Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaLaLanolium

My Amnesteem Journey

Hello All. I am a 21 year old female. I have been suffering from acne since I was approximately 12 years old. While I have had some years of clearness, the acne always comes back. I have moderately severe cystic acne that scars even though I don't pick at my skin. I am sick of dealing with this, so I've finally decided to take the plunge and go on Isotretinoin. I picked up my prescription today and plan to begin taking the pills tomorrow. I'm excited to finally be starting this medication and regret not doing it sooner.

Edited by squarielariel

I'm using amnesteem too and will be blogging on my progress if that will help give you some perspective as you start! I'm on my 18th day of 40 mg/day and I think everything is going well so far! Good Luck!

I'm starting Amnesteem today too! I'm 30, so I totally understand your frustration. I'm only starting with 40 mg per day. I wish you the best in your journey. Looks like we'll be journeying together!

Thanks Purple and Sarah, I wish the same to the both of you! It's good to know I'm not on this journy alone :-) But knowing you have both started at 40mg makes me even more nervous about starting at 80mg! I weigh 118 lbs., and while I hate my skin and think it looks awful most of the time, I know there are people who have it worse than me. At the same time, I think the higher the dose, the better the chance this stuff will finally clear my skin once in for all, so I'll try not to worry too much. I took my first pill this morning at 7am, and my second pill at 6pm. The only thing I noticed during the day was that my tongue felt a little dry, but that could just be in my head. My lips are always dry, so I can't imagine how bad they are going to get... I started washing my face with Mary Kay Timewise Creamy Cleanser and moisturized with Cetiphyl Moisturizer this morning. I also purchased some Aveeno Moisturizer for my body and face,eye drops, and that Aquaphor that so many people have been raving about.

Edited by squarielariel

Thanks Thirty&Hopeful! It's very exciting to finally have started this treatment. When do you start?

I think I figured out how to upload pics! These are from this morning. Day three, no major side effects to report. My hands are actually softer than usual because I've been using hand cream as a preventive measure, which I usually don't do. My lips are chapped, but they are usually like this in the winter. I think the creamy cleanser I've been using is nice, if I was using a non creamy cleanser my skin would prob be a little dry by now even if I wasn't on amnesteem (because of the weather). I suppose it is a bit early for major side effects, eh? My skin isn't terrible at the moment, probably looks worse in life than the pics... but a lot of what you are seeing here is old scarring. I won't even bother to show you my forehead because it's clear at the moment. I had a little pimple on my nose two days ago, but it's pretty much gone now. Quick turn over like that usually never happens for me. Could it be from the Amnesteem? Is it from being on birth control? Not sure.

Edited by squarielariel

Day 4 Still no major side effects. My skin may be breaking out a tad, but nothing major yet. Nothing painful. I thought my skin was looking a littler pinker than usual, but my fiance said he doesn't notice any difference.

Every day I wake up wondering, is this the day the major dryness will start? The day my nose will bleed? The day my hair will start falling out? I am not dreading these things... I'm so excited to finally be on isotretinoin that I'm looking forward to SOMEthiNg happening.

And I still can't believe I've actually started this medication. I have some stitches in that are due to be removed on Monday. I didn't think my dermatologist would let me start the meds until after the stitches were out, but she said I should be fine. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Day 5: My lips are feeling more chapped than usual today. I feel happy about this :)

I've noticed my mood has improved since I started taking Amnesteem. I felt extra motivated today, bought some organizational supplies and organized all of my closets. I don't think the mood change is a side effect of the drug, it's just that I feel hopeful about my skin and my future for the first time in a long time.

Day 7: I survived week 1! My lips sure are feeling dry, but it's nothing I can't handle (yet!). I have a terrible habit of picking at my lips when they are chapped, they were stinging when I washed my face but they feel better now. I need to learn to control myself! My skin is breaking out a bit. And my face/scalp are kinda itchy. Other than that, I feel fine. And my mood is excellent. Edited by squarielariel

u are a beautiful girl - i hope the accutane is your answer!!!

Heres to spending the next 6 months focusing on yourself, being extra healthy and letting the accutane do its thing. I start in a few weeks and Im desperately hoping that things will turn around

Just think, a summer without having to worry about your skin!!! Good luck, I hope you have great success - Ill continue to follow you as we are both 28year old girls with similar acne. I should be starting Jan 18th but I am not holding my breath - i suppose to start about 2 weeks ago and they never entered my stuff into ipledge!

Day 8: Lips still dry. Skin on tip of nose starting to dry a bit too. Nothing crazy or severe, all manageable with creams/lip balm.

