Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purple1123

My Accutane/Amnesteem Journal

post-118866-1262126523_thumb.jpgpost-118866-1262126532_thumb.jpg

Hi! My name is Nicole. I'm starting my Accutane journey TODAY! My dose is 40 mg/day.

I am a 30 year old female with severe endometriosis. The Lupron injection I use to control the endo. aggravates my mild acne into very cystic acne. I have tried Retin-A micro, Ziana, Benzoclin, Cleocin, Epiduo, tetracycline, Doryx...and nothing has worked. I can't wait to see the Accutane work!

I'm all ready to go. When I went to CVS to get my prescription, I stocked up on all the necessities:

~Cetaphil gentle cleanser

~Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 15

~Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with SPF 15 (I LOVE cocoa butter!)

~Aquaphor

~Blistex Complete Moisture with SPF 15

~Rewetting eye drops for when I'm wearing contacts

~Lubricant eye drops for when I'm not wearing contacts

~Saline nasal spray

~Vitamin E supplements

~Vitamin E oil

Do I need anything else???

I take vitamins/fiber/acidophilus in the morning. I'm planning to take my Accutane (amnesteem) at night when I take my other prescriptions (zoloft for endo. pain, a hormone to reduce side effects of my Lupron injection, and Zyrtec).

post-118866-1262126523_thumb.jpg

post-118866-1262126532_thumb.jpg

My doctor said no topical treatments...

That's going to be hard! I've been using spot treatments and other topicals for like 18 years! Should I keep using my epiduo and/or cleocin for a few days...or cut them out cold turkey? I'd love to hear what others did.

My doctor said no topical treatments...

That's going to be hard! I've been using spot treatments and other topicals for like 18 years! Should I keep using my epiduo and/or cleocin for a few days...or cut them out cold turkey? I'd love to hear what others did.

My derm gave me 0.025% tretinoin (which is retin-A in the states i think?) to "help" with the initial breakouts. He forget to tell me tretinoin by itself also causes an IB :( I was on Dan's regimen of BP and AHA lotion before going on the tane, my derm basically told me to stop everything. The BP ends up irritating the skin = more breakouts and AHA is an exfoliant which is a no no since my skin would be quite thin because of the tretinoin.

About the cleocin/epiduo treatment that you do, the epiduo has benzoyl peroxide which i think you should avoid. Cleocin being antibacterial probably would be ok for spot treatment. Im currently using 1% hydrogen peroxide cream for my active spots which help a lot especially for the pustules i have been getting. Right now Day 12 for me isnt going well, 5 actives and lots of tiny pustules and red, irritatated face, but ive noticed (as well as other people in this forum) that lesions tend to resolve quicker. And of course considerably less oily than when i started:)

Keep us updated on your progress!!!!!!

My derm gave me 0.025% tretinoin (which is retin-A in the states i think?) to "help" with the initial breakouts. He forget to tell me tretinoin by itself also causes an IB :( I was on Dan's regimen of BP and AHA lotion before going on the tane, my derm basically told me to stop everything. The BP ends up irritating the skin = more breakouts and AHA is an exfoliant which is a no no since my skin would be quite thin because of the tretinoin.

About the cleocin/epiduo treatment that you do, the epiduo has benzoyl peroxide which i think you should avoid. Cleocin being antibacterial probably would be ok for spot treatment. Im currently using 1% hydrogen peroxide cream for my active spots which help a lot especially for the pustules i have been getting. Right now Day 12 for me isnt going well, 5 actives and lots of tiny pustules and red, irritatated face, but ive noticed (as well as other people in this forum) that lesions tend to resolve quicker. And of course considerably less oily than when i started:)

Keep us updated on your progress!!!!!!

Thanks for your advice! Are you going to keep using the tretinoin? It's pretty drying/irritating by itself. I'll have to look into a hydrogen peroxide cream. The cleocin has an alcohol base, which is very drying. I hope your IB improves soon! Good luck! :-)

hey i'm taking amnesteem too!

on day 25... so far so good haha. i hope everything goes well for you too! nice job stocking up on everything ;) i still need to adjust some of the products i use lol

hey i'm taking amnesteem too!

on day 25... so far so good haha. i hope everything goes well for you too! nice job stocking up on everything ;) i still need to adjust some of the products i use lol

Good luck to you, Sparkley! Having any side effects yet? What products do you use?

Good luck to you, Sparkley! Having any side effects yet? What products do you use?

well i never changed anything when i started taking the medication. i still use noxema lol, but its starting to be a little TOO tingly :P i hear cetaphil works good though...

oh and i guess i would count today as day 2. even though it's probably just starting to do its thing today haha but still. :D

i usually take mine in the morning just so i dont forget, but even then, sometimes i still do!

Edited by sparkley

well i never changed anything when i started taking the medication. i still use noxema lol, but its starting to be a little TOO tingly :P i hear cetaphil works good though...

oh and i guess i would count today as day 2. even though it's probably just starting to do its thing today haha but still. :D

i usually take mine in the morning just so i dont forget, but even then, sometimes i still do!

I just started using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser a couple weeks ago...in preparation for the Accutane. I like it. My skin feels very soft after I wash. It doesn't suds up like most cleansers, though. I would recommend it!

You're taking Amnesteem once a day, right? Your Day 1 was the 29th... Just like mine :D

Notice anything different yet? I haven't. I didn't take a pill last night...for 2 reasons. One is that my next appointment is on the 29th, which means I would have had to skip a day sometime anyway. The other is that I drank alcohol for NYE. I didn't think I should combine the two.

Yeah, def. not a good idea to drink on Accutane. I'm not really noticing anything different, either. My skin is starting to break out a little bit more, nothing major.

Day 5...nothing really to report yet. I'm beginning to think the spot on my cheek will never heal. It's been there for over 3 weeks now. I guess if I leave it alone, it might make more progress. I've been sleeping with a hydrocolloid band-aid over it. I wish it were possible to leave the band-aid on for 3 days...where nobody will see me and where I don't have to go anywhere. Then I'd definitely leave it alone and it could really heal. In a perfect world....

Oh wait! I'm having a side effect now. I noticed while I was in the shower that the corners of my mouth are cracking. Aquaphor, do your thing!

I'm going to meet a guy at Starbuck's later. I met him online, and this will be our first in-person meeting. I hate meeting someone new with a big spot on my cheek. I'm also not sure I want to get involved with someone, knowing that all these side effects will be happening soon. How do I explain that without making someone run? LOL! I jokingly tell my friends that I should place a personal ad with all my baggage as my headline: "30 year old infertile divorcee in menopause with acne seeks companion." Oh yeah! That oughta bring out some real winners! LOL!

Edited by purple1123

Purple,

Your posts are too funny. Good on ya for meeting the guy at Starbucks! My mom keeps telling me I am my own worse critic and I'm sure this is true in your case too.

You are my hero as i haven't been on a date since all this acne stuff started up. Keep meeting the best guys lately too! Hope they are still around once accutane kicks in and my face starts the healing process.

Take Care!

Sarah

You're taking Amnesteem once a day, right? Your Day 1 was the 29th... Just like mine :D

Notice anything different yet? I haven't. I didn't take a pill last night...for 2 reasons. One is that my next appointment is on the 29th, which means I would have had to skip a day sometime anyway. The other is that I drank alcohol for NYE. I didn't think I should combine the two.

my appt. is Jan. 8th, and i have 3 pills left haha. so i'm gonna miss a few days :\ oh well. do you have to get a blood test every month?

oh and i'll try cetaphil, thanks! :)

post-118866-1262475705_thumb.jpg

Ready for my "date!" Here is a pic WITH make-up. I use Bare Minerals...but I start with Smashbox Photo Finish Light primer. After buffing on my foundation, I use Physician's Formula concealer on my spots, then I use a concealer brush to tap BM foundation over the spots. I also tap mineral veil over the spots before I sweep mineral veil over my whole face. That generally does the trick...thank goodness!!!

post-118866-1262475705_thumb.jpg

Edited by purple1123

lucky that girls can wear make-up, us men can't, well technically we can but you know what i mean :D. You look great btw, doesnt look like you have acne at all!

Gosh, your skin looks flawless in that pic, awesome job! Wish I could do my makeup like that!

Thanks! I wish it looked that smooth in person. My large pores, attempt to cover up the big spots on my cheek and chin, and shininess definitely didn't come through in the photo. I have read that people on accutane develop "poreless" skin on their noses and such. I hope that happens to us!!

lucky that girls can wear make-up, us men can't, well technically we can but you know what i mean :D. You look great btw, doesnt look like you have acne at all!

Yeah, I really feel for guys with acne. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't cover up my acne and large pores! How is your skin doing?