Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoST-

PDT w/ blue light

I have moderate/severe acne. Have it all with a couple cysts.

I was expecting this to clear me at least 75%. I've had 3 treatments, have my 4th tomorrow.

It hasn't done jack shit. Anybody else in the same boat?

Edited by LoST-

I had 5 PDT Treatment at Celibre. It help it at first, but didn't do shit in the end; my acne grew back. The problem with PDT is that it completely roasted my skin for about a week or two(like a burn victim).

ANYONE DOING THIS!!! STOP and consider it. USE IT AS A LAST RESORT. It will help after your skin scabs up and peels with there's not much downtime. Picture Freddy Kreuger but worse.

Agreed. I went through weeks of hell and got nothing out of it. I decided against yesterdays treatment.

Now gonna try Dan's regimen.

I had it done today... I'm not feeling burnt or anything afterwards which is not normal. Maybe it was not an aggresive procedure. I'm kind of worried why it's not hurting. My skin feels the same as before the procedure and looks the same.

I've been thinking about getting a blue light treatment to shrink my pores and get rid of freckles. My doctor said that it would help me out a lot. Will blue light actually do this?

I had 5 PDT Treatment at Celibre. It help it at first, but didn't do shit in the end; my acne grew back. The problem with PDT is that it completely roasted my skin for about a week or two(like a burn victim).

ANYONE DOING THIS!!! STOP and consider it. USE IT AS A LAST RESORT. It will help after your skin scabs up and peels with there's not much downtime. Picture Freddy Kreuger but worse.

Hi Sbui. We were wondering how long it was before your acne came back. We tell our patients that there is no cure for acne, including accutane, so that additional treatments may be required in the future. Many patients are willing to undergo the PDT procedures if they can improve their acne for a period of time, say 6 months a year or two years.

I just had this done yesterday (made a post about it)

As of now, my face is very red except for around the eyes where the goggles were.

Personally, Im starting t doubt it already. I mean, I hate the fact that it looks like the dude getting married in the hangover in the last scene...which prevents me from going out, socializing, etc. Once all this redness does clear (Im hoping by monday when I work) will the spots I had still be red or will they fade too? Will it get worse before it gets better? Is putting on pounds of lotion to prevent more redness smart?

I already paid $250 for the first treatment but Im really already second guessing how this whole thinng works.. any advice?

I'll keep you guys all updated, but honestly, I'm really hoping I see enough results to go in for the next appt, as of now, I doubt it's worth it.

I know this is an old post, so I thought I'd share my experience with PDT at Celibre...and although the atmosphere at the clinic itself is friendly and informative; they lack straightforwardness and sincerity. After having 4 PDT sessions, all with BLUE LIGHT afterwards, had little to no effect on clearing my acne. I don't think I ever updated, but check out some of my old posts...haa, this is me updating. Also, Celibre told me this is the second most intense cystic acne treatment next to Accutane...and that most people experience a remission period, I don't think I ever experienced that, if anything. my acne worsened at several points...anyways, this entire process ended up costing my parents and I $4,000...so yeah, had I been more patient and aware of other treatments, I most likely would have avoided PDT...might work for some, but I don't think it works for most...

...so ever since, I've just been sticking it with the Regime, inexpensive yet effective.

p.s. I had pretty severe cystic acne, but I was about 17-18 at the time, It's been 2 years and my hormones have more than likely died down or something...so now I just worry a little more about my hyper pigmentation and scarring.

[hopefully somebody reads this]

Edited by WakeUp

has it pdt with blue light helped texture and tone? yous should do it with red lighht then or pdl, penetrates deeper

Hi,

I had 3 PDT treatments for Oily skin on my face. (I have acne on my body, but only very minor acne on my face. My face is severely oily.)

I had some improvement in skin texture, pore size, and small icepick scars that were more like enlarged pores. The smoothness is definitely really nice. I was hoping for a decrease in oil, and I got a very minor reduction in oil. I don't think it was very effective.

I do have less acne on my face, but I didn't have very much to begin with.

I would say PDT is not very effective for the price, but if you have money to spend and you have tried everything else, it could be a very good thing to experiment with.

Advice:

It is more effective with a longer incubation time. (Incubation means the amount of time they let your skin absorb the Levulan before you get it activated by light.) You can increase the effectiveness by exposing your skin to sun for 10 minutes the next day (not longer.) I wouldn't try that if you have medium or dark pigmentation in your skin unless your derm advises it, because you can get pigmentation blotchyness and things if you overdo PDT. Super pale skin is safer for the extra next-day treatment. A medical esthetician told me that some people advise their clients to do the extra treatment the following day in the sun. I did it each time, and good additional peeling and a more intense treatment.

Also, I advise ordering 5% lidocane cream (available on Amazon) to ease the pain after your treatment.

I also recommend taking prescription painkillers and/or sedatives for the day of your treatment. The time sitting under the light is extremely painful. I took a percocet and .5mg xanax. Obviously you don't want to mix higher doses of those two drugs together, but if you take them regularly anyway you know what your body can handle. I really found it helpful to medicate. The treatment was so intense. Don't make yourself suffer more than necessary! Take meds if you have them!