Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tv_viewer

Christine's Accutane Diary

Day 43

I woke up today with 5 lovely, painful pimples. I hope they dry up quickly. I thought I was doing so well and had avoided an initial breakout. I guess not. I'd take photos but I'm too lazy to take off my makeup.

Day 44

My skin is much worse today. I have a few really painful cysts. I'm off sick from work today with a cold so maybe I'm breaking out since I'm sick.

Here are some pictures from today:

Day 44 (sunlight)

Day 44 (artificial light)

Atleast now that I have a breakout maybe my derm will up my dose or extend my course. I'm already freaking out about the possibility of my acne coming back, even though if it does it'll be a few years from now.

Edited by tv_viewer

Good luck at the Derm! Hopefully he'll listen to you and agree that you should up your dosage. Being sick probably isn't helping your skin, I always feel like I look SO much worse when I'm sick. Luckily colds don't last forever and neither will those new pimples :)

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping a log! It's so encouraging to read other people's experiences. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Good luck at the Derm! Hopefully he'll listen to you and agree that you should up your dosage. Being sick probably isn't helping your skin, I always feel like I look SO much worse when I'm sick. Luckily colds don't last forever and neither will those new pimples :)

Thank you :) Yeah it's bad enough having acne but a red nose doesn't help me in the looks department haha.

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping a log! It's so encouraging to read other people's experiences. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Aww no, thank you for commenting!

Thanks for keeping a log, and wow what a difference in your face on the first page you posted with the three pictures, you look fantastic and it really inspired me. I only have 2 more months of this pill so hopefully it works on me like it worked on you!

Thanks for keeping a log, and wow what a difference in your face on the first page you posted with the three pictures, you look fantastic and it really inspired me. I only have 2 more months of this pill so hopefully it works on me like it worked on you!

Thank you :) Good luck, the last 2 months are the best because that's when you really start to see a huge difference and the side effects begin to decrease.

Hey TV Viewer,

How did you lose so much weight during your first course? I honestly feel like I've gained weight since i've gone on it! It sucks! I would love to lose like 7 or 8 pounds without having to punish my joints everyday by running. Oh, and i saw someone up there say something about pro-activ... IT SUCKS. It doesn't work for people that have severe, even moderate acne. It only works for surface pimples. For me at least... it did nothing.

<3

Oh, and you're so pretty!

Edited by lb2

Hey TV Viewer,

How did you lose so much weight during your first course? I honestly feel like I've gained weight since i've gone on it! It sucks! I would love to lose like 7 or 8 pounds without having to punish my joints everyday by running. Oh, and i saw someone up there say something about pro-activ... IT SUCKS. It doesn't work for people that have severe, even moderate acne. It only works for surface pimples. For me at least... it did nothing.

<3

Oh, and you're so pretty!

Hey :)

I started to crave food less and began to keep track of how much I was eating. My weight bothered me as much as my skin so I thought I'd fix that as well. I never exercised but I've always been active as I don't drive and refuse to get my liscense. Just watch your portions and stop eating food that comes in a box, it was pretty easy.

And thanks :)

Day 48

The skin on my cheek is really clearing up and the red marks are starting to fade. I haven't had a new pimple on my left cheek in probably a couple of weeks. I am breaking out in a few cysts all around my jaw line and lower hair line. They hurt a bit but atleast they're not noticeable.

I am starting to feel a bit thinner. I've lost about 2 lbs but I've been eating the same amount. I am avoiding really dry skin but religiously applying moisturiser so so far this course is a lot better than my third. I have been getting some nose bleeds which are probably because I'm getting over a cold.

Yesterday I was brave and went down the street to Shoppers Drug Mart with not a bit of makeup on. I didn't feel very hot but I was trying to push myself. But while there I had a huge nose bleed. Luckily no one was around but I bet I looked a bit sketchy on the security cameras as I was constantly grabbing tissues from the makeup displays. I'm never going out without a bunch of tissues again.

I'm going to my dermatolgists in 2 days and probably it will be a really quick-in and out like always where he puts dry ice on my face and asks if Accutane is making me depressed. I think I should wait until month 4 before I ask to do 5 months. I would ideally like to do 50mg from now on so I can only do 4 months but I don't think he'll let me with how skinny I look.

