dairy once in awhile (maybe once a week), but it's not a daily thing anymore. It wasn't a acne cure for me, but it has made a big difference. As for the rosacea... I don't think cutting the dairy out made a difference as for the redness in my face. I've just started Metrocream for the rosacea and I'm avoiding the other food triggers for rosacea as well. I do notice that spinach and tomatoes will flair up my rosacea a bit. The acne I have is not from rosacea.

I eliminated dairy from my diet five months ago and it helped with my acne a lot! I use to have cottage cheese for breakfast, and then a cheese sandwich for lunch, and it was really doing a number on my face! I will eat dairy once in awhile (maybe once a week), but it's not a daily thing anymore. It wasn't a acne cure for me, but it has made a big difference. As for the rosacea... I don't think cutting the dairy out made a difference as for the redness in my face. I've just started Metrocream for the rosacea and I'm avoiding the other food triggers for rosacea as well. I do notice that spinach and tomatoes will flair up my rosacea a bit. The acne I have is not from rosacea.

See we may love dairy but it is incredibly easy to give up and you just might feel a little better too! I also still eat dairy once in a while. But, my consumption has declined about 95% at least. I will throw some parmesan cheese on my omelet sometimes, add cheese to a subway sub (about 1-2 times a month), etc. And, of course, when there is a special event such as a birthday... a little cake with icecream or whipped cream doesn't hurt :dance:

the brand "so good" unsweetened soya milk is the best I have found. It can even be used for coffee. any brand is ok for cereal but "so good" is the only one I have found which will happily mix with coffee without .... precipitating (going lumpy).

enjoy experimenting :) also its got calcium in it so don't worry about that :)