Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JR20

WHAT?! BODY BUILDING + ACCUTANE= STRETCHMARKS?!!

hey whats good guys

so here's my story:

i've been on accutane for 6 months now and haven't had any major issues

til about month 5. Since it's winter season, I've been bulking up hard and

I've gained about 20 lbs in 2 months. I started getting stretch marks just on

my upper arms. I got paranoid and stopped working out.

My question is, how long does it take for stretch marks to heal?

Is accutane the reason for this or is it the rapid weight gain?

I've been depressed lately because I can't workout. it's like I quit smoking cold turkey.

Any suggestions on how I can help the healing process of these nasty stretch marks?

I'm real desperate here.

Thanks guys

Are you gaining muscle or fat? And where are the stretch marks?

I used to be into bodybuilding for a few years, but then I got really into track and became leaner. The only stretch marks I got were from losing muscle not gaining it. They are concentrated around my upper biceps, likely because I do less isolated lifts now. I wouldn't stop working out if I were you. If you are concerned about stretch marks while on accutane you could always do maintenance lifting to keep what you have without losing muscle. Trust me you don't want to do this!!! Its so much harder to get it back.

I was on tane too, so I know how that goes. Good luck and best wishes

I'm gaining both muscle and fat. The stretch marks are mostly in my upper biceps and its really pissing me off! I talked to my derm and she said to lay off the weights for a bit.

But I was wondering how long it takes for the stretch marks to heal? cause 3 weeks ago they were bright red and now they're pinkish?

I'm scared to even lift anything cause it might make the marks bigger you know? Then again, all my hard work would just go to waste. I guess you're right. maintenance wouldn't hurt.

Do you think its just due to me being on accutane or is it just genetics? or weight gain?

Do you think moisturizing like mofo would help at all?

Thanks a lot btw

I am big into bodybuilding too, and I am about 90% sure that is what activated my acne about 16 months ago from using supplements like testosterone boosters. But anyways, if you have legitimate stretch marks accutane or no accutane they are not going to go away any time soon, they might fade out a little bit on there own over time. I would recommend getting something like maderma (dunno if thats spelled right) which helps with stretch marks and scars. The stretch marks would be from weight gain, not from the accutane.

On the bodybuilding side: gaining 20lbs in 2 months is a ridiculous amount of weight, you are clearly over eating. Your body can only put on so much muscle in a given time frame regardless if you are eating 500 calories over maitenance or 2000 calories over.. Why not lower your calories some so your putting on quality muscle without fat gain, that alone should help with the stretch marks.

Good Luck, enjoy the accutane and keep lifting heavy.

I have been lifting weights for about 5 years, play college football, and am on accutane. I have a few stretch marks located by my armpit / bicep area. I have noticed since I began taking accutane that these marks are a bit more pronounced. I'd really recommend getting a cream specifically made for stretch marks or using vitamin e to help with the marks themselves.

I also believe part of stretch marks are genetic - not much you can do with that.

Lastly, if you gained 20lbs in two months I will guess that, at the very best, 6 or 7lbs are muscle.. which means you also have 13 lbs of water retention and fat, which, isn't horrible but I would recommend lowering both your carb and calorie count. If you're serious about bodybuilding go and see a well respected sports nutritionist.. it will be a few hundred dollars but it is so worth it. To actually know exactly how many grams of fat / carbs / protein you need with each meal to help you accomplish your goal is really helpful. I'm not trying to tell you how to workout because if you're serious about bodybuilding I would hope you are training with other people who are serious about bodybuilding and know what they're doing, but (and this is just me looking at the fact you gained 20lbs in 2 months) start doing more cardio! BEACH SEASON IS SIX MONTHS AWAY (depending on where you live anyway)! Good luck

caut1on - I assume when you say testosterone boosters you mean things like tbomb or cryotest.. If you're under the age of 25 you'rewasting your money on these products.. you have so much natural test available you don't need them. The only test worth taking is injectable testosterone that i do not recommend as it is illegal, and even then test is stacked with another compound.