Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crevin

Adult MALES with acnce-- DO YOU LIFT WEIGHTS?

I read a lot of stuff about acne in females being related to hormone "imbalances." So I was thinking about weight-lifting, which increases androgen production. I didn't start getting acne until I was about 18 or 19, and am now 25. I started lifting weights religiously when I was about 18 or so. Could I have messed up the hormone balance in my body? I have six siblings and am the only one with any acne problems. I am also the only one who lifts weights. I realize a lot of people who go to the gym don't have acne, but everyone's body is different. Maybe some of us can't handle the increase in androgen production brought about by strenuous weight lifting.

Just a thought--

Hey there! I have been lifting 3-4 times/week for about 3 years, but am currently nursing a torn pectoral. I don't think it has effected my acne, but had the same worries as you did when I started. Certain supplements are known to increase acne and those I stay away from.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I haven't gotten a single cyst on my chin or nose area in nearly three weeks. I haven't worked out in approximately a month. I was just thinking of how much stress and strain you put on your body when you lift weights and grit your teeth for that last rep-- and also all the androgen production you are stimulating by adding on muscle...

I'll keep you posted.

Nah it makes no difference for me. In fact working out seems to help. I think if I masturbate a lot and don't work out I break out, but if I workout it might counter something that results from masturbation, making breakouts less likely.

It def affected my acne. Either that or the increased Chicken/Dairy/Protein powder consumption. I wish I didn't set my eyes on the gym lol especially as I've lost a lot of my gains over the past 9 months.

This is going to sound bizzarre but last year I read thread here about body acne after working out and it being cleard by this shampoo that contains ketoconazole (basically dandruff shampoo).

I work out a lot and i looked it up and a ton of weightlifters use this to clear up their acne. I bought a small bottle at walmart called Nizoral and whenever I have a flair up and it is gone the next day. I scrub it in my skin and leave it for a minute to sit-and then rinse. Its so great- especially in the summer when it gets worse. hope it helps.

Your thread prompted me to get an account.

Similarly started lifting weighs at 18 and am now 27. Was even in powerlifting club for a while. Had an enforced rest from weights for one year at 24 made no difference to acne condition.

Am now thinking that perhaps it could be the sweat leading to sub-dermal dehydration that blocks pores? Dried sweat then irritates skin and bacteria have a feast.

Some guys get them, and others doing/taking same things don't. Weight lifting probably isn't the problem, but it might exacerbate it.

Recently saw dermatologist and started isotretonin after 9 year break and the problem is slowly going away.

I lift lightly 4 times a week and don't believe it effects my acne. Cardio on the other hand tends to inflame existing acne.

Hmmm strange, most people say that cardio is good for acne, but Im the same as you, when I lift weights I dont really breakout, but cardio makes me breakout like mad

I lift weights like mad.

I've only noticed breakouts from exercising when I sweat profusely... like, just pouring sweat. Or when I'm rubbing up against equipment or abrasive pads of sorts.

That's me personally tho

When i started taking protein shakes with my weightlifting, it made me break out like hell. So some supplements may cause trouble for the skin. Creatine didn't seem to cause breakouts for me though.