Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
West-Coast_Skater

Scotty's Differin Experience

well i guess im making this into a log like all the other ones ive seen on this board. if your using adapalene too please comment on how your doing too!

Okay so first id like to say im a 15 year old male, and ive had acne since i was about 11 or twelve. I have moderate acne, no cysts or anything, just a tonna clogged pores and a few pimples always seem to be scattered over my face. Not the worst but enough to keep my head turned to the side when talking to someone so they dont see my new zit. Ive tried almost everything: salicylic acid, tea tree oil, scrubs, benzoyl peroxide. And ive tried all those systems: nuetrogena, acnefree, proactiv, and clearasil.

But they didnt work and i settled for my own system- a gentle wash every morning and night followed by a 10% bp creme (which by the way does wonders, is cheap, and in my opinion is the best over the counter solution money can buy)

I finally went to a derm and he gave me free samples of all this stuff like Duac and Ziana and Differin but i didnt know what to use. I looked them up and this is what i found

Duac- 1% clindamycin/ 5% bp

Ziana- 1.2% clindamycin/ .025% tretinoin

Differin- .3% adapalene

well i knew duac and ziana were out of the question, because i deal with mostly closed comedomes and i dont want to be using any antibiotic like clindamycin in my system. the doctor did say differin is a little strong, but since i use 10% bp every morning and night it shouldnt be that bad

so far, after two nights of applying it all over my face after using a gentle soap free nuetrogena wash, nothing has changed. no difference in acne, no redness, no peeling or flaking. and no initial breakout (yet)

i guess ill keep you guys posted and try to contribute as much as i can, feel free to do the same :dance:

Edited by West-Coast_Skater

Day 3

seen an improvement since yesterday, but could just be a coincidence.

my pores seem smaller and my acne spots have gotten less red (but only a little)

so far no dryness or redness so thats good too:)

Day 4

Same as yesterday, not much to report. Pores seem smaller, which is good.

Going to the beach for the whole day, so i guess ill put the whole "sun sensitivity" to the test. Good thing i have sunscreen

(end of day 4)

just got back, and no sunburn or redness or anything! didnt feel the need to use sunscreen because of the overcast and windy weather. i must have tough skin or something, cuz this is nothing compared to 10% bp i used to use

What i'm finding hard with Differin is that it takes sooo long to really work. My GP says to use it for 3 months to see if it has any decent results with my acne. It's interesting that your pores are becoming smaller from it already, i've only been applying it around actives, and problem areas. So I might start adding it to some yucky pores I have - even though they don't flare up with actives at all.

I really wish there was something you could apply in the PM, wake up, and have beautiful skin hahah.

Edited by Chandy

I really wish there was something you could apply in the PM, wake up, and have beautiful skin hahah.

ditto!!

and goodluck westcoastskater!! speaking of the beach, i was at newport the other day and it was beautiful!

Edited by aprilmay

Day 5

nothing much to report, healed pimples always seem to be replaced by new ones, same as always

i did notice one thing though: under my right eye next to my nose my skin is a little dry and crusty, so i must have got some there last night. so as a note to anybody using differin, DO NOT PUT IT NEAR YOUR EYES

Day 10- MY INITIAL BREAKOUT HAS BEGUN (i think)

okay so around day 7 in the morning i noticed a few more clogged pores and some inflamed. nothing big, since i usually break out like this. but now they have gotten bigger and theres more of them, and im beginning to think that this is the IB because is dont usually get breakouts as bad as this and they are usually more spread out with a few pimples a day. my mom described my face as more "bumpy" and i think this is because my skin is getting thinner and my pores are being rapidly clogged with dead skin.

has anybody else had their IB around this time? (week1/week2)

please help me because i want to know if it is or not and when itll go away

hey i just started differin last night and like u i dont have any dryness and my face feels sticky all the time when my derm said it should feel tight !?

Although ive had new spots already from using it but i was expecting that due to my period ... does your face feel dry at all yet from using it 10 days or so ?

I ahve to use this for 6 weeks before i get roaccutane.

hey i just started differin last night and like u i dont have any dryness and my face feels sticky all the time when my derm said it should feel tight !?

Although ive had new spots already from using it but i was expecting that due to my period ... does your face feel dry at all yet from using it 10 days or so ?

