Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joga

tea and acne

Being completely aware that tea contains caffeine, I decided to try and eliminate it from my diet to see if there was a link to tea and my acne. I typically drink 2 teas daily. First day I eliminated it I didnt pass any stool. Second day I didnt either, than the third day I was constipated....

Is this because my body has been so use to the tea intake that because I didnt consume any tea I was faced with this??? Obviously I didnt last on this plan but im deciding to try it again...Any ideas on what to do if the constipation occurs again??

Whenever I don't drink coffee, I get totally constipated. It makes me go within a half hour of drinking it, the good kind not the bad kind lol

Either that or you need to increase your water intake to make up for the lost drinks? I read somewhere that not enough water can cause constipation?

I used to drink a hell lot of green tea, but I stopped it for the same reason as you did.

I didn't have any constipation problems, but I didn't notice a dramatic difference to my skin either. Sure, living a caffeine-free life was quite invigorating in the sense that I no longer needed to rely on caffeine to stay awake at work, but the effort of avoiding caffeine at all costs outweighed the results that it was generating.

I no longer drink tea to the extent that I used to, but I still drink a bit each day. Drinking an aromatic cup of tea is one of my chief pleasures in life.

caffeine is considered a mild laxative. Your body might have been relying on it to help you pass? Just a theory.

As already mentioned, drink more water and try adding more fiber like beans. You may also opt for a psyllium husk supplement, which should help.

On a side note, if anyone is a coffee or tea addict, there are herbal coffees and herbal teas. Teeccinos makes alternative coffees and teas that are caffeine free. Their coffees are actually made from nuts, like almonds, and some other things, like chicory. They do make tea, but you can get caffeine free herbal tea in a regular grocery store. Celestial Seasons makes a ton of them.

Tea has a range of intestinal effects. Caffeine in particular speeds up motility pretty reliably. When I used to work in the fields all day with few civilized bathroom options, I would slam down a large dose of caffeine in the evening and that would guarantee I could "go" first thing in the morning before heading out to work. IME, if you go from significant caffeine to none, there will be a significant period of adjustment (which never bothered me much -- hey, you'll go eventually, it's not like you're gonna explode!).

IMHO, the relevance of caffeine to acne is two-fold: disturbing the melatonin cycle and depleting zinc. The relationship of caffeine to melatonin is damned complicated. It can both help prevent melatonin from being broken down (thus raising melatonin levels) and shorten the sleep cycle (thus curtailing the nightly melatonin output of the pineal gland). If you keep the caffeine intake modest and avoid having it within 8 hours of bedtime, you may be able to avoid having it dampen the nocturnal melatonin surge that helps prevent acne. Conversely, if you eliminate caffeine completely and do other things to dampen melatonin (sleep in light pollution, sleep few hours, go to bed at irregular hours, etc.), you may erroneously conclude that caffeine can't affect acne. Timing and dose and your individual DNA matter when it comes to caffeine and acne, IMHO. A non-trivial number of subjects get startling elevations of melatonin from taking caffeine (part of the suite of weird human-to-human variabilities seen in almost any study about melatonin).

The ability of caffeine to deplete zinc (zinc being required to make the zinc superoxide dismutase that interrupts the trigger for acne inflammation) has been demonstrated in rodents. If it turns out to be also true in humans, that would be a Bad Thing for acne, though probably can be remedied by just taking a modest sized zinc pill (e.g. 30mg) before bed.

My guess is the optimal use of caffeine for acne is to take modest doses starting first thing in the morning, but cutting it off by afternoon. If you're not getting the 9-10 hours of deep nightly sleep evolution designed us to get, though, caffeine may simply be irrelevant since there won't be enough nightly melatonin to matter one way or another.

but I thought green tea is supposed to be good for acne!?? What if you drink decaf green tea??

Tea as with alot of other things makes my brain turn into a scrambled albiet perfect, egg.

Tea, especially green tea, has a beep load of antioxidants and is really good for you. Then you hear what other users posts and it makes you think otherwise. I guess you could have decaffinated tea? Decaf needs to be AT LEAST 97% free from caffeine to be labeled that so you can be sure you're safe. You're drinking something nice, benefiting from the antioxidants and not consuming caffeine.

I might be missing something though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I still drink green tea.

Can people post here if tea has benefited them with their acne or red marks before and what kind of tea and possibly brand they drank?

I'm just starting to look into this tea thing and came across 4 possible choices =/ The more I read though, the more confused I'll get am sure, as there's such much contradicting info D:

Green tea seems to be the most popular, but then I oolong could possibly be a better choice and then there's white tea and rooibos and I DUNNO WHAT TO DO! =[

Black tea always makes me break out. Herbal, caffeine free doesn't. Green tea is caffeine free so I don't see why it would break anyone out.

Black tea always makes me break out. Herbal, caffeine free doesn't. Green tea is caffeine free so I don't see why it would break anyone out.

wtf? green tea has caffeine

drink rooibus tea , it has no caffeine and has helped my complexion and some people say it has helped their acne

Edited by booyah

I'm pretty sure Green Tea has caffeine in it, you could just grab the decaffeinated one. However, does anyone think this would be less beneficial? Anyway I might go grab some decaf ...

yes!! It definitely has caffeine in it. I drank 2 cups last night and couldn't sleep til 5. I also just found out what the tea my family keeps drinking is, and its oolong tea!! Which I been reading is better than green tea =/ The only thing oolong tea has done for me is stain my teeth a little bit before...

I'm gonna give green tea and rooibos tea a try then. Rooibos isn't really tea btw, it's a herb. but no body here probably cares D:

Green tea seems to be the most popular, but then I oolong could possibly be a better choice and then there's white tea and rooibos and I DUNNO WHAT TO DO! =[

Why? Just drink a variety but avoid caffeine from afternoon onward. It's not that complicated.

Because he/she wants to know the best possible product. If there's a way to better yourself you'd want to do it wouldn't you? They're not worried about caffeine and it's affect on sleeping patterns, but more about the detrimental impacts (for example: zinc depletion).