Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joga

Tips on starting a healthy diet

Excluding my food intake over the holidays, I consider my diet pretty healthy and excercise numerous days a week. With the holiday season coming to an end soon, im planning to begin a healthy diet to see if there is any link between my diet and acne. So, I was just wondering such foods I should eat for breakfast and lunch, and snacks. (I typically have a very healthy dinner so im not too worried about that). Also, what foods should I stay away from??

Id like to follow a strict consistent diet for a while and see how it goes!!!

Im a huge fan of chickpeas and im aware they are very healthy, containing zinc, protein and more. You think having a chickpea salad for lunch everyday with maybe some sort of meat would be ideal?? Any more ideas?

Edited by joga

I'm also changing my diet in big ways starting in the new year. I plan to basically eat alot of green vegetables and certain meat. I think no sugar is key.

Dude thats what i have for lunch everyday!

-Half an avocado, chickpeas, salad, red peppers, cucumber, apple, grilled chicken breast,

-2 tablespoons of EVOO mixed with acv,

-Slice of 100% whole wheat sprouted grain organic bread with 1 tablespoon of organic all natural almond butter

-Some stemed vegetables.

Im aware that's like 1200 calories but im on a weight gain diet and gained 26 lbs in 2 months :)

If you want more tips or recipes just ask!

thanks for the info!

Are chickpeas fatening??

chickpeas are a bean and loaded with fiber. Studies have suggested diets high in fiber aid weight loss.

So, I highly doubt they'll cause you to fatten up.

Yeah, that's a good lunch, but it would be best if you buy dried beans to soak overnight and cook yourself to reduce lectins and phytates and make more nutrients bio-available. If you use canned beans which are rarely soaked, be sure to rinse them very well to wash away some of the lectins that got released into the water during cooking.

For breakfast, try oatmeal with berries and/nuts no sugar, sweet potatoes with cinnamon or cayenne pepper, toast or french toast made with the sprouted grain bread Adam mentioned. Yogurt with fruit and nuts. I've recently added brown rice cooked in coconut milk to my breakfast repertoire. I top it with a small banana, nuts and seeds. Love it. The sweet potatoes are probably the most beneficial though.

Also make stir frys, curries, and soup with things like onions, garlic, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, etc.

Avoid anything you have an intolerance for, of course. True Nuts, dairy, wheat and soy are the most common causes of food intolerance.

Limit sugar and high GI foods and never have them alone, always with a meal full of low GI foods with fiber, fat and protein.

And if you look into the Food and recipe thread pinned under important topics, you'll find tons of threads with recipes and suggestions on what to eat.

Good luck.

I buy organic sprouted chickpeas canned in water

That ok??

Yeah, that's probably even better assuming they rinsed them frequently as you usually do when sprouting things. But it would be way cheaper buy dried beans and sprout them yourself.

Edited by alternativista

Seems like the most current research points to processed sugar and simple carbs as being the culprit to weight gain and acne. Everyone is different of course. Your body needs good fats. Try to eat whole foods and stay away from boxed and canned goods. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store as the middle isles typically have the processed foods. I try to purchase fresh produce but keep frozen on hand too.

I love chickpeas too. I typically eat hummus and whole wheat/grain flat bread for breakfast. It's easily accessible and nutritious. Hummus is so easy to make too. If I'm not running late, I'll whip up a green smoothie.

For lunch: buy a whole roasted chicken and make salads with it all week. Make your own salad dressing with EVOO and organic apple cider vinegar as a base.

Alternavista gave you some excellent recommendations.

chickpeas are a bean and loaded with fiber. Studies have suggested diets high in fiber aid weight loss.

So, I highly doubt they'll cause you to fatten up.

lol i love that line "studies have suggested"

you can get fat on anything if you eat enough of it, it's just harder to get fat on some things than others

but chickpeas are probably pretty good for you

if you're trying to lose weight just eat at a deficit and the fat will come off

Benefits from EVOO are

- The high amount of momounsaturated fat

- Taste

- High content of antioxidative substances

- Protects against heart disease

there is so much more

Not a bother kid :)

BTW I think we use EVOO so much is because of its relatively low omega 6 count as compared to other oils as well as vegetable oils being highly inflammatory