Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SNH2008

How long does Spironolactone stay in your system?

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long spironolactone stays in your system once you go off of it? I was diagnosed with PCOS and was put on it along with Metformin and Yaz....buuut due to the birth defects it can cause and along with all the side effects I've been having with it I want to stop taking it. My husband and I want to start trying to have a baby but I want to make sure that the spiro is out of my system so it doesn't cause any defects...HELP!

I don't know exactly how long, but it shouldn't be too long. Someone found out on another post that it's half life is only 10 minutes. Could be out of your system completely in less than a day, but always best to check with your doctor.

The problem is that it can feminize a male fetus if you take it while pregnant. I have read that if you stop taking it as soon as you find out you are pregnant that chances are the baby will still be ok. Not that I am advocating that at all, but my point is that we are not talking major birth defects here. And the half-life of long term use spiro is 13 to 24 hours. Short term use is 10 minutes! But just ask your doc about it.

The problem is that it can feminize a male fetus if you take it while pregnant. I have read that if you stop taking it as soon as you find out you are pregnant that chances are the baby will still be ok. Not that I am advocating that at all, but my point is that we are not talking major birth defects here. And the half-life of long term use spiro is 13 to 24 hours. Short term use is 10 minutes! But just ask your doc about it.

Thanks for the correction!