Here's a picture from right now:

Day 48

Day 50

I regret now saying I haven't been breaking out on my cheeks as this morning there are 6 new cysts on my left cheek.

I went to the derm today and he agreed that my skin is getting worse. He asked me how much I weigh and was about to give me 50mg a day then changed his mind. By the time I got outside I started crying. I know I have to patient but I have very few side effects and think I can handle 10 extra mg.

My face feels so raw and is so bad that I can't even cover it up well. I have 4 layers of makeup on and you can still see purple marks from a distance. I'm trying to remind myself it could be much worse, that my life could be much worse but I can't help from feeling horrible. I'm considering cancelling on my boyfriend tonight because I just feel horrible and want to sit inside with no makeup on.

Day 50

I regret now saying I haven't been breaking out on my cheeks as this morning there are 6 new cysts on my left cheek.

I went to the derm today and he agreed that my skin is getting worse. He asked me how much I weigh and was about to give me 50mg a day then changed his mind. By the time I got outside I started crying. I know I have to patient but I have very few side effects and think I can handle 10 extra mg.

My face feels so raw and is so bad that I can't even cover it up well. I have 4 layers of makeup on and you can still see purple marks from a distance. I'm trying to remind myself it could be much worse, that my life could be much worse but I can't help from feeling horrible. I'm considering cancelling on my boyfriend tonight because I just feel horrible and want to sit inside with no makeup on.

how much do you weigh? i weigh 115-120 and my derm was iffy about upping my dosage too, so for the second month i only went from 30 to 40 mg. my face is raw too, and i have soo many purple marks all around my chin, mouth, and cheeks. i feel like putting concealer over them only makes them more obvious. i definitely feel you on the boyfriend thing. i don't have one, but i am dating someone and i went out last night with SO many cysts on my face and about five nasty whiteheads on my chin and i met all this guy's friends at a bar that LEAVES THE LIGHTS ON. what bar leaves the lights on?? ive never seen such a thing. thank god everyone was being so nice to me and i only felt a couple times like they were looking at my skin. since we started on the same day, let me know when your face starts clearing up for good so i have something to look forward to! i have a feeling mine is gonna take a while.

You are so positive and will surely have success this time around. I agree with you that Accutane may not permanently work but at least you will have a few more years and by then maybe your hormones will change where acne isn't a problem anyway.

Good luck!! You will get through this with clear skin. Hang in there!

Edited by kabandme

how much do you weigh? i weigh 115-120 and my derm was iffy about upping my dosage too, so for the second month i only went from 30 to 40 mg. my face is raw too, and i have soo many purple marks all around my chin, mouth, and cheeks. i feel like putting concealer over them only makes them more obvious. i definitely feel you on the boyfriend thing. i don't have one, but i am dating someone and i went out last night with SO many cysts on my face and about five nasty whiteheads on my chin and i met all this guy's friends at a bar that LEAVES THE LIGHTS ON. what bar leaves the lights on?? ive never seen such a thing. thank god everyone was being so nice to me and i only felt a couple times like they were looking at my skin. since we started on the same day, let me know when your face starts clearing up for good so i have something to look forward to! i have a feeling mine is gonna take a while.

I only weigh 95 lbs but I lied and said I weighed 100 but I guess he could tell I was lying. Yeah, it's like hmm do I want my marks to be red without concealer or purple with concealer? I guess I should choose based on what I'm wearing haha.

I think people can't help but look though unfortunately :( I hope you clear up soon!

You are so positive and will surely have success this time around. I agree with you that Accutane may not permanently work but at least you will have a few more years and by then maybe your hormones will change where acne isn't a problem anyway.

Good luck!! You will get through this with clear skin. Hang in there!

Thank you so much :) It really helps me to get comments like this.

aw i'm sorry you're having a rough few days. things will get better :)

have you ever tried green concealer? when i have a really red mark on my face i use Physician's Formula green concealer stick (a couple of bucks at drug stores). Dab a little bit on the spot and the green neutralizes the redness. Then just apply your normal foundation and if you use regular concealer on top as well! It works pretty well.

aw i'm sorry you're having a rough few days. things will get better :)

have you ever tried green concealer? when i have a really red mark on my face i use Physician's Formula green concealer stick (a couple of bucks at drug stores). Dab a little bit on the spot and the green neutralizes the redness. Then just apply your normal foundation and if you use regular concealer on top as well! It works pretty well.