Thank you readytosmile.... That sux that they didn't enter you're ipledge info! I tried to log onto the site after my last derm appointment, then realized i didn't have a user name or password (your derm has to register your account). I called my derm's office and explained the problem, they asked if I ever received a password in the mail? I told them I hadn't. They advised me to call ipledge, which I did... a nice lady gave me my user name and password. I logged on, took the test and got the meds that evening.

With all this ipledge nonsense, I decided to switch my pharmacy to my local grocery store, they participate in the program.

Edited by squarielariel

Day 14: I believe I'm beginning to notice an improvement in my skin's tone/complexion! My Lip dryness is still alive and well. The skin on my chin is a bit dry. And a few days ago my leg muscles began to ache... Mostly when I'm laying down or sitting. It almost feels like the body aches I get when I have a fever.... only I don't have a fever, so I'm assuming it's a side effect of the pills.

Just wanted to stop by and wish you lots of luck with your treatment! :) OH, and please tell me that is Ramona Quimby in your default pic. !!!

Just wanted to stop by and wish you lots of luck with your treatment! :) OH, and please tell me that is Ramona Quimby in your default pic. !!!

Thanks Mallory! And yea, that's Romana Quimby :-)

Just wanted to say good luck! I'm only on Day 4, but I love knowing what to expect in the days ahead by reading other people's logs.

Day 18: Lips are still pretty dry, but other than that I'm doing great. No more muscle aches (I've been making sure to drink more water - I believe that helps). Two days ago, my supervisor complimented me on my skin and said it looked like it was "glowing" (I was wearing make-up). My guy and mom have also noticed an improvement. Red scars are SLOWLY fading, I think. I also have pitted scars, which I'm afraid are here to stay. My hair texture seems to be changing a bit - feels a little drier than usual... not as oily. And I can actually go two days without washing my hair, and it doesn't get greasy! Edited by squarielariel

Day 23: It hasn't even been a month yet, but I def. am noticing an improvement. I have a few actives, mostly under my jawline, but skin keeps getting better and better. Skin texture feels a little rubbery at times. Lips are still pretty darn chapped. My hair is still feeling dry, but I view this as a positive at this point. I feel pretty tired, but other than that I feel great :-) So strange that this drug has made such a difference in such a short amount of time...have I been suffering from a Vitamin A deficiency or something??!

Hi~Just checking to see how things have been going for you in the past week. Any more improvements? I am starting day 8 and am really hoping to see some improvement soon. Seems to be getting worse right now though.

I've been on amnesteen for a little over a month and i'm doing really well on the meds, much better than I expected. I did get four break outs right before my period ( 5 days ago), but overall my skin looking much better than it did and I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about these being on this medication. My dermatologist told me I should probably stop getting new breakouts after i've been on the meds for two months. She is going to keep me on 80mg the entire 6 months. The worst side effect for me has been the chapped lips, I find Carmex chap stick helps the most, but blistex works pretty well too... i have to reapply frequently. My hair is drier than normal, which i like. I had some dry patches on my right hand, but I started using more moisturizer and it cleared up. Sometime i feel like my skin is itchier than normal in certain areas( like my scalp), but it hasn't been a big problem.

hey wish you luuck on your course while I'm on day 11 :D I'm 16 and struglled with acne ever since I was in 6th grade now I'm in the 10th gtade to where it has gotten out of control and I have scarring just because of the last 2 months. I really do hope the best for you and all that are on the pills tooo. Hopeing to keep you updated too wish me luck :P

Great improvement! You're very beautiful. :D

I just started Accutane today. I've had acne since I was ten. That makes this year my eighth year. I feel like I'm at the end of my fight with acne, and I'm super excited!

Josh - thank you for the good wishes. I hope your treatment goes as well as mine has (so far!). I'm sorry to hear your acne has left you with scars... I know exactly what you're going through... but you're still so young, with time the scars should fade nicely. I think it's great that you've decided to begin this treatment at such a young age.... I wish I would have went on this medication when I was in high school. I hate to think of all the things I stopped myself from doing because I was embarrassed to show my face. You're doing a wonderful thing for yourself and your self esteem... just be healthy and follow your doctor's recommendations.

Jerichoa - Thank you, Thank you! I'm excited for you to begin treatment! My mood has improved immensely since the day I started taking my medication. It's the first time I've felt hopeful about my future in a long long time! Good luck with your treatment!

PrettySpotty - Yeah lol I'm actually pretty thrilled with the results I've had so far. I never dreamed I'd see this much of an improvement in such a short time. The side effects have not been bad at all... chapped/dry lips have been the most annoying, but nothing I can't handle. The skin on my hands has been a little dry & itchy. Other than that, I feel great!