Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
etherealbeats

Water Kefir and Acne

Hi,

I am 19, I have suffered from mild acne for a couple of years. A few months ago I started fermenting my own water kefir, one of the main reasons was after hearing from a few sources about how it can help acne. After a while drinking it I suffered a breakout and my mum is sure it is as a result of drinking the Kefir.

Since breaking out I have started the regimen, I am looking forward to seeing the results.

I cannot find a huge amount of information about kefir and acne, so what I want to know is does anyone know anything about water kefir and the effects it may have on acne due the bacteria in it? I am reluctant to stop drinking it due to the many health benefits it offers.

Thanks.

Interesting how do i go about making water keifer??

Your need to start by getting the grains. I live in England and they are available on eBay UK.

Have a read of the attached PDF for some useful information.

water_kefir.pdf

Edited by etherealbeats

Water kefir involves grains and yeast, if I'm not mistaken. If you suffer from candida - which you may or may not - it's most likely feeding the yeast and causing breakouts.

There have been studies suggesting acne in correlation with glycemic index and load. I'm not sure of the index or load of kefir water, but the amount and types of carbs in it might be giving you more acne.

This is just my take on it.

Water kefir involves grains and yeast, if I'm not mistaken. If you suffer from candida - which you may or may not - it's most likely feeding the yeast and causing breakouts.

There have been studies suggesting acne in correlation with glycemic index and load. I'm not sure of the index or load of kefir water, but the amount and types of carbs in it might be giving you more acne.

Interesting thanks. I don't think I suffer from Candida but I have been looking into cutting many of the foods associated with Candida out of my diet, just to be a bit more healthy. I might try stopping the water Kefir due to the sugar it is fermented in and maybe fermenting milk kefir instead.

The yeast in kefir is actually supposed to compete with candida albicans, not feed it.

One possibility you might want to look at is that you are allergic to yeast.