Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Peppermint Oil

Peppermint oil!

As you all know, I've been on my low-protein diet for 1.5 years now (I'm surprised I'm still alive - acne drives a person to do crazy things ;)). Well I'm off the diet now!

I began rubbing peppermint oil on my face about 10 days ago. Then a week later I experimented: I ate a bean taco, a handful of nuts and took a bite of my friend's tofu burger. I almost cried afterward because I was so afraid of the huge pus-filled infections I expected to see the next day. Instead, the infections appear to be reduced.

Also, when I usually eat protein, my lips become severely chapped. Within hours they peel, break open and bleed for hours (without clotting). No amount of moisturizers or medications had effect on my lips. Over time, I learned that the extreme peeling always happened hand-in-hand with the acne. I've since learned that my extreme case of chapped lips was a form of "hyper-keritinization" -- my lips began flaking just like my face after eating off-limit foods. If I avoided my acne-trigger foods, my lips remained perfect.

So I rubbed peppermint oil on my lips after consuming the meal. I didn't think the oil could work in that amount of time, but I was desperate. Usually they begin to dry out a few hours later and the next day they pop open and begin to bleed and bleed and bleed. Instead, they remained perfect. I was shocked. :dance:

What a Christmas present!!!!

About Peppermint Oil: New research has found that it has antibiotic qualities (like BP) and also has strong anti-androgenic properties and greatly diminishes sebum production, flakiness and blackheads. So true! It is not "oily" - it kind of evaporates so I apply it with water.

Edited by Dotty1

Okay, now I am severely confused. You previously said that you were almost deathly allergic to protein....to the point (as you just confirmed) that you would have multiple acne cysts on your face from your body trying to purge. To rub something on your face one night topically (topicals usually take about a few weeks to fully work) wouldn't help an allergic reaction. Topicals in general do little for internal causes.

Logic indicates that you must be doing something else right. It is not the peppermint oil- unless you are taking it internally.

I was given an allergy test at the doctor's office and they found it was not an allergic reaction I was having toward the protein. They did not know why it was causing infections, blackheads and inflammation. I believe it is like people who find citrus causes their acne. We all have different foods that cause our acne.

But the peppermint oil has worked miracles because I haven't changed anything in my diet or regime.

Edited by Dotty1

Yes. It must be 100% pure peppermint oil.

Or you can go to the health food store and buy it there. They keep it with the "natural vanilla flavoring" and the "butterscotch flavoring."

During the first week, my eyes would tear for 10 minutes after applying it. Now they only tear for 1 minute. After 4 days, my skin began to dry and flake just like during the first week of BP or Retin-A. But after applying it, my skin feels ICEY. I read that the skin gets accustomed to it and that is exactly what happens -- although it is hard to believe at first.

I'm applying it almost pure because I haven't found if it can be diluted and still have the anti-androgenic effects. I am diluting it with water a little just to smooth it over my face because it isn't "oily" at all. I didn't want to dilute it with oil because peppermint oil is "water soluble" and can get deep into the sebum clogged pores. I know its anti-bacterial properties are effective until it is diluted to 1:100 with water. I use 3-5 drops on my face.

Edited by Dotty1

During the first week, my eyes would tear for 10 minutes after applying it. Now they only tear for 1 minute. After 4 days, my skin began to dry and flake just like during the first week of BP or Retin-A. But after applying it, my skin feels ICEY. I read that the skin gets accustomed to it and that is exactly what happens -- although it is hard to believe at first.

I'm applying it almost pure because I haven't found if it can be diluted and still have the anti-androgenic effects. I am diluting it with water a little just to smooth it over my face because it isn't "oily" at all. I didn't want to dilute it with oil because peppermint oil is "water soluble" and can get deep into the sebum clogged pores. I know its anti-bacterial properties are effective until it is diluted to 1:100 with water. I use 3-5 drops on my face.

Maybe I'll try it once I run out of BP or something. Though I think I'd rather dilute it. My skin burns easily. I used a massively diluted concoction of ACV and water and it left me with burn marks all over my face.

The reason I stopped using BP was because it is classified as a Class III drug: Promotes skin cancer and aging just like UV damage. And its long-term side effects are unknown.

I just looked at my skin under a very bright light and my forehead skin is flat -- it looks like I've had all the pores "cleaned out" professionally. It is as if the peppermint oil went into each pore and carried out the clogged sebum somehow :doh:.

Oh, and the pores are completely closed -- not gaping open.

Edited by Dotty1

The reason I stopped using BP was because it is classified as a Class III drug: Promotes skin cancer and aging just like UV damage. And its long-term side effects are unknown.

I used to be into all that hype about it promoting cancer. The only tests that have ever proven such were when they used 100% BP on mice - a far cry from the 2.5-10% used for acne.

It does promote aging, though and I've noticed a lot more scarring than usual since starting it, but it has worked best for me so far - I definitely hope to be able to discontinue usage without worry of breakouts. I hate using it. :/

I just looked at my skin under a very bright light and my forehead skin is flat -- it looks like I've had all the pores "cleaned out" professionally. It is as if the peppermint oil went into each pore and carried out the clogged sebum somehow :doh:.

Oh, and the pores are completely closed -- not gaping open.

I hope you're right about that because ever since I started BP, my forehead has developed those small fleshy bumps. They aren't red or inflamed, but I never had them before.

Like I said, I'll give it a go once I run out.

sounds like another thing to add to the 843454372335 products I've already tried lol. Cool to hear that there's actually been a study on this though, usually i'm pretty skeptical when it comes to topicals.

This topical works like Retin-A: The effects are visible in a few days, it is slightly drying (in the beginning), it stops infections just as good as a pharmaceutical product and it really reduces oil.

Edited by Dotty1

This topical works like Retin-A: The effects are visible in a few days, it is slightly drying (in the beginning), it stops infections just as good as a pharmaceutical product and it really reduces oil.

So it causes an IB?

It didn't cause me to have an initial breakout. In fact, all my past infections dried out by day 3. But it does cause drying, so expect your skin to begin to flake off.

Dr. Oz is a TV doctor who tries to turn people's health problems around on a TV "reality" show via natural remedies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFat_uSoptQ

Edited by Dotty1

Dr.Oz talked about Peppermint Oil being the 'cure' to acne.

Where is the reference where he says that? Not saying i don't believe you, would just like to read it;)

Dr.Oz talked about Peppermint Oil being the 'cure' to acne.

Where is the reference where he says that? Not saying i don't believe you, would just like to read it;)

Well I was at the gym, and it was on his show I just didn't pay much attention. But, I'm trying to find it on youtube but have no luck will try to get back to you with a reference.

I am stationed in small town and i do not have the luxury of getting things like this at a natural healthy food store or something. So i am guessing i can not get this at like walmart or CVS or something like that eh?