Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gMARIAs

Quitting BCP: Any foods or tricks to stop the onslaught of hormonal acne and hair loss?

After much consideration, I've decided to set aside my birth control pills, figuring they'd be doing more harm than good in the long run. However, I've read tons of horror stories about women quitting and suffering long periods of horrible acne and drastic hair loss.

I'm sure I'll be no stranger to the after effects as my body attempts to regulate itself, which is even more confusing because I was never "regular" to begin with. Is there any way that diet can help regulate hormones and possibly help or prevent these nasty effects from occuring while helping to regulate menstruation?

Anyone have the links from alternavista's sig?

PCOS

you might have

Women suffering from horrible acne and hairloss isn't unusual after quitting birth control. It doesn't imply PCOS

oki doki

birth control is a common treatment for pcos

Yes, but women without PCOS suffer from this side affects after quitting. It's possible, but not an automatic link.

no?

so what does BCP do exactly to your body? what is it providing? why does it work?

You're missing the point. If you suffer from severe acne, hair loss, and other symptoms BEFORE being put on birth control, then yes, you may have it. But once you stop taking birth control, your body has to regulate itself and start making it's own hormones. This can throw your body out of whack for a while.

The acne and hair loss caused by quitting birth control is usually temporary until your body regulates itself. Temporarily having these problems because your body is regulating itself does not automatically mean you have PCOS.

Like I said, it's possible, but it doesn't automatically mean such.

B complex vitamin and fish oil are said to balance hormones. Saw palmetto and flax seed (for women, particularly) also balance, and drinking green tea lowers androgens (which the birth control does). Taking apple cider vinegar internally also is said to keep the body in balance. I am thinking about doing the same. I've always been natural and i hate the idea of synthetic hormones. I did this all for my skin. Hopefully i can have clear skin without it, too. good luck. and how long have you been on yours?

B complex vitamin and fish oil are said to balance hormones. Saw palmetto and flax seed (for women, particularly) also balance, and drinking green tea lowers androgens (which the birth control does). Taking apple cider vinegar internally also is said to keep the body in balance. I am thinking about doing the same. I've always been natural and i hate the idea of synthetic hormones. I did this all for my skin. Hopefully i can have clear skin without it, too. good luck. and how long have you been on yours?

I need to pick up some Carlson's liquid fish oil. Most reviews I've found say it's the best. I know I have some B-Complex vitamins I can take as well. For my anti-candida diet, I'll be drinking ACV anyhow, so hopefully it'll lessen the after effects.

I, too, hate synthetic stuff and most medical pills. People rely too heavily on these things, or even pain relievers like Tylenol and what not. If I feel bad, I just take it easy and let my body work it's magic.

I've been on birth control for maybe a bit over a year. I think it's been roughly around 1 year and 3 months. I'm hoping that with diet and a healthier lifestyle, I can keep my skin under control - though it's technically what most people consider "mild" acne, but it's sure persistent. I'm also concerned about the hair loss, though. A lot of my hair fell out a few months AFTER starting the birth control to begin with. I don't want to lose anymore - though I suppose it should only be temporary.

I would try cutting dairy from your diet. One of the theories about how dairy causes acne is that the hormones given to dairy cows end up in milk products, which can affect your body and cause a hormonal imbalance.

Some people have also had luck cutting sugar, gluten, and meat from their diets, but I think this was due to food sensitivity/allergy, I don't think it had to do with hormones.

Right now I WANT to quit birth control, but I'm too nervous about breaking out to stop taking it. Good luck to you!

I would try cutting dairy from your diet. One of the theories about how dairy causes acne is that the hormones given to dairy cows end up in milk products, which can affect your body and cause a hormonal imbalance.

Some people have also had luck cutting sugar, gluten, and meat from their diets, but I think this was due to food sensitivity/allergy, I don't think it had to do with hormones.

Right now I WANT to quit birth control, but I'm too nervous about breaking out to stop taking it. Good luck to you!

I don't consume dairy. I just don't like the stuff, really. XP But an anti-candida diet consists of no sugar, gluten, wheat, yeast, dairy and so on anyhow, so maybe it'll help.

I'm REALLY nervous about breaking out, too. But it was consolation when my boyfriend seemed very unconcerned when I jokingly told him to be prepared to see me bald with a horrible face. He just assured me he didn't really care about that stuff and as long as I was fine and healthy, then he didn't really care how I looked. It was also consolation to realize all the crap BCP can cause - high blood pressure, liver problems (over really long periods of time) and it can cause dependency on it. I figure the longer I wait, the more likely and worse these after affects are likely to be.

