Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muddu

My Accutane story

Hello friends,

This is Muddu from India. I am 28 but have had severe acnes since I was 16-17. I saw lots dermatologists and took all forms of acne medicines but with absolutely no results. In 2004/2005, my doctor prescribed me Accutane. I'm forgetting the Indian version name but cost about $2.5/10 tablets. I was taking 1 tablet a day. After three-four 10-tab packs, the doctor asked me to switch to alternate days and he eventually asked me to stop it. My face was absolutely clear by then. I took no medicine for next two years but acne came back. I had moved to another city by then and had to consult a new doctor. This doctor again gave me the same medicine for about two months and my acne were completely gone. I have had very mild bursts of acnes in 2008-2009 but after taking dose of anti-biotic, they used to disappear. Recently they came back literally and I had to try Accutane. This time I tried on my own but before I could finish even one 10-tab pack, my acnes were gone! Today, after two months, I see acnes coming back again.

I have never completed a 4-6 month course and my acnes go away in first two weeks of Accutane course, normally. What do you guys suggest? Should I go ahead and take another 10-tabs pack or should I continue it for slightly longer? Or should I complete one full course of four-six months?

Thanks.

I hope you're seeing a derm who is perscribing you the medication. From what I understand accutane is cumulative and so there needs to be enough of it in your system for long term effect.

The last 10-tablet course I took without any prescription, however, all previous ones were prescribed by a derm.

By the way I forgot to mention that despite of using Accutane for about three times, the only side-effects I usually get are dry lips, dry/red skin and sometimes a little irritation in eyes (especially when I am working on my laptop). These side effects disappear as soon as a week of discontinuing the medicine.

I will see my derm again and ask if I should go for a full course of Accutane again.

The last 10-tablet course I took without any prescription, however, all previous ones were prescribed by a derm.

By the way I forgot to mention that despite of using Accutane for about three times, the only side-effects I usually get are dry lips, dry/red skin and sometimes a little irritation in eyes (especially when I am working on my laptop). These side effects disappear as soon as a week of discontinuing the medicine.

I will see my derm again and ask if I should go for a full course of Accutane again.

I would do a longer course (5-6 months) to try and alter your oil glands more permanently. Tell your doctor you want to reach a higher cumulative dose based on weight. see this calculator :

http://acnediaries.com/accutane-cumulative-dose-calculator/