Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bɭesstheʄẚɭɭ

What are you favorite, healthiest, cheapest, easily accessible foods?

Sweet potatoes, cabbage, greens and broccoli fresh and frozen, onions, garlic, lentils, dry giant lima beans, raw sunflower seeds, oats, canned jack mackerel and salmon, bananas (always buy & eat small fruits), homemade yogurt from organic milk, frozen berries, kiwi, canned tomatoes although the plastic coating on the can is an issue to be concerned about. Lemons which are best seasoning there is and can counter the free radicals caused by charring meat.

Make stir fries, curries and soups with the above. Cook lentils with sweet potatoes and curry powder and of course onions and garlic. Top servings with a spoonful of yogurt. Cook the lima beans with lots of garlic and onions and italian spices, you can add sausage or tomatoes too.

When you cook something, boil the veggie scraps in water with salt and garlic to make veggie broth to freeze for soups. Also poach chicken for sandwiches or salads so you can save the broth for soup. Don't buy it.

When in season these can be cheap:

pomegranites

almonds and other nuts - stock up in fall and put in freezer

some high omega fish like wild salmon, arctic char, farmed trout. Don't buy farmed salmon.

Stuff on sale. For example, Whole foods usually has some organic apple or another on sale for $.99/ lb. Another supermarket chain near me is good about having organic stuff on sale for about the conventionally grown price: Organic berries, nectarines. Fish.

Not so cheap but worth it:

Eggs from pastured hens. Hint, at my farmer's market one producer has white eggs much cheaper than brown. But the chickens are all raised the same so I get the white and let the suckers who think the color of the egg has anything to do with the nutrition pay extra for the brown.

Edited by alternativista

Eggs!

I go through so many. Such an incredible source of nutrients, fat, protein and cholesterol.

Spinach, depending on source.

Bananas (organic aren't as important since you can peel them)

Bacon (try to find sodium free stuff, there's alot of things added to bacon that make it unhealthy)

Nuts (in Louisiana all you have to do is find a pecan tree when they drop)

Kiwi (usually 3 or 4 for a buck)

Coconut (considering you use the water and the "meat", could be economical)

Olive Oil (although it's worth buying a quality brand)

Buying the entire chicken instead of prepackaged parts/pieces!

Lemons

I like Bob's Red Mill stuff. Gluten free mixes (my Mom's Gluten Free) are really good and their steel cut oats are good for breakfast

The cheapest food I buy is Organic sweet potatoes.. only $2.50 for about 5-7 sweet potatoes.

^^ I love it....

By the way, you think I should start buying all natural instead of organic?

:)

Sweet potatoes, cabbage, greens and broccoli fresh and frozen, onions, garlic, lentils, dry giant lima beans, raw sunflower seeds, oats, canned jack mackerel and salmon, bananas (always buy & eat small fruits), homemade yogurt from organic milk, frozen berries, kiwi, canned tomatoes although the plastic coating on the can is an issue to be concerned about. Lemons which are best seasoning there is and can counter the free radicals caused by charring meat.

Make stir fries, curries and soups with the above. Cook lentils with sweet potatoes and curry powder and of course onions and garlic. Top servings with a spoonful of yogurt. Cook the lima beans with lots of garlic and onions and italian spices, you can add sausage or tomatoes too.

When you cook something, boil the veggie scraps in water with salt and garlic to make veggie broth to freeze for soups. Also poach chicken for sandwiches or salads so you can save the broth for soup. Don't buy it.

When in season these can be cheap:

pomegranites

almonds and other nuts - stock up in fall and put in freezer

some high omega fish like wild salmon, arctic char, farmed trout. Don't buy farmed salmon.

Stuff on sale. For example, Whole foods usually has some organic apple or another on sale for $.99/ lb. Another supermarket chain near me is good about having organic stuff on sale for about the conventionally grown price: Organic berries, nectarines. Fish.

Not so cheap but worth it:

Eggs from pastured hens. Hint, at my farmer's market one producer has white eggs much cheaper than brown. But the chickens are all raised the same so I get the white and let the suckers who think the color of the egg has anything to do with the nutrition pay extra for the brown.

Nice list. What you do with canned tomatoes? :) So it's OK to buy canned salmon?

Btw I saw wild caught alaska sockeeye salmon... is that good?

Edited by EddieE

Hummus and veggies (you can make your own or buy it)

Broccoli

Oatmeal

Pineappple

Rotisserie Chicken (the kind the store pre-cooks)

Homemade hot-chocolate (okay- so not really healthy, but if you make it yourself, put in less sugar and use cinnamon and vanilla... its really good!)