I need to pick up some Carlson's liquid fish oil. Most reviews I've found say it's the best. I know I have some B-Complex vitamins I can take as well. For my anti-candida diet, I'll be drinking ACV anyhow, so hopefully it'll lessen the after effects.

I, too, hate synthetic stuff and most medical pills. People rely too heavily on these things, or even pain relievers like Tylenol and what not. If I feel bad, I just take it easy and let my body work it's magic.

I've been on birth control for maybe a bit over a year. I think it's been roughly around 1 year and 3 months. I'm hoping that with diet and a healthier lifestyle, I can keep my skin under control - though it's technically what most people consider "mild" acne, but it's sure persistent. I'm also concerned about the hair loss, though. A lot of my hair fell out a few months AFTER starting the birth control to begin with. I don't want to lose anymore - though I suppose it should only be temporary.

Uck. Totally let your body work its magic. The body is one of the most wonderful machines ever. I feel like had I not f===ed it up to begin with (with the BP, the birth control, the makeup, etc.) I would have been fine. When you throw your body out of its natural whack, its PH and its hormonal balance especially, everything will try to compensate to acclimate to the change. Its setting yourself up for disaster, I think. But of course, once you get yourself into the mess, like I did, you try anything and everything to get clear. Even if its synthetic or chemical. :(

Uck. Totally let your body work its magic. The body is one of the most wonderful machines ever. I feel like had I not f===ed it up to begin with (with the BP, the birth control, the makeup, etc.) I would have been fine. When you throw your body out of its natural whack, its PH and its hormonal balance especially, everything will try to compensate to acclimate to the change. Its setting yourself up for disaster, I think. But of course, once you get yourself into the mess, like I did, you try anything and everything to get clear. Even if its synthetic or chemical. :(

The way I see it, is that once your off the chemicals, which you probably can't be on forever, all the problems will probably return and possibly worse (BCP)

Medical breakthroughs are great, but abused, I think.

have you looked into taking vitex after you come off the pill? it will help to balance your estrogen to progesterone levels.

Is that another medical drug? If so, I'd rather not.

careful with fish oil if you're oily- all nutritional oils make my skin produce more oil and then I breakout more. My body prefers vitamins through food only. If you're already eating healthy, no dairy etc -you could just give your body a chance to adjust and then see if you need anything else.

careful with fish oil if you're oily- all nutritional oils make my skin produce more oil and then I breakout more. My body prefers vitamins through food only. If you're already eating healthy, no dairy etc -you could just give your body a chance to adjust and then see if you need anything else.

My skin isn't really all that oily. It'll dry out before it gets oilier.

Hopefully, my body will adjust!

have you looked into taking vitex after you come off the pill? it will help to balance your estrogen to progesterone levels.

No it's an herb that helps pituitary function. And other than that, my suggestion is to eat very well, sleep, exercise, avoid stress etc. Fish oil is always a good. Herbals like vitex or mint tea. Eat a lot of sulfur containing veggies which also tend to be very nutrient dense and anti-inflammatory, to help liver function so it can flush excess hormones.

No it's an herb that helps pituitary function. And other than that, my suggestion is to eat very well, sleep, exercise, avoid stress etc. Fish oil is always a good. Herbals like vitex or mint tea. Eat a lot of sulfur containing veggies which also tend to be very nutrient dense and anti-inflammatory, to help liver function so it can flush excess hormones.

Thanks for the post. I wanted to book mark the links in your signature!

I'll just have to look up which veggies contain sulfur

Broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, and the like, onions, garlic...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574124

Chop garlic, onions fine and let sit for at least 5-10 minutes before cooking. This crushes the fibers which gets enzymes working to release nutrients before the enzymes get destroyed by cooking. Same is true of the other veggies, but only helpful if you want those chopped up small.

Broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, and the like, onions, garlic...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574124

Chop garlic, onions fine and let sit for at least 5-10 minutes before cooking. This crushes the fibers which gets enzymes working to release nutrients before the enzymes get destroyed by cooking. Same is true of the other veggies, but only helpful if you want those chopped up small.

Thank you. I was reading up on making homemade saurkraut with cabbage and sea salt. Would that be okay, then?

Broccoli and spinach are pretty much my favorite veggies so that shouldn't be too difficult.