Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nametaken41

120 Mg a day High dose?

ive been on accutane for a week now and the derm has got me on 120 mg a day, two 30mg pills in the morning and two 30mg pills at night. Does this sound like too high of a dose? i weight 130 pounds btw

That's the highest dose Ive ever heard of. I would suggest taking a lower dose, at least to start out. I all for accutane but what is your derm thinking putting you on that high of a dose at 130. I was 160 at the time I took it a was on 40 then 60 mgs. Good luck on it. Accutane would definitely work wonders but talk to your derm about the dosage.

yea when i started to read some of the dosages that others were on especially when compared to weight i was starting to think 120 is high. Maybe she thinks this will help it clear up faster and have me on a shorter cycle? so far the only side effects have been mega dry cracking lips and ultra dry eyes. the way i see it is i would rather suffer more if it helps solve the problem sooner.

Honestly, that's way too high. Recommended dosage is 0.5 mg/kg/day to 2 mg/kg/day. You are taking 2.03mg/kg/day. That is simply not good for your body. Unless your acne is making you bleed your eyes out, take a lower dose-- whether your derm wants you to or not.

yea i plan on talking to my derm about it when i go for check up in 3 weeks. i mean if i can live with these side effects so far what are some of the pros and cons of taking a dose this high?

I'm on 120mg a day as well, but I am 210lbs. I would talk to your derm about the dosing, but some of the benefits to being on a high dose are that you get to finish your course quicker and you have a higher chance of your acne not coming back.

I see that they started you out at a low dose and worked you up to 120. They straight started me out and 120 and when i talked to my mom who is a nurse concerning the dosage she thought the opposite might be true for me. She called it loading, starting me off at a high dosage and then weaning me down gradually throughout the course. Has anyone else ever experienced this? or been on a dosage this high?

i was about 140ish when i went on. if you take a look at my signature, i was on 120mg for a long time. little side effects, thankfully. just listen to your body, drink water, and keep that chapstick close!