Thank you :)

I tried it years ago when I was just begining to wear makeup. I'll go try some out though.

I hope you get the extra dosage/extended course, because you are too pretty to have to worry about acne. :) Good luck!

Thank you :)

Day 56

I'm still breaking out but the acne I'm getting now is more minor, and most importantly not painful. My face hurt sooo much earlier this week it's such a relief. I've noticed a shift in my mood/attitude as well and I think the break out helped me feel this way. I wasn't able to cover my breakout well despite my makeup skills and had to brave the world with bumps all over my face. It made me start to think "Yes I have acne, but so what?". I still wish for clear skin but before I'd cry over my looks and it held me back so much.

Here is a photo from day 51:

Day 51

And this is how my skin has improved in a few days:

Day 56

Still lots of red marks but I think I only have 3 active pimples.

My side effects are starting to go away as well. It could be due to the mild weather we've been having here though. My skin feels actually more moisturised than it did before Accutane. The redness on my face is going down a lot so I think once I get over this breakout I'll probably be able to get away with concealer and powder; no foundation.

I actually think your skin/texture looks pretty good! We're our own worst critics, ya know?! My side effects are going away too - kinda strange ... I expected to deal with them all the way through my course. Not complaining, though! :)

I know what you mean about the attitude change. Right before I started accutane I barely wanted to look in the mirror without makeup on --- difficult to do when you actually have to start applying the makeup! haha. But now, when I'm in the privacy of my own room of course, I can look in the mirror at my bumpy, red face and not shriek at the site. My skin isn't any better but I think knowing that I'm on the road to being clear has really helped!

-A

I actually think your skin/texture looks pretty good! We're our own worst critics, ya know?! My side effects are going away too - kinda strange ... I expected to deal with them all the way through my course. Not complaining, though! :)

Thank you :) It really makes it so much better to just have to deal with the acne and not the redness doesn't it? When I first started I think my red face bothered me more than my pimples.

I definitely see a lot of improvement. Congrats!

I know what you mean about the attitude change. Right before I started accutane I barely wanted to look in the mirror without makeup on --- difficult to do when you actually have to start applying the makeup! haha. But now, when I'm in the privacy of my own room of course, I can look in the mirror at my bumpy, red face and not shriek at the site. My skin isn't any better but I think knowing that I'm on the road to being clear has really helped!

-A

Yeah, knowing that things will just get better from here really helps.

Day 62

I have a bit of a breakout on the side of my face near my hairline but other than the fact that it hurts it doesn't bother me too much. I feel like my red marks are going down a lot which is amazing me as on my first course my red marks were made even worse by Accutane. My complexion is starting to look the same as it did before Accutane. I've always had pinky-pale skin so it's normal for me to have a little redness.

Day 62 # 1

Day 62 #2

Day 68

So my skin isn't changing much which is good because that means I'm not breaking out anymore. I don't want to stay I've "stopped" breaking out though incase I jinx myself.

My skin is looking and feeling pretty normal. I've really stopped thinking about acne even though I still have red marks. It's such a relief. I went to the doctors today and asked about horomone testing so I'm going next week to get bloodwork to check my horomone levels. Even though knowing if my acne is hormonal (which it most likely is) atleast I'll know why I have acne.

I won't jinx you, but ... yay for no actives! also, that's amazing that you've stopped thinking about acne 24/7... can't wait for that day!

let us know how the hormone test goes, i'm interested to hear about this! i think i should probably get this done down the line as well.

I won't jinx you, but ... yay for no actives! also, that's amazing that you've stopped thinking about acne 24/7... can't wait for that day!

let us know how the hormone test goes, i'm interested to hear about this! i think i should probably get this done down the line as well.

It will come soon!

My doctor said there's really not much they can do if your male horomones are too high besides taking the birth control pill. But atleast I'd know. It's pretty easy as all I have to do is get bloodwork (which I'm used to by now haha).