Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sweetie021100

Is spiro NOT working for e?

Hi I've been on spiro since Aug. 2009 25mg twice a day.. Didn't seem to work.. still broke out some.. The Derm upped my dose to 5o mgs twice a day.. since Nov 2009.. Still breaking out some. instead of breaking out before or during my period I now break out after my period.. I go back to Derm in Feb 2010.. should I asked to up the dose or just stick with it? What dose does everyone else take? I don't take bcp.. thanks

I might try to take the 100mg once a day...you won't need the ok from your derm and you should see by February if it helps you make that last bit of improvement you need. You should probably keep in mind that many people don't see full results unitl month 6....as frustrating as that may be to hear.. Has your acne improved at all??

I might try to take the 100mg once a day...you won't need the ok from your derm and you should see by February if it helps you make that last bit of improvement you need. You should probably keep in mind that many people don't see full results unitl month 6....as frustrating as that may be to hear.. Has your acne improved at all??

yes it has improved.. so you think maybe taking it once a day instead of twice a day is better? I'll give that a try.. thanks

I am in a similar position. I started spiro begining of september and since starting two 50 mg pills a day my acne just seemed to be getting worse and worse. I guess in your case you said your still breaking out though its helped some. The acne began to just cover the whole bottom half of my face with cysts even on my neck and it seemed every pore on my face was clogged even after 2 months of being on it. I kept taking reluctantly but lowered my dose to one 50mg pill a day and gradually my acne got better..but then I KEPT breaking out! I decided I would find out what happened if I stopped taking it all together..after 5 days of completely stopping it my skin started to clear up DRAMATICALLY. Better than it had been before Spiro! I don't know whats going on here, it doesn't make sense but something tells me its not the right treatment for me. Also through out the course I had several side effects that I hadn't heard of anyone else having. My advice to you is listen to your body. I would say its normal to experience an inital breakout during the first month of treatment but if it keeps getting worse and worse theres something wrong, your bodys trying to tell you something. It's good to discover the true cause of your acne. True acne is caused by hormones but there is a reason behind whats casuing you to have a hormonal imbalance. Could be a food allergy, high amount of heavy metals in the organs, thyroid problems or any number of reasons and controlling amount of androgens (testoterone hormone) that cause oil production may work for some but not all.. that's what my naturepath told me

I take 50mg twice daily and it's silly but I find it works better if you take it the same time every day. I know there are other posts as to why chemically this happens but I find it does help.

Smk28.. You are right good suggestion!! one I actually started following when I was bumped to 100mg a day as well. so after the bump up and taking it at the same time every single day (no matter what time zone I am in) does seem to help as well.. But yea I guess its also possible that its not right for YOU.. Only you would be the judge though we each know our own skin best. GOOD LUCK!!