Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ballsoftitanium

The warrior diet.

Has anyone tried this?

I'm posting this because it seems like it would really help your skin.

Basically the idea is to eat nothing or next to nothing during the day and have one big meal in the evening.

Kinda like intermittent fasting but a little more extreme. Instead of fasting for 16 and eating for 8 you fast for 20-22 hrs and have one big meal, or eat as much as you want for an hour or 2.

A lot of people here seem to think insulin may play a big role in acne and inflammation and i think they might be onto something there. This diet addresses the problem of insulin insensitivity by suggesting that the less often you eat the less often insulin is secreted and this gives your body a chance to regain it's sensitivity to this important hormone.

I did this once by accident. But not only did i cut out food, i also cut out the water unless my throat was dry. the next day after like 10hrs of sleep, my face looked refreshed yay

i basicly eat once a day, people say ima get sick wen im older.. wud you call this a fasting diet?

i dont bother with breakfast cause it makes me sick, always has... not usually up for lunch either, lol but i make it for dinner ;)

also, sleep is very important... anything less than 6 hours does not revitalize your hormones well as studies have shown

i try for 7-8hours

also, there is a difference if one sleeps during the daytime vs moontime... night is much more beneficial

Im sorry but that wud only spike your blood sugar levels and binge eating(yes its binge eating) only makes acne worse.

trust me have meals regularly thoroughout the day to balance your blood sugar levels!!

You can try it but come back to us with the results :D

so what if it spikes? where do you think it is spiking from? doh

and no, it aint the same thing as binge eating but it isn't intermittent fasting either.

Edited by soosyv

I think the idea is that while it spikes your blood sugar levels, it does so at one time rather than throughout the day, leading to less inflammation. It gives your body more time to rest and repair as well.

I can't see how it would possibly hurt, just as long as you don't eat too much. If you eat once a day that doesn't mean you can cram a full breakfast + lunch + dinner into one meal. That would make things much worse than spaced apart meals. Just eat until you're full. Anyway, try it and report your results, I think they would be positive.

it makes sense but i dunno how i would feel about fasting througout the day, my mom makes me dinner and would sooner die than let me go hungry :lol:

Im sorry but that wud only spike your blood sugar levels and binge eating(yes its binge eating) only makes acne worse.

trust me have meals regularly thoroughout the day to balance your blood sugar levels!!

I must follow a healthy diet to keep my blood sugar balanced

Sometimes I eat just once a day and that keeps my blood sugar balanced as well as eating more often. To have a big blood sugar spike you would need to eat all the food for the say in few minutes, but when you eat only dinner your meal lasts at least 1 hour. You don't cram 2 pounds of foods at once, you slowly consume your food. As far as insulin is concerned, what matters is just the total amount of food and carbs in a day, not how many meals you eat.

Binge eating is when you eat food unconsciously, fast and shoving food down your throat.

But when you eat once a day you don't need to binge: you just eat in one meal what you would have eaten in that meal plus what you would have eaten at lunch and breakfast. You eat consciously and slowly, savouring the food thoroughly and listening to your body.

If you eat once a day that doesn't mean you can cram a full breakfast + lunch + dinner into one meal.

That's the idea actually :)

That's a typical meal I might have in a day of warrior diet:

salad

stir-fried zucchini

1 avocado

a cup of green beans

1 steak

1 sausage

3 eggs

2 cups of lentils

1 slice of toast

2 thicks slice of cheese

3 tbs of olive oil

2 cups of greek yogurt

10 walnuts

Edited by Danny©

that's not really the way it works

when you have multiple meals in one day your insulin is all over the place, when you have one meal your insulin spikes only once and levels off for the rest of the day until the next time you eat in about 21-22 hrs

it also depends on the kind of food you eat, this diet advocates lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and lots of meat fish, berries, nuts and pretty much anything else that can be found in nature

this diet gives your body a chance to establish normal insulin metabolism, so instead of getting 3, 4, 5 or 6 spikes in one day you have only one and this leads to much more stable hormone levels all across the board

that's not really the way it works

when you have multiple meals in one day your insulin is all over the place, when you have one meal your insulin spikes only once and levels off for the rest of the day until the next time you eat in about 21-22 hrs

it also depends on the kind of food you eat, this diet advocates lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and lots of meat fish, berries, nuts and pretty much anything else that can be found in nature

this diet gives your body a chance to establish normal insulin metabolism, so instead of getting 3, 4, 5 or 6 spikes in one day you have only one and this leads to much more stable hormone levels all across the board

I just dont see how eating once a day and depriving you body of food for that long is good for your overall health.

I just dont see how eating once a day and depriving you body of food for that long is good for your overall health.

Well, your body doesn't need food around the clock.

What you eat now is absorbed hours later and your blood sugar is supposed to stay even for hours after eating and after that you have glycogen from the liver while at rest your body burns fat.

There's no difference in nutrition obtained by the body from either one big meal or many meals, numbers of meals is irrelevant in that sense.

There are MANY ways to do Intermittent Fasts.

there's tons of research out there for the benefits of it.

There's a book called "Eat Stop Eat" that you can look into as well.

Here's a site that talks about IF as well.

As for the Warrior Diet...That's just one step short of 24 hour fasting.

You may want to start slow with 8-10 hour fasts and work up to larger fasts that skip 2 meals (warrior diet). Then do that once a week before slowly working up to eating only one meal a day everyday.

Give your body (and cravings!) time to adapt.

The way I eat (mostly paleo), I can comfortably skip breakfast and even lunch a 2-3 times a week and not skip a beat. Haven't tried a 24 hour fast yet, nor have I gone more than two days in a row following the "warrior diet". But i'm sure i could successfully test that out in the future if i felt like it.

I think if you eat healthy food during that one big meal than it should work fine. As long as your getting all your nutrients for that day it should be fine. The whole 6 small meals a day that is constantly recomended is not realistic for most working people. I think its good for our digestive tracts to have a break once in a while:) Besides it takes several hours to process most foods. I do better with about 3 meals a day. But when I am sick I rather eat only once :D

I have actually read some articles related to this. It is based on parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) and sympathetic nervous system (SNS) manipulation. When you wake up and eat breakfast, you jump out of PSNS and go into SNS, which also shuts down detoxification (occurring normally while you sleep). For sure this is the way we ate through out our evolution, some fruit/nuts snacks during the day and a big meal at night.

I have actually read some articles related to this. It is based on parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) and sympathetic nervous system (SNS) manipulation. When you wake up and eat breakfast, you jump out of PSNS and go into SNS, which also shuts down detoxification (occurring normally while you sleep). For sure this is the way we ate through out our evolution, some fruit/nuts snacks during the day and a big meal at night.

I've heard this as well.

I've heard that since fruits are the "easiest to digest" by the body, you could start with those as your first meal and possibly not leave PSNS, allowing your body to continue detoxing even hours after you've awakened.

Of course those worried about acne should look for low sugar fruits.

There were times when I'd start my day with a green smoothie or even just some stevia sweetened lemon juice. Felt fine energy wise for many hours.

I used to drink green smoothies as well every morning to keep the body focusing of detoxification rather than digestion. This was great energy wise but i lost so much weight i had to stop. Great idea for anyone not trying to gain weight. Happy new year everyone!

I have read that you should eat small meals over the course of the day to level your blood sugar. If you wait a long time to eat, your blood sugar will lower and in return, you'll get sluggish and feel tired or even grumpy.