I ahve to use this for 6 weeks before i get roaccutane.

so far there hasnt been any dryness or tightness at all. and yeah the extra oil does give it somewhat of a sticky feeling i guess

is it the .1% or .3%?

its the .1% onyl thing i have notices is that if i get spots they kinda raise up in a white head pop in the shower and go down without there being any scabbing .... i thought today umm mmy skin looks better but it was just cos its not as red or dry as normal there are lots of spots under the skin . ive been putting on BP 5% in the morning because otherwise its so greasy which my derm told me not to do !

are you on any oral meds ?

thanks for replying its nice to see what other people are going through aswell :)

Happy New Year aswell :)

i didnt put BP on today and....... outbreak ! i recon by wed or thurs i will have had a pretty bad outbreak and skin is going looking bad umph

Day 16IB over already?

over these last six days, my skin has pretty much gone back to normal. this got me wondering : is my IB really this short, or was that just a regular breakout made worse due to irritation from the differin?

either way im super thankful it got better! our schools winter ball was yesterday and i was happy to take some pictures with my date (i would post them, but then again this is a public forum)

overall, id have to say my skin hasnt really changed that much. hopefully ill see some improvements in the next few days :)

day 18

breakout again:/

haha im not noticing any consistency in this. i have clear skin then i break out. clear skin, break out. i cant even tell if its working better or worse than i had before and its almost been 3 weeks!!

so i dont know if the IBs over or if it even started yet... guess ill have to wait and see

day 18

breakout again:/

haha im not noticing any consistency in this. i have clear skin then i break out. clear skin, break out. i cant even tell if its working better or worse than i had before and its almost been 3 weeks!!

so i dont know if the IBs over or if it even started yet... guess ill have to wait and see

Keep going man, I have been using the .1% for just over 2 months, (and I'm also on oral med Minocycline) and my acne was on the verge of being categorized as "servere" and now I have one pimple on my neck and thats all! before i started i must have had at least.. 20-40 pimples of all sizes all over the face and neck and they are all gone. Trust me stick with it, I still have another couple of weeks to go but once your at the stage where I'm at your progress should look extremely promising! :)

I'm going to agree with patfellover here. Just stop thinking about your skin and go on with the course. Focus on something else if you can.

Day 22

acne flare-up has gone down again. this time, my skin is actually looking better than my skin before differin except for the existing red marks. i know im gonna get another breakout sooner or later, but at least i know this stuff is working :)

Day 29

skin looking much much better. pimples have been coming regularly, but no severe breakouts. less red marks and the pimples seem to go away much quicker. still dont use moisturizers, but i might start applying one with sunscreen in the mornings if my skin starts becoming sensitive to the sun

however, i still have a feeling the IBs not over yet...

Hey,

Just so you know i dont see any consistency with differin either, its just making my skin so much worse ... the only benefits so far are the skin that i dont have spots on has a healthy glow to it.

I had on week one a giant chin out break only to be followed on week two by one cheek break out followed on week three by other cheek and now week four my nose has broken out. ( i dont use on my forehead as its clear thanks to bp 5 and has been for 6 years)

chin out break from week one has now cleared althoug i seem to get on spot a day on there but they clear fast ... still have a lot fo scars on there but i think they are clearing. cheek one has now all cleared just scars. so lets hope they dont break out again and now everywhere possible has had its breakout i can start to clear..... if not four weeks till roaccutane !

Differin does seem to be clearing blackheads though hehe :)

Day 38

keep on getting breakouts over and over again, this has been going on for awhile.

skin looks bad, many clogged pores, many become inflamed

today its looking pretty good, but its still worse than when i started differin

Day 38

keep on getting breakouts over and over again, this has been going on for awhile.

skin looks bad, many clogged pores, many become inflamed

today its looking pretty good, but its still worse than when i started differin

good luck. if i remember correctly from another thread, we started on differin right about the same time.

this is the end of week 6 for me. i was pretty clear almost the whole time but broke out a bit this past week. i've started using a moisturizer (cetaphil spf 15) for the past couple weeks.

overall, i can't really tell if the differin is working or not. i guess i'll just keep using it for the minimum three months and see what happens. we're getting there!

if it's any reassurance, i've just finished my 3rd month of differin gel and mino tabs and my right cheek is pretty much fully clear besides a lot of red marks left from acne, it has difeintly helped me to a certain extenct but i don't know if its the differin working or the minocycline, im hoping by the end of my fourth month i become clear and stop getting mini breakouts so i have time to heal the red marks, this is good progress considering the derm told me to be patient and wait 6 month's for maximum results