Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rhatica

Question for girls who USED to get acne ONLY before or during period...

and who SOLVED the problem without the use of birth control or antibiotics. How did you solve it?

Edited by rhatica

the odds of finding someone on this site that used to ONLY get acne before or during their periods are slim. Most people are here because of consistent acne.

Personally, I don't think you can really rid yourself of hormonal acne around that time. You can treat it with topicals, though, in hopes to suppress it and prevent it. You can also try mint tea which has anti-adrogenetic effects and might help with hormones.

and who SOLVED the problem without the use of birth control or antibiotics. How did you solve it?

I used to get about 1-2 zits during my periods. I did nothing, they went away on their own volition as soon as the period week is over. I was given some pills to regulate my hormonal activity (due to severe dysmenorrhea and irregular periods, and not for the zits). I'm not too sure if it was the pill that worsen the acne but after stopping, I've started to get zits all over my face. It's not solved but it's controlled (with the help of antibiotics and other products)

I think there's been quite a few. This is what a lot of people refer to as 'hormonal acne' as if all our acne didn't involve hormones. I think you should look into estrogen dominance. Do you also have PMS-type issues.

Do you also have PMS-type issues.

No, I never have any of the other symptoms - my period just comes along with no pain or anything. If it weren't for the acne my period would come and go with no hassle.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any herbs for this sort of thing? Because I refuse to just accept the fact that this will be a monthly occurrence and there's nothing I can do about it.

Do you also have PMS-type issues.

No, I never have any of the other symptoms - my period just comes along with no pain or anything. If it weren't for the acne my period would come and go with no hassle.

Just wondering if anyone has tried any herbs for this sort of thing? Because I refuse to just accept the fact that this will be a monthly occurrence and there's nothing I can do about it.

Well estrogen dominance is about an excess of estrogen relative to progesterone whereas I think people who only break out during their period or ovulation and otherwise have no other problems is about a temporary dominance of estrogen due to fluctuating progesterone. Some people take vitex which increases progesterone by improving pituitary function. You might try that. Some people have tried progesterone cream from wild yam for the last half of your cycle.

You could read the threads here for more info:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574328

i am using vitex right now for estrogen dominance. i have been taking it for 6 months now, and have have had pretty good results with it in regards to acne and PMS.

before i started using vitex, i had some zits (mostly cystic) on my face most the time, but they got exceptionally worse at ovulation time until the end of my cycle.

even with the vitex, i still will get some small red marks before the end of my cycle, but no more cystic acne. i can handle the few spots over cysts any day! :cool: