Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joga

my accutane experience thus far

So im currently on week 11, after decided once and for all I want to try and put an end to my fight with acne. I entered the cycle with mild (sometimes a bit moderate) acne. Thus far my complexion has fluctuated rather than having one initial breakout. Some weeks all be almost completely clear, than the next I will breakout a little bit. I have been experiencing numerous side effects but they are all tolerable. With this being said, im hoping for a great end result!

All this is besides the main problem that has been occuring.

Since being on accutane my social life has taken a complete turn around. First entering accutane I held off telling my close friends I was on it, not so much for the embarrasment factor but I just would have liked to complete the cycle without having to tell them. This plan soon diminshed as they began wondering why I wasnt going out with them to bars, and other places. My reasoning for not going out was because im unable to consume alcohol but mainly because I began to become extremely self conscious of my complexion. As a result I began to spend lots of time alone and with other friends of mine which prefer the more laid back and chill lifestyle. I finally decided to tell my close friends.

The problem is that ive become virtually unable to go and hang out with my other friends because im just worried that my complexion will be constantly judged and analyzed when with them and other people. (they have definately told others). Its not that I have bad acne at all, just the fact that alot of people know im on accutane combined with the fact im still self conscious about my acne has made be unable to spend time with them. Im not sure if all this can be attributed to the drug, I just wish I wouldnt have told them anything at all...

They have been wondering where ive been as I havent seen them in 1-2 months and I always make excuses when invited somewhere or asked to do something. Its like I want to wait till im done my cycle and completely clear (hopefully) and have regained all my confidence to begin spending time with them again...

What do you think I should do and about the whole situation????

Edited by joga

So im currently on week 11, after decided once and for all I want to try and put an end to my fight with acne. I entered the cycle with mild (sometimes a bit moderate) acne. Thus far my complexion has fluctuated rather than having one initial breakout. Some weeks all be almost completely clear, than the next I will breakout a little bit. I have been experiencing numerous side effects but they are all tolerable. With this being said, im hoping for a great end result!

All this is besides the main problem that has been occuring.

Since being on accutane my social life has taken a complete turn around. First entering accutane I held off telling my close friends I was on it, not so much for the embarrasment factor but I just would have liked to complete the cycle without having to tell them. This plan soon diminshed as they began wondering why I wasnt going out with them to bars, and other places. My reasoning for not going out was because im unable to consume alcohol but mainly because I began to become extremely self conscious of my complexion. As a result I began to spend lots of time alone and with other friends of mine which prefer the more laid back and chill lifestyle. I finally decided to tell my close friends.

The problem is that ive become virtually unable to go and hang out with my other friends because im just worried that my complexion will be constantly judged and analyzed when with them and other people. (they have definately told others). Its not that I have bad acne at all, just the fact that alot of people know im on accutane combined with the fact im still self conscious about my acne has made be unable to spend time with them. Im not sure if all this can be attributed to the drug, I just wish I wouldnt have told them anything at all...

They have been wondering where ive been as I havent seen them in 1-2 months and I always make excuses when invited somewhere or asked to do something. Its like I want to wait till im done my cycle and completely clear (hopefully) and have regained all my confidence to begin spending time with them again...

What do you think I should do and about the whole situation????

do not let accutane stop you from hanging out with your friends! your real friends shouldn't be judging your skin or your choice of treatment anyway. when I took my first course everyone I told about it said they knew someone who took it and their skin was amazing. accutane is pretty common especially these days. Don't wait- go out and live now! bask in the glory of knowing that accutane will clear your skin. honestly we are our own worst critiques.

I don't think you should be embarassed/uncomfortable that people know. You're doing something about your acne and there's nothing wrong with that. I know how uncomfortable it can be out in public when your face is red and sore but you can't let it control your life.

Ya I understand, but it is tuff to do so when your so self conscious...but I will eventually recover from this. What im more worried about is the fact ive lost so much incentive to do things I once loved doing...

I get that you are self conscious and I know how hard that can be but don’t cut your friends off like this. IF you judge you, they aren’t worth knowing. I get that you don't want to go to bars cause you're not drinking but what about if you offer to be the designated driver or something? That way you can still go out with your friends, have a good night and an valid excuse not to drink (Not that you don't already). Not to mention you have the satisfaction of knowing everyone gets home safely and been the only sober one that can remember everyone else's embarrassing drunk moments. The hardest thing to do when you're self conscious and worried about the way you look is taking that first step out the door but in most cases once you're out having fun, you forget your own insecurities and enjoy yourself. I wish you the best of luck, I hope accutane works for you.

I agree with every poster on here.. I still go out with my friends and my skin is probably worse now then it was 2 months ago, but I am still a confident person just because that is my personality, and you will see that learning to be confident in all situations will take you very far in life, especially with women and careers.

I do not understand why you would be embarrassed that you are taking accutane, I do not find anything embarrassing about taking a medication. I know many people who take medicine for depression ect. and they are not embarrassed when they have mentioned it to me.. It is a fact of life people take medications, there is nothing socially wrong with accutane unless you are out causing problems due to aggression or putting someone else in danger, which you are obviously not

So I finally gained the willpower to turn my social life back to where is was prior too accutane, but I still dont go to bars for obvious reasons. The thing thats begun to worry me most now is the roscea/facial flushing factor. Obviously I have my mind set on the hopeful end result when im done my cycle, but the facial redness is, and always has been the thing thats bothered me most (since being on accutane). Not exactly sure if I do indeed have roscea but I will find this out eventually. I found that a bit prior to accutane, when I began to become more self-conscious about my complexion, my face would flush when around people, and im assuming this is due to embarrasment/overwhelmed. I also find my face flushes when im hot.

Basically my whole outlook on the situation is that if accutane does its job (eliminates the acne) than I will no longer be self-conscious or embarrassed, resulting to no more flushing. Im at least hoping this is the case. Also, im hoping that if I do indeed suffer from some form of roscea, that the accutane will cure this a bit.

But anyway, do you find that you flush more in hot summer climates or less?? And does accutane help with roscea??

thanks

Edited by joga

So I finally gained the willpower to turn my social life back to where is was prior too accutane, but I still dont go to bars for obvious reasons. The thing thats begun to worry me most now is the roscea/facial flushing factor. Obviously I have my mind set on the hopeful end result when im done my cycle, but the facial redness is, and always has been the thing thats bothered me most (since being on accutane). Not exactly sure if I do indeed have roscea but I will find this out eventually. I found that a bit prior to accutane, when I began to become more self-conscious about my complexion, my face would flush when around people, and im assuming this is due to embarrasment/overwhelmed. I also find my face flushes when im hot.

Basically my whole outlook on the situation is that if accutane does its job (eliminates the acne) than I will no longer be self-conscious or embarrassed, resulting to no more flushing. Im at least hoping this is the case. Also, im hoping that if I do indeed suffer from some form of roscea, that the accutane will cure this a bit.

But anyway, do you find that you flush more in hot summer climates or less?? And does accutane help with roscea??

thanks

Accutane is sometimes prescribed for roscea. My face is often red from Accutane too. It's starting to seep through my makeup and people are telling me my face looks inflamed. But it's just a temporary side effect and the redness and flushing will go away once you stop taking Accutane.

Flushing and redness is not a temporary side effect, for some maybe...

Joga-please see the link in the roseca thread, If you had roseca to begin with for some yes low dose accutane 10/20mg can help roseca patients, however it can also worsen roseca and for people without roseca it can cause roseca.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Post-Accu...20#entry2783973