English muffins

Eggs, almonds, broccoli, spinach (awesome for salads), saurkraut, lemons, bell peppers, chicken, almond milk - though I'm not sure if that counts as cheap or not.

I'm glad you made this thread. I just moved back in with the parents while I get another college degree. I've convinced my mom to shop and eat healthier. We're making our first trip to the grocery store and I needed some other ideas of what we can purchase.

I also just purchased a Teeccino sample set. It's not a cheap brand, but hopefully a good and nutritious drink that I can start purchasing

:dance:

Alot of people are mentioning cashews, almonds, etc. Dont over do those cause they have fats in them. A while back i got into cashews and almonds and it caused me to break out but for some people it is ok.

For me blueberries for the high antioxidants.

Green tea (no sugar)

Wholemeal bread for sandwiches

Alot of people are mentioning cashews, almonds, etc. Dont over do those cause they have fats in them. A while back i got into cashews and almonds and it caused me to break out but for some people it is ok.

Green tea (no sugar)

They have the GOOD fats in them. For a while, I ate almonds like a mad woman (and almond milk) and it had no impact on my skin at all. They were unsalted and such. Some people have sensitivities to them and if you can't digest them properly or have a sensitivity to them, of course they'll cause you problems.

I still say they're worth a shot. I got more acne from green tea than I ever did from almonds.

Blueberries are delicious, as are raspberries! I just wish I could eat them right now, but I'm not eating any sugar. XP Hopefully, I can add them back in later.

Edited by gMARIAs

Almonds

Lettuce variey leaves

Almond butter, raw, all natural

Chickpeas

Apples

Oats

ACV

Virgin Coconut oil

Sweet Potatoes

Quinoa

Avocados

Pumpkin seeds

EVOO

Broccoli, carrots, sprouts, cauliflower, zuchinni, aubergine

Bell peppers

Blueberries

Raw Cocoa Powder

Chicken breast

Fish

Almonds

Lettuce variey leaves

Chickpeas

Apples

Oats

ACV

Virgin Coconut oil

Sweet Potatoes

Quinoa

Avocados

Pumpkin seeds

EVOO

Bell peppers

Blueberries

Raw Cocoa Powder

Chicken breast

Fish

Healthy list :P but most of them are expensive... :|

I bought almond butter raw but to eat 1-2 tbs a day.. but I am afraid because I used to break out badly on my forehead when I started eating almond butter... I did ate a lot though...

So you think 1-2 tbs don't break me out?

Green tea (no sugar)

extra-virgin coconut oil/ olive oil are high in fats... which I use this a lot... and I don't break out...

I usually break out with small acne but that's normal... probably because of stress..

=\

Almonds

Lettuce variey leaves

Chickpeas

Apples

Oats

ACV

Virgin Coconut oil

Sweet Potatoes

Quinoa

Avocados

Pumpkin seeds

EVOO

Bell peppers

Blueberries

Raw Cocoa Powder

Chicken breast

Fish

Healthy list :P but most of them are expensive... :|

I bought almond butter raw but to eat 1-2 tbs a day.. but I am afraid because I used to break out badly on my forehead when I started eating almond butter... I did ate a lot though...

So you think 1-2 tbs don't break me out?

Yeah I eat only 1-2 tblespoons a day!!

I think thats enough because I eat almonds aswell.

Is whey isolate expensive and am I too young???

Alternavista,

What brand cocoa powder do you buy?

I buy Green and Blacks organic fairtrade cocoa powder but I think it's dutched :S

Is this hugely significant??

Alternavista,

What brand cocoa powder do you buy?

I buy Green and Blacks organic fairtrade cocoa powder but I think it's dutched :S

Is this hugely significant??

Yes, dutch processing destroys much of the nutrients but makes it more dissolvable. I buy Hershey's special dark which is a blend of natural and dutched cocoa with natural being the first ingredient so it's over half, by how much I don't know. But it blends well with water. I'd like to buy organic and fairtrade and all that, but haven't found an equivalent.

Yeah Im not getting any antioxidants like!!

Its pretty much just empty calories!!

I'm going searching a better brand!!

I'll give you heads up if I make a good find =]

Apples, whole grain cereal, tea! Lots!

Oh! Wheat germ! God it's DIRT cheap and packed with nutrients! Just sprinkle it in salads, yogurt, oatmeal